New? temp controller pre-wired

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends if you make it yourself or buy it

Regardless it needs to be built to relevant AS

Still doesn't give much info that link...

Ducatiboy stu said:
The C-tick is only a compliance for electromagnetic interferrance for equipment connected to the telecommunication networks

Unless your temp controller is conected to the telecommunications network, it doesnt need a C-tick
Incorrect, as I understand it. And I have involved the ACMA for these said reasons.
I think you're thinking of A-Tick.

EDIT: not for this specific case, but for my day job - where I work for a musical instrument and equipment importer and distributor.

C-Tick is for all electronics goods, A-Tick is for Telecommunications equipment and cabling

I believe the applicable standard is AS/NZS 4417.2:2012- Regulatory compliance mark for electrical and electronic equipment.

Just had a quick look on the list of standards but I don't have access to this one so can't help on details.

sp0rk said:
C-Tick is for all electronics goods, A-Tick is for Telecommunications equipment and cabling
Yeah....I got them mixed up.

I should know...being a comms tech and all that

Hbhb, I have done a bit of research into this topic of getting electrical appliances certified, look at the nsw department of fair tradings website it has all the appropriate information on it. To cut a long story short not all electrical appliances need to be certified but some types do, devices that control or condition the power out of a power point do require certification which means they need to be tested by an approved agent and it also costs about $500 to get the approval number for 3 years. Each state has slightly different regs but they seem close enough. A number starting with N means the approval was obtained in nsw. I would link the appropriate page but I'm on a smart phone

Cheers Steve

Ducatiboy stu said:
The C-tick is only a compliance for electromagnetic interferrance for equipment connected to the telecommunication networks
Unless your temp controller is conected to the telecommunications network, it doesnt need a C-tick
Sorry just deleted a reply as my Ipad just decided to load the last few posts, Jesus C tick A tick.
Cheers...spog...

S.E said:
He only said he would expect it to meet the standard as it was being sold in Australia as I understand it.

He did explain further but his post was hidden for some reason.
B I N G ******* O.

Have checked my various fridges, freezers, fry pan, theatre room projector, corner lamps, desk lamps, printer, fridges, weather station, battery chargers, telephone system, shit, i even checked the coffee machine we're declaring my place a C tick and A tick free zone. Guess the dogs are safe.

:)

Reality check:

<Bribie puts on Pommie Cap>

Mam: Ahv went and bought a new iron, Mick
Mick (young Bribie G, 9 years old): That's smashing Mam, ah'll put on a new plug for ye (UK electrical items all sold with just a bare wire hanging off - every kid grew up knowing how to fit a plug).
Mam: Whe aye, ah've got one here, ask Dad where the screwdriver is
Mick: (15 minutes later) Ah reet, ahl done Mam, here's yer iron.

The only person in my life who has ever been electrocuted was a Vietnamese cafe owner in Bundaberg who was fried on his roof trying to bypass the meter.
I've wired all my temp controllers.

Pommy plug;

pom plug.jpg

At the risk of attracting politically correct tut tut tut comments, most Poms are somewhat amused at the fear and loathing most Aussies have for DIY electrical work. Come to think of it you know what the favourite pastime of many Poms is during their holidays? "Hey Pete how about we rewire your house over the holidays.... " ... " Grand Idea, Mick let's do it - I'll download a PDF to see how it's done".
Perfectly legal. And don't even get me started on home gas fitting :lol:

Edit: as Stu says, at your own risk, like changing your own bike tyres or making a cup of coffee with boiling :unsure: water or stepping out of your fecking front door without your tinfoil hat on.

Ducatiboy stu said:
How so.....I am interested to know why...
[SIZE=12pt]There are more safety regulations in place than I’ve seen here though it has occurred to me that some or all of them may be in place now for new builds and I just haven’t seen or noticed them.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]For instance in a kitchen you cannot have an electric socket within 1 meter of the sink so an appliance can’t be knocked or dropped into a sink full of water while it is plugged in, or a kettle cannot be filled under the tap without unplugging it first. If the sink is stainless steel it must be earthed. Also the hot and cold pipes are cross bonded.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]In a bathroom you cannot have a 240v electric socket only a 110v shaver outlet (unless it’s concealed in a cupboard for a boiler or something). The light switch and electric shower switch in a bathroom must be a pull cord unless they are located outside the bathroom so they can’t be operated with wet hands. Metal fixtures like a bath, radiator or aluminium window must be earthed and the pipe work cross bonded.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The water main (and gas pipe) is earthed where it enters the house and all other pipe work in the house is cross bonded and connected to the main so it is all earthed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Modern electric sockets in the UK and HK are the same and have a little spring loaded cover over the live and neutral that is lowered by the longer earth pin as the plug is pushed in so inquisitive children cannot electrocute themselves by pushing in something metal like a knife, screwdriver or paper clip etc.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Is any of this done here now?[/SIZE]

Back