Smoker Build Sofar Today...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FNQ Bunyip

Non Pro Member
Reaction score
Well after putting it off for years I've started the build of a smoker ...

The Brew Wench has wanted one for bloody ages but I havn't felt the urge to get busy and do anything about it.
Don't get me wrong I love smoked fish and all sorts of meat ect ect and every time we are in BCF or some such place she say look I'm buying one of these smoker boxs. and I alway say,,,, No I'll build one (then under my breath "One Day") ..

Anyway last weekend we were having a bit of a BBQ with a few mates and unknown too me she gets one of them to bring his BCF type smoker down to do a heap of Mackeral Wings in that were taking up heaps of freezer space, and rubs it in that I'm a slack C&^% and wont build her one..

So after years of looking at smokers on the net and about 50 saved designs and pics Today I did this ....

The base ..

With rack..

With One Extention..

With Lid..

With 2 Extentions..

And All The Bits...

Still lots to do and new racks to get of fabricate but I'm away ....

Cheers ...

P.S Mods Please move if not right but where else do you brag but in the Pub....

Lookin good Ned. Looking forward to some pics of its christening.

Cheers

Pics of it christening later today , a small load of Mackeral wings marinaiding now .....

cheers

:kooi: Awesome Ned. Maybe you could have a beer at the same time... beer and smoked meat...mmm....

Looks really sweet. Are you planning to install a mesh screen in case what you're smoking drips fat to reduce flare-ups? A friend built one but his design is horizontal. It has a firebox on one side with a horizontal "chimney" where you place the meat. We smoked pork & chicken a couple of weeks ago and didn't have a single fat fire. Smoked meat + porter = :icon_drool2:

I've still a few things to do...so I'll be 2x thirsty!

OT. Totally OT.

Dude. Your avatar. I shouldn't be getting these feelings on a homebrew forum.

That avatar makes it hard for me to concentrate too.....

:icon_drool2:

OT. Totally OT.

Dude. Your avatar. I shouldn't be getting these feelings on a homebrew forum.

That avatar makes it hard for me to concentrate too.....

:icon_drool2:
So, u cameincider ;)

Looks really sweet. Are you planning to install a mesh screen in case what you're smoking drips fat to reduce flare-ups? A friend built one but his design is horizontal. It has a firebox on one side with a horizontal "chimney" where you place the meat. We smoked pork & chicken a couple of weeks ago and didn't have a single fat fire. Smoked meat + porter = :icon_drool2:

I've only used the cheep rectangle smoker boxes befor , only have a metho burner under it .... I'm planning on useing the brew rig nasa burner ( down very low) ....and had not realy given fat fires too much thought ... I sopose it depends how much air flow there is ,, if its low enough a fire cant flare up ...

Have been thinging on plans for a wood fired smoker along that horizontal type (texas smoker) style , one of the reasons its taken bloody years to get around to doing it ... too many types to think about...

cheers

I've only used the cheep rectangle smoker boxes befor , only have a metho burner under it .... I'm planning on useing the brew rig nasa burner ( down very low) ....and had not realy given fat fires too much thought ... I sopose it depends how much air flow there is ,, if its low enough a fire cant flare up ...

Until you decide to lift the lid to have a look and WOOF! ;)

I can't remember where I've seen it before, but I could swear that I've seen one like yours that had a metal cone just above the firebox and a matching fat drain ring. There was a gap to allow the smoke up & around the cone.

MMMM yummmmOh ......

Just set up with the base and top..Only the 3 of us so just the right size...

Mackeral Wings in Marinaid...

After 15 Mins ,,, didn't put enough dust/chips in ...

Smoking Away ...

Ready , 35mins .. Oh the smell..

And with the Top Off ,,, was so so soft and melt in your mouth yummo ...

So Beef Ribs towmorow ...mmmm
cheers

How nice is that. Thanks Ned now i am hungry.

Liking the gear box as "outdoor furniture". :D

Cheers

thats only one of them I have one as inside furniture as well ... F%$# en land cruisers ..:) my red neck side showing ,,lol
cheers

Great stuff mate.

Happy smoking :icon_drool2:

thats only one of them I have one as inside furniture as well ... F%$# en land cruisers .. :) my red neck side showing ,,lol
cheers
After drooling at the mackeral, first thing I thought was.... how handy that gearbox is next to that log, if i had had a few beers and wanted to get up/balance that gearstick would be handy. Then I thought it would be great whilst watching bathurst, all i need is a helmet. :lol:
Pity I dont have a spare/broken gearbox............... bloody Nissans. :p

Cheers

Thinking of trying to make any rauchmalt with that?

looks great, love smoked foods.

How nice is that. Thanks Ned now i am hungry.

Liking the gear box as "outdoor furniture". :D

Cheers

That could be for the rotisserie build. :p
Nice job. What did you use for racks they look to fit perfect?
Daz

Latest posts

Back