New? temp controller pre-wired

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Earthing of metalic pipework can cause dangerous situations. It is old and out dated. Plumbers have been killed by bonding water & gas pipes.

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/Portals/0/Gas%20Professionals/Files/EARTHING%20OF%20ELECTRICAL%20INSTALLATIONS%20USING%20THE%20WATER%20RETICULATION%20SYSTEM.pdf
[SIZE=12pt]That warning you linked refers to [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]EARTHING OF ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS USING THE WATER RETICULATION SYSTEM. That would be plain crazy I’m surprise electricians here needed to be warned about it, that just common sense. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Pipe work is earthed separately so it can’t become live if a faulty appliance or damaged cable comes in contact with it. It is not used as an earth [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Why would earthing metal pipes be dangerous? Any more than say earthing a metal fridge?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]It is considered very important to do so in several other countries. [/SIZE]

S.E said:
Why would earthing metal pipes be dangerous? Any more than say earthing a metal fridge?
It is considered very important to do so in several other countries.
Well....if you dont like how things are done here...your welcome to move to a safer country.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Well....if you dont like how things are done here...your welcome to move to a safer country.
[SIZE=10.5pt]So does that mean you don’t know and can’t answer the question? I’m really intrigued to know any good reason pipes shouldn’t be earthed if anyone else knows? [/SIZE]

So what happens when the plumber usee plastic pipes as is becoming more comon

S.E said:
So does that mean you don’t know and can’t answer the question? I’m really intrigued to know any good reason pipes shouldn’t be earthed if anyone else knows?
Given your electrical knowledge, you should already know.....

Ducatiboy stu said:
So what happens when the plumber usee plastic pipes as is becoming more comon
[SIZE=10.5pt]Plastic pipes don’t need to be earthed if used on their own but if a section of plastic was used to repair a copper pipe the copper would need to be cross bonded. [/SIZE]

To throw a rat into this cat fight, are your brew belts, pads, immersion heaters, reptile lamps, bulb in pot n all certified!

Isn't plumbing supposed to be earthed to remove ESD caused by friction between fluid and walls?

Ducatiboy stu said:
Given your electrical knowledge, you should already know.....
[SIZE=10.5pt]Well I don’t so would love to hear, I can’t think of any reason, so what is the reason do you know?[/SIZE]

Well....do some research like others do. You might learn something.

Start Here --> www.google.com

practicalfool said:
To throw a rat into this cat fight, are your brew belts, pads, immersion heaters, reptile lamps, bulb in pot n all certified!
[SIZE=12pt]Is this a cat fight? I just want to learn something I didn’t know. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Why is it considered dangerous here to earth household pipe work? [/SIZE]

Why are most Australian appliances not earthed? It was universal in the UK (see diagram in my post) and the plugs had a fuse to avoid overloading the circuits and causing house fires in often 60 year old circuits (I'd guess).

Bribie G said:
Why are most Australian appliances not earthed? It was universal in the UK (see diagram in my post) and the plugs had a fuse to avoid overloading the circuits and causing house fires in often 60 year old circuits (I'd guess).
Because they are double insulated.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Why do you consider it essential
[SIZE=12pt]I don’t consider it essential, but it is a very wise precaution don’t you think? The plumbers who were killed that you mentioned in your earlier post may have been saved if the pipes had been earthed for instance. [/SIZE]

Bribie G said:
[SIZE=12pt]Aren’t most Australian appliances earthed, I hadn’t noticed? [/SIZE]

Back