New Toy Drum Smoker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was getting a gas refill at a camping and fishing shop and noticed the small fish smokers.
The interesting part was the variety of special timbers they had for the smokers, wine barrel, olive, sheoak and most Aussie natives.

Just to let you know, you dont need a weber lid, lots of guys doing this use flat steel lids with vent holes drilled in them some even use plywood.
The weber lid does give you more room to smoke large roasts or do beer can chickens, with 2 racks I can smoke 12 chickens in one go.

Does the charcoal just sit on the floor of the drum or do you put it on a raised bed?

Does the charcoal just sit on the floor of the drum or do you put it on a raised bed?

G,day Pip, sorry for taking so long to get back to you, its been awhile since Ive been on here,
the heatbeads in my smokers sit in a firebasket made out of steel mesh, with bolts for legs that stop the ash build up putting the fire out, I usually add a fencing wire handle to the basket, makes it easier to put it in and take it out, also stops me getting black marks on my shirt :rolleyes:

Just finished another drum smoker for a tradie mate of mine, he was impressed and bought another one for a mate of his, noice!!

Cheers Stevo

Just finished another drum smoker for a tradie mate of mine, he was impressed and bought another one for a mate of his, noice!!

Cheers Stevo

So what sort of delicasies do you cook up in these things big ti, I mean Steve?

cheers

Browndog

Been looking at this thread while eating my lunch :icon_drool2:

Any reason why you couldn't use the weber as a smoker? Apart from only doing smaller cuts of meat.

Kabooby :)

no prob with using a weber. slight change of technique is all.

Jez

So what sort of delicasies do you cook up in these things big ti, I mean Steve?

cheers

Browndog

basically the same as any weber bbq but way more and I can smoke meat, fish and cheese too,
smoked burgers wrapped in bacon
cooked_bacon_bugers.JPG
smoked chicken tenders wrapped in bacon
2008_0218tenderschickensmoked0001.JPG
home made hickory smoked ham
HAM.JPG
Kangaroo jerky
Roo_jerky_close_up.JPG

I have used a weber for smoking food but the drum is way easier and just to give you an idea how much it can cook it will fit 12 roast chooks in side on 2 racks

Cheers stevo

Only slightly OT.
I picked up a couple of BBQ marinade injectors from evilbay, last week pumped a 6.5kg lump of rump with a marinade then slow cook/smoked it in the hooded barbie for about 7hrs.
Bloody marvie.
Anyone else used these?

look here

well just about to take a beef roast out that has been cooking away for a few hours can't wait

:)

Well, after months of unsuccessfully trying to find a suitable cheap lid for my smoker I finally just went into Kmart and bought the cheapest weber style BBQ I could find. As it turned out there was only a choice of 1. The lid wasn't the best fit, but after some beating of the outer lip of the lid it manages to sit on the drum, kind of. Although, I'll see what I can do to make it a bit more secure.

So it is currently outside performing a meat-less dry run to test out the temperature range and control. I am very suprised at just how little the charcol has to be burning to get it up to 100 degs ambient temperature.

Tomorrow will be the first meat run with a 2.2kg pork leg but I have a question, where is the temperature supposed to be measured? Is it the ambient or middle of the meat? I have come across info that suggests that ambient should be around 100-105 deg C, but I wanted to double check that with someone.

Photos coming tomorrow.

I have been reading up heaps on the UDS for months now and I'm getting the gear together to make one in the coming weeks.

I have the weber lid and plate and all the vent hole attachments and I'm now just working on getting an ash basket set up.

I have a drum with the removable lid so i'm looking to make this end the base of the UDS and cut the other end off and have that as the top. The reasoning behind this is so after smoking is done I can simply undo the clamp and lift the drum off the base that has the ash basket attached to it. This stops me from needing to bend into the drum to remove the ash basket and clean out the ash. And the existing clamp helps keep the drum well sealed when smoking to help better regulate temps (i hope).

My only drama is trying to find a suitable threaded temp gauge with good temp marking.....Not just COLD, WARM and HOT...

Will put up pics when I get it going. First smoke will be my home made sausages... :D

I have a free weber lid for someone in perth pick up only pm if you would like it :)

I have finally read through the entire UDS thread (phew!) and intend on building one of these soon, hopefully some pics to follow when it is done. It wont be pretty, but hopefully will cook nicely.

Crundle

Steve, what is the finish you have on those drums mate?

cheers

Browndog

Steve, what is the finish you have on those drums mate?

cheers

Browndog
I was thinking the same thing BD. Looks like Ferroko 3 (micaecious ironoxide) but i dont know if it would take the temp. Perhaps some Hi-temp 1200.

Brad

Tomorrow will be the first meat run with a 2.2kg pork leg but I have a question, where is the temperature supposed to be measured? Is it the ambient or middle of the meat? I have come across info that suggests that ambient should be around 100-105 deg C, but I wanted to double check that with someone.

Bump - did anyone give you an answer here? Had moth-balled converting a 44gal drum, but getting it back into action. Will be running trial next week, so wondering the same, what is the best ambient temp?

Scotty

Back