NPT vs BSP thread type in a new set-up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for cheap 3\8" NPT ss fittings for new Brew Bucket valve.
Need 304 SS barb, 304 SS nipple, SS lock nuts & maybe something similar to this which should (hopefully) get that BB pickup tube working ok? --------- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130685801568?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Any help appreciated.

PS ---- Don't suppose anyone has a link to lengths of 3\8" NPT ss All-Thread????????????????????
This would be excellent! :super:

Hey TP, I found this guy on ebay and am waiting for an 1/2" to 8mm comp fitting. Price was cheap but it took two weeks to notify me it had been posted so not holding my breath. If it turns up soon I'll let you know.
As for 3/8" all thread (tube I assume) have you tried Geordi or Protech? If they don't have it they could probably source it. You may have to buy more than you need though.

Thanks for your help Camo, :)
I'll check out that Evilbay link.
As you've probably worked out by now, all I'm looking for is a sanitary way of kegging from my new Brew Bucket as the (supplied) ball valve could do with an upgrade ASAP. ;)

MastersBrewery said:
What is this dark magic you speak of?
hey mate
No dark magic just some advice from my experience the the oil and gas/ mining industry. I wanted to share so mistakes can be avoided.
Bspp threads should always be sealed with the dowdy, o-ring or washer. A dowdy seal is a metal washer with a rubber insert to seal. This is used alot in hydraulics. The o-rings will seal around the stem which more often than not will have an o-ring seat(smooth recess). This will also retain the seal in place.
Good fittings make life easy with no leaks or blowouts. Nothing worse when you're right in the middle of a brew.

Happy brewing

On Tap
1 English Pale Ale
2 Hoegaarden
3 Oktoberfest
4 nil
5 nil

I think he was having a subtle dig at your spelling of Dowty Seal, rather than asking what one was.

On the other topic, you're correct. I'll elaborate on why I think you're also wrong and the definition of quality at a later date when I can get near a proper computer.

Sorry, that reply sounded rather rude, which was not my intention.

While it's nice to use the proper gear and matching thread forms, it's not a realistic proposition for most of the tight arsed homebrewers out there. Most weldless fittings, the kind that use an all thread nipple are 1/2" BSPP or NPP, and most will try to use a 1/2" BSP or NPT ball valve for example, as that is all that is readily available. I've done it myself, but probably with a better degree of success, because I have access to the right gear and equipment to tap the BSPT thread out to BSPP so I can get more than 2 threads of engagement. I know parallel pipe threads are designed to have some sort of seal like a Dowty seal or some other sort of thing like a crush washer, but honestly for the type of joints we use, it's not going to work most of the time because there's nothing to sandwich the seal between. I use a high temp sealant like Loctite 577, which is also certified for potable water and won't change the taste of your beer. It also fills the root gaps on the thread and limits the ability of wort to get in and turn rancid. Most guys will use some sort of nasty thread tape, which is what i draw the line at.

Ultimately, it does not matter if we match BSPP with NPT or BSPP as long as it does the job required. That it's fit for purpose, which is the definition of quality. A Ferrari might be a quality motor car for most people, but it isn't if you live 12 miles up a rough dirt track at the back of Dubbo. An old Hilux covered in dings and scratches is a much better proposition.

Sorry, rabbiting on a bit now.

Buy a 1/2" BSPP tap, some sealant and don't get too caught up with thread forms. We're not trying to send a man to the moon here.

Cheers,

FB.

Reminds me of the time I went into the local pump shop to get some fittings for the house pump..tank water blah..blah...blah

In the corner was a pressure pump with attached pressure tank....for all the world to see

I kid you not, it had a ball of silicon as big as a soccer ball around the whole assembly

Old mate had used different threaded pipe, and to stop the leak he kept trying to cover it in silicon...about 20 tubes

So I guess it pays to get your threads right first time..

Mardoo said:
Hey FB, what's the issue with thread tape? Never heard anyone dis it before so I'm curious.
Agreed.
I use pink plumbers tape, and generally strip & reassemble my ball valves & weldless fittings with each brew.
What do you perceive as the issue with thread tape?

Might think about giving the loctite a go... used to use it way back when doing assembly work at a engineering joint. At least for the bits I don't anticipate removing periodically.

Then again I do remember someone here having serious issues with off flavours (Wiggman?) - might pay ot know which sealant was used there.

And for what it's worth - since starting this thread I have mixed some BSP & NPT bits (mostly BSP camlock ends on NPT ball valves) and haven't had any issues. Although where possible I'll try and match like to like.

Most of my stuff is NPT now, except for pumps, pump fittings and camlocks, and I've taken to marking my BSP pieces to indicate such.

mofox1 said:
Might think about giving the loctite a go... used to use it way back when doing assembly work at a engineering joint. At least for the bits I don't anticipate removing periodically.

Then again I do remember someone here having serious issues with off flavours (Wiggman?) - might pay ot know which sealant was used there.
Wiggmans issue was eventually tracked back to a silicone sealant not lock tight

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/76055-all-grain-3v-electric-system/?p=1129061

Bit of both, which made it all hard. "Bleugh *wretch* plastic!", remove variable and rebrew. "Bleugh less offensive plastic!", remove variable and rebrew.
To be honest I've carried on a bit too much regarding the use of sealants as mine were not rated for food-contact applications (though the Boston sealant is water safe and has a large temp range). But when you had the fury of 1000 suns going like I did I beleive I was warranted to overreact.

I hypocritically have a mix of fittings and bought what was available. All BSP though. There aren't many connections that some elbow grease and a few more turns of plumbers' tape can't fix. This attitude absoutely does not apply to high pressure applications like hydraulics though.

For home brew, if it doesn't leak, good to go. Still best to stick with BSP(T) because that's what's most readily available in Aus.

Mardoo said:
Hey FB, what's the issue with thread tape? Never heard anyone dis it before so I'm curious.
Mostly a personal vendetta against it. It works and it's cheap. However, I don't like it because if it breaks loose from the fitting it's meant to be sealing it can get into whatever you're trying to prevent from getting out. Probably not a problem in brewing systems, but causes all sorts of havoc with spool valves in pneumatic systems. I won't use it on metal to metal threads at all, but on plastic threads and anything you have to repeatedly undo and do up again, it's good.

Getting it off the threads is a mighty pain in the posterior too!

Fat ******* said:
Mostly a personal vendetta against it. It works and it's cheap. However, I don't like it because if it breaks loose from the fitting it's meant to be sealing it can get into whatever you're trying to prevent from getting out. Probably not a problem in brewing systems, but causes all sorts of havoc with spool valves in pneumatic systems. I won't use it on metal to metal threads at all, but on plastic threads and anything you have to repeatedly undo and do up again, it's good.

Getting it off the threads is a mighty pain in the posterior too!
Go pink, not white.

But you probably already knew that.

SmallFry said:
Go pink, not white.

But you probably already knew that.
I should point out here, that a very long time ago, I worked as an engineer for Loctite. The natural enemy of Loctite is thread tape.

I no longer work for them as they were not a very nice company to work for, but the product is excellent.

And yes, I knew that!

So 577 hasn't given you any dramas FB. No off tastes? I've got a couple of tubes of this floating around that I use for auto lpg connections but would never have been game to use it on my brewrig. Thread tape suits my purpose for now but I do get evidence of sappy wort at a couple of connections that this might fix.

Not at all. If you've used it a bit in the past, you'd know it has a distinctive, but not entirely unpleasant smell and taste. I've never detected it in my beer, although I've been quite careful to wipe off any obvious excess and flush the system with PBW and Starsan for a few hours. Because it won't cure outside the joint, it flushes out pretty easily.

Works a treat on compression fittings too.

Back