New? temp controller pre-wired

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends how big the market is for temperature controllers for some one to bring them in pre-wired, then getting it tested and licensed,I would say not big enough, I have been using the one from Keg King, one of my brothers is a sparky and he had a look at it (only because I asked him if he could knock a couple up)ans said it was fine.

Mall said:
So....how does one go about purchasing a temperature controller that has Australian Certification? Do they exist?

I want to buy one but do not want to have to employ the services an a sparky...surely the market can cater :blush:
[SIZE=12pt]Well barls won’t be using a temp controller that hasn’t been certified, perhaps he can post a picture of his and let you know where he bought it? [/SIZE]

S.E said:
Well barls won’t be using a temp controller that hasn’t been certified, perhaps he can post a picture of his and let you know where he bought it?
mine are Drexel units bought way back when this forum was young.
They were wired by a qualified personnel then checked with multiple test equipment including meggers and an appliance tester.
As for an approved one being sold. I haven't seen anyone willing to go through the testing process to gain the certification. Market opportunity there for someone willing to bother

Best bet it is to get one wired by a qualified person that can do the acceptable testing to prove its safe.
There is a few people on here that are willing to help and have the qualifications. Happy to point people in their direction in sydney

There is some coverage about this in another thread with regard to wire-your-own

Personally,and I know my thoughts are at odds with other forum members, if its not certified or not wired by someone qualified then stay away

The onus IS ON THE PURCHASER to some degree. But if you buy off a reputable supplier then there is a level of responsible with the seller

Personally I am against wiring your own Temp Controller. You can, but...I will never condone or offer advice.

There are those who have the proper knowledge and ability.

But...at the end of the day, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.

barls said:
care to post a pic of said approval number listed on the item then..
If not then I'll say not certified.
Every thing sold in Oz needs to have certification by the relevant authorities and generally it's listed on said item.
barls said:
mine are Drexel units bought way back when this forum was young.
They were wired by a qualified personnel then checked with multiple test equipment including meggers and an appliance tester.
As for an approved one being sold. I haven't seen anyone willing to go through the testing process to gain the certification. Market opportunity there for someone willing to bother

Best bet it is to get one wired by a qualified person that can do the acceptable testing to prove its safe.
There is a few people on here that are willing to help and have the qualifications. Happy to point people in their direction in sydney

Mangrove Jack's have one too.
I have sent them an email asking if it is certified.

S.E said:
He only said, “Certified I would say yes so it meets aussie standards,tested and tagged is the purchasers/ users choice”.

As it from an Australian seller it’s a reasonable assumption that it meets the standards.

Stop getting over excited about safety issues, everyone’s not out to electrocute or blow you up. Just calm down and relax. :)
He is wrong.

Wether it will blow up or electrocute you is a another matter.

If it's being sold with an AU plug and doesn't have C-Tick compliance, that's illegal. If the seller doesn't know that, he's either ignorant or an idiot.

Spiesy said:
He is wrong.
Wether it will blow up or electrocute you is a another matter.
If it's being sold with an AU plug and doesn't have C-Tick compliance, that's illegal. If the seller doesn't know that, he's either ignorant or an idiot.
Buggered if I can figure out how I am wrong when I said " certified I would say yes so it meets aussie standards".
And Barls said " everything sold in Oz needs to have certification by the relevant authorities and is generally listed on said item"
If uncertified products are being sold here in Oz then it should be reported to protect us all.
If a product does not meet Australian standards it does not get certification.

barls said:
mate I'm going to say this once more. It's a safety issue and therefore important.
Maybe do some research next time before claiming something.
Feel free to do what ever crazy ideas you want at your place but don't go on sprucking something like its gospel when it's just bullshit and may lead to someone getting hurt
It's like saying you can buy a new car but it can't be registered as it doesn't meet the ADRs.
Also since no one has posted a pic I can only assume it's not.
This is the one off my baby monitor. The closest one I have to hand
attachicon.gif
image.jpg

Notice the approval number.

Now to get this number you have to go through rigorous testing including destructive testing with a very small number of failures.
Every year there is a huge number of people who get done for selling items that don't have this number. I believe there's Huge fine and jail time for them.

Now I'm done but would still like to see a picture of its approval
[SIZE=12pt]Hi barls, I will attempt to answer your post again. I have read and reread my wording below and I don’t think there is anything in this post that may cause offence so apologies in advance if something does. I have highlighted your comments in red and will answer them individually to avoid confusion.[/SIZE]

mate I'm going to say this once more. It's a safety issue and therefore important.

I don’t think anyone was disagreeing with your safety point, I certainly wasn’t.

Maybe do some research next time before claiming something.

Sorry research what exactly? I was only claiming that you were being a bit rude to spog who is only saying more or less the same as you.

Feel free to do what ever crazy ideas you want at your place but don't go on sprucking something like its gospel when it's just bullshit and may lead to someone getting hurt

I assume you mean the “crazy ideas” at my place that I was “sprucing up like its gospel” you are referring to is using cubes as ale casks.
As I have explained to you I have researched this and been using cubes as casks and experimenting with them for many years now. I can assure you it is not “bullshit” and it is extremely unlikely that it may lead to someone getting hurt, unless of course they were doing something really silly like balancing them on electrical appliances as discussed in the carbing and conditioning in a cube thread here. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/70056-carbingconditioning-in-a-cube-before-keg/

Please have a reread of the thread from the top and at least reconsider the exploding cube theory.

I have never heard of anyone getting hurt using cubes, I have heard of no chill cubes spontaneously fermenting and bursting, bit of a mess but apparently they don’t explode and throw shrapnel like you suggest.

Did you do any research before claiming that cubes could explode violently and lead to someone getting hurt? If so can you please share you findings?

It's like saying you can buy a new car but it can't be registered as it doesn't meet the ADRs.

Sorry mate you’ve lost me with that one can you please expand? I don’t see how buying a new car that doesn’t meet the ADRs is the same as buying an uncertified electrical appliance. If someone knowingly buys an uncertified electrical appliance it wouldn’t as far as I am aware be illegal to use it as an unregistered car would be (on a public road anyway).

Also since no one has posted a pic I can only assume it's not.

I don’t think anyone in the thread has actually purchased one from this seller have they? It a bit unreasonable to assume it’s not based on no one posting a picture.

This is the one off my baby monitor. The closest one I have to hand

Notice the approval number.

Now to get this number you have to go through rigorous testing including destructive testing with a very small number of failures.
Every year there is a huge number of people who get done for selling items that don't have this number. I believe there's Huge fine and jail time for them.

[SIZE=12pt]Ok let us imagine you are correct and the vendor is manufacturing and/or selling dangerous untested goods on eBay to unsuspecting Australians. Do you think it would be beyond their wit to print out and apply the relevant safety stickers? Most people wouldn’t give the sticker a second glance let alone verify the approval number. All he would need to do is copy the sticker and approval number from a similar item and you would be none the wiser. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]spog also pointed out that consumers can have electrical appliances tested and tagged if they want . I don’t see any tag on your baby monitor so you may want to get it tested or are you depending on the sticker to guarantee its safety?[/SIZE]

Now I'm done but would still like to see a picture of its approval

You could try contacting the seller for a picture.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding. Look forward to hearing your reply.

All the best.
Sean

Once again I'll say it. Let's stay on topic.. Use of cubes is not in this thread. Hence why your previous post was edited apart from being a personal attack in there as well.

It's also illegal to sell a car that doesn't meet the ADRs.

As for items in my house being tagged yes they have all been checked as I've actually done the test and tag course as well as being a qualified technician. Just cause it's not in the pic I posted doesn't mean it hasn't been done. Can you say the same of everything in yours.

barls said:
It's also illegal to sell a car that doesn't meet the ADRs
Wrong. Its perfectly legal to sell any car you like, you just cant get it registered if it doesnt meet ADR..

Anyway......back to the topic

Ducatiboy stu said:
No...it isnt.
[SIZE=12pt]The location says Southbank, Vic, Australia. The feedback all says fast delivery one in particular says “AMAZING!!! ordered last night and had it in my hands at 9am the next morning!!”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Why not an Australian seller, am I missing something?[/SIZE]

barls said:
Once again I'll say it. Let's stay on topic.. Use of cubes is not in this thread. Hence why your previous post was edited apart from being a personal attack in there as well.

It's also illegal to sell a car that doesn't meet the ADRs.

As for items in my house being tagged yes they have all been checked as I've actually done the test and tag course as well as being a qualified technician. Just cause it's not in the pic I posted doesn't mean it hasn't been done. Can you say the same of everything in yours.
It was you that brought up the topic of cubes again, what else could you be referring to with a rude comment like
[SIZE=12pt]Feel free to do what ever crazy ideas you want at your place but don't go on sprucking something like its gospel when it's just bullshit and may lead to someone getting hurt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Or was that just a meaningless personal attack?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]You are wrong again it is not illegal to sell a car that doesn’t meet ADR. But why are you bringing cars sales in to this, shouldn’t we be staying on topic?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]No my stuff isn’t tagged and tested, I brought most of my electrical goods with me from the UK and Hong Kong. I’m happy that they are safe and would meet Australian standards though. From what I have seen UK and HK household wiring is a lot safer and stricter regulations than here in Australia also.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Cheers[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Sean [/SIZE]

spog said:
Buggered if I can figure out how I am wrong when I said " certified I would say yes so it meets aussie standards".
If it doesn't meet the ACMA's compliance, it's illegal. So it doesn't meet Aussie standards and regulations.

Or am I misunderstanding?

Spiesy said:
If it doesn't meet the ACMA's compliance, it's illegal. So it doesn't meet Aussie standards and regulations.

Or am I misunderstanding?
[SIZE=12pt]He only said he would expect it to meet the standard as it was being sold in Australia as I understand it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]He did explain further but his post was hidden for some reason. [/SIZE]

S.E said:
The location says Southbank, Vic, Australia. The feedback all says fast delivery one in particular says “AMAZING!!! ordered last night and had it in my hands at 9am the next morning!!”

Why not an Australian seller, am I missing something?
Yes. You are missing the point about just because its an aussie seller does not automatically mean its certified.

S.E said:
[SIZE=12pt]He only said he would expect it to meet the standard as it was being sold in Australia as I understand it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]He did explain further but his post was hidden for some reason. [/SIZE]

Fair enough.

An expectation is an assumption, which is fine for what it is.

But if it doesn't have c-tick. It is illegal to be sold with a hardwired plug.

S.E said:
. From what I have seen UK and HK household wiring is a lot safer and stricter regulations than here in Australia also.[/size][/font]

Cheers
Sean
How so.....I am interested to know why...

The C-tick is only a compliance for electromagnetic interferrance for equipment connected to the telecommunication networks

Unless your temp controller is conected to the telecommunications network, it doesnt need a C-tick

Been following this one for a while.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the relevant Australian Standard or federal Legislation that says a plug in temperature control device has to be approved and by what administering government agency?

Someone had to ask.

Back