New? temp controller pre-wired

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MartinOC said:
$600?!?!?!

In the immortal words of Jake Blues: "No ******* Way!!"
I think we can safely assume that is the "currently out of stock " price

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread $55.

barls said:
care to post a pic of said approval number listed on the item then..
If not then I'll say not certified.
Every thing sold in Oz needs to have certification by the relevant authorities and generally it's listed on said item.
Your last sentence explains it all ,which is what I was referring to.

Bizenya said:
I agree with others with its ease of set up and use.

Mine arrived Monday, brew went in Tuesday. Holding temp really well; have it set from high of 18.2 to low of 18, always sitting at these or in-between. I just taped the temp sensor directly to the outside of the fermenter, used al-foil plus styrofoam to insult again the fridge temps, seems pretty good (I assume that there is a difference as its through the plastic, but the volume of the wort should at least warm the plastic to close to what it sitting at)

And to think, only two weeks ago my brain had never kicked into gear that I could retro fit the old fridge we don't use with a temp control unit and brew at a cooler temp (I was always of the belief to brew at 23-25C!) and overall a more stable temperature!

Thanks all on AHB!
Welcome to the fold Bizenya,

I wholeheartedly believe temp control is THE best single thing a brewer can do for their craft. And I also believe in pitching as close to ferment temp as possible. I think a lot of 'young' brewers pitch high and then let the temp come down, and I think this causes funky flavours.

I used to make some very good extract beers that even my AG-Snob mates liked and I attribute the results to temp control. I've now become an AG-Snob myself.

spog said:
Your last sentence explains it all ,which is what I was referring to.
Mate, seriously, just because it needs it doesn't mean that it gets it. As I said post a pic of its certification and I'll be quiet. Till then it's just another dodgy seller passing items off that don't meet the standard or can't be fucked to get the certification due to the costs. Ether way it's illegal without It.. The responsibility is on the seller, not the buyer, to get this.

printed forms section said:
Welcome to the fold Bizenya,

I wholeheartedly believe temp control is THE best single thing a brewer can do for their craft. And I also believe in pitching as close to ferment temp as possible. I think a lot of 'young' brewers pitch high and then let the temp come down, and I think this causes funky flavours.

I used to make some very good extract beers that even my AG-Snob mates liked and I attribute the results to temp control. I've now become an AG-Snob myself.
Thanks!!

The gravity check and taste yesterday got me very excited and i wouldn't be half surprised if it is down to the temp- i have read, learnt and now put into practice many hints and tips from this website into practice but think biggest change is the temp control.

plan is to get to AG but small steps are required. need to approach it all with success couple of kit and extracts brews, which will enable an increase in finances becoming more freely available (home brew to the missus is cheap rather than amazing!) and i just cannot afford the kit for AG- yet.

interesting you mentioned pitch as close to ferment temp as possible. prior to AHB i would have pitched at 25-26 and let settle. I waited for the tempt to go to 20 this time. Was hard as its just so different, however yeast looks like it took hold in 16 hrs with krausen present!

i once was lost....

have you committed the extra $5 per brew for a decent yeast? ie US05 or Nottingham? If you're still on kit yeast the real stuff will blow your mind!

you're close enough to "Holden-Hill-Bill" aka Brewmaker on North East road, just up from the cop shop. I cannot recommend him highly enough for kit brewers.

temp control, good yeast and a few extra goodies and you'll be amazed you call it homebrew!

printed forms section said:
have you committed the extra $5 per brew for a decent yeast? ie US05 or Nottingham? If you're still on kit yeast the real stuff will blow your mind!
That much better? Big call.
Obviously my palate is not well educated or my mind is not susceptible to being blown.

barls said:
Mate, seriously, just because it needs it doesn't mean that it gets it. As I said post a pic of its certification and I'll be quiet. Till then it's just another dodgy seller passing items off that don't meet the standard or can't be fucked to get the certification due to the costs. Ether way it's illegal without It.. The responsibility is on the seller, not the buyer, to get this.
He only said, “Certified I would say yes so it meets aussie standards,tested and tagged is the purchasers/ users choice”.

As it from an Australian seller it’s a reasonable assumption that it meets the standards.

Stop getting over excited about safety issues, everyone’s not out to electrocute or blow you up. Just calm down and relax. :)

Yeah current brew is a "Bill inspired " IPA. Years ago I was getting stuff from him, so it's nice to get back to talking with him and supporting him. This current IPA has US-05 in so be interesting to see just how it ends up. Gravity tests and small samples have indeed started to blow my mind- I'm probably easily impressed, but hey I like beer. (Note this excludes many " popular beers " such as VB / Carlton Dry or TEDS to name a few)

Ducatiboy stu said:
No...it isnt.
I'll back that up. I bought one then asked the shop if they were certified. They checked. Not certified. The shop I used no longer sells them.

S.E said:
He only said, “Certified I would say yes so it meets aussie standards,tested and tagged is the purchasers/ users choice”.

As it from an Australian seller it’s a reasonable assumption that it meets the standards.

Stop getting over excited about safety issues, everyone’s not out to electrocute or blow you up. Just calm down and relax. :)
mate I'm going to say this once more. It's a safety issue and therefore important.
Maybe do some research next time before claiming something.
Feel free to do what ever crazy ideas you want at your place but don't go on sprucking something like its gospel when it's just bullshit and may lead to someone getting hurt
It's like saying you can buy a new car but it can't be registered as it doesn't meet the ADRs.
Also since no one has posted a pic I can only assume it's not.
This is the one off my baby monitor. The closest one I have to hand
image.jpg

Notice the approval number.

Now to get this number you have to go through rigorous testing including destructive testing with a very small number of failures.
Every year there is a huge number of people who get done for selling items that don't have this number. I believe there's Huge fine and jail time for them.

Now I'm done but would still like to see a picture of its approval

barls said:
Just checked mine, and you're right, can't see a certificate anywhere. And here I was thinking I had done the right thing in spending a bit more to buy one pre-wired.

barls said:
mate I'm going to say this once more. It's a safety issue and therefore important.
Maybe do some research next time before claiming something.
Feel free to do what ever crazy ideas you want at your place but don't go on sprucking something like its gospel when it's just bullshit and may lead to someone getting hurt
It's like saying you can buy a new car but it can't be registered as it doesn't meet the ADRs.
Also since no one has posted a pic I can only assume it's not.
This is the one off my baby monitor. The closest one I have to hand
attachicon.gif
image.jpg

Notice the approval number.

Now to get this number you have to go through rigorous testing including destructive testing with a very small number of failures.
Every year there is a huge number of people who get done for selling items that don't have this number. I believe there's Huge fine and jail time for them.

[SIZE=12pt]Let us imagine you are correct and the vendor is manufacturing and/or selling dangerous untested goods on eBay to unsuspecting Australians. Do you think it would be beyond their wit to print out and apply the relevant safety stickers? Most people wouldn’t give the sticker a second glance let alone verify the approval number. All he would need to do is copy the sticker and approval number from a similar item and you would be none the wiser.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

Certification on an electrical item is not as it may seem, during my time in China I sourced thousands of electrical goods all knock off's for Australia, Britain and America. I reckon there are more knocked off articles in Australia than the genuine article.
Here is a photo of a GHD hair straightener, a $12 copy of something that would cost $200 plus, impossible to tell the difference comes with identifying hologram and instructional DVD also has got a certification number.
And I know thousands of these came into Australia.

IMG_0027.jpg

Has anyone actualy opened the box and looked at the actual temp controler as that is where the cert will be it may only just be a name plate rating found on many imported commercial kitchen appliences that the 3phase versions of which are technicaly illegal here as they have 2 black actives

Cheers

Nath

So....how does one go about purchasing a temperature controller that has Australian Certification? Do they exist?

I want to buy one but do not want to have to employ the services an a sparky...surely the market can cater :blush:

Mall said:
So....how does one go about purchasing a temperature controller that has Australian Certification? Do they exist?

I want to buy one but do not want to have to employ the services an a sparky...surely the market can cater :blush:
Do they exist ? That's is a good question.
Anyone checked their temp controllers for certification,my Kambrook electric kettle has no such label on it.Interesting seeing it was bought here.
As Barls said in an earlier post " just because they need it doesn't mean it gets it".
As for getting a sparky to check it all he/ can do is test it,if it passes it passes,test tags are not required in the home for home use.
Cheers....spog....

Latest posts

Back