New Stuff For The Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky

Reaction score
After purchasing two new 510 liter chesties, lifting double fermenters was a real pita (not that putting them an upright freezer was any fun either :unsure: )

So an overhead gantry system was in order.

It covers an area 6.5 meters by 3 meters, which is pretty much the brewing / fermenting area.
It is 3.5 meters off the floor.

hoist27.jpg hoist35.jpg hoist36.jpg

For more pics of building and installation look here: Link

Cheers,
Bud

that's committment to brewing. very nice work!

Bud that is fanfarkintastic mate. Brilliant! Love it

Bud did you make up the boggies from scratch as well? How thick was the strengthening plate for the pipe spine?

John Deere green will forever be imprinted on me as your colour. Not being smart but why leave the pipe unpainted? I understand you would get wear marks from the guide wheels but I would thought it would look snazzy all "Bud Green" and all. Just an opinion not criticism.

Great stuuf

Chappo

Edit: Gramara speelinkz

Bud, that is awesome.

No more popping grapes to get those full 60l fermenters up on the bench.

Our Bitches are already envious of your hoist enabled brew rig - this takes it to a whole new level.

Cheers

Breezy

Looks excellent. Wish I could just go and get another 1000L worth of fridge/freezer space for the brewhouse, soo jelous.

I really have to get out there for an ale, and get some ideas...

QldKev

Awesome!! i am planning a manual pully and swing arm for my BIAB but that is a ways off. Now i want to motorise it and for no good reason <_< . Great work.

Look great Bud. I have the same hoist to lift my kettle onto the bench after boil but it is a fixed unit. Still looking at a similar setup to yours to move the fermenter around. Where did you come by the boggies and rails?

Cheers, Hoges.

As you were. Just spotted the link to your site so I'll study that.

Just read through the whole of your site Bud. You're a genius. Take a bow.

Cheers, Hoges.

Cripes....that is freakin awesome! One reason I stopped doing double batches is that it is just too hard to lift by yourself, a hernia in waiting! Well beyond my capabilities!

You're a frickin genius. Love the hoist that raises and lowers the HLT/mash tun on the brewery. And the HLT scale. Genius...

Thanks guys for all the positive comments.

Will try to answer all questions

Chappo,
Yes made the boggies from scratch. Mostly from scrap metal....a good excuse to buy a new plasma cutter though.

The "back bone" is 8mm x 50mm. I thought 8 x 40 would be good enough, but not available. So 50 was the go and I didn't want to bother to cut it down to 40.

Didn't paint the pipe as it is Gal, and would require an etch primer to paint it, and besides, goes well with the un-polished SS in the rest of the brewery...kinda adds the the "bling factor" I reckon.

Breezy too,

Hope I haven't caused you any problems....Bitches can be such a bitch :ph34r:
Thanks mate....

QldKev

Hey, I have an old fridge available if you want it....it is ugly...but works. Will take a single fermenter or a double...but not two singles. Anyway, you can have it if you want it. You have to have a look.
Also have the compressor and coils from the old beer fridge..only two years old. Welcome to it if you want. Will throw in about 8 pieces of 25 mil thick by 1.2 meter square sheets of Styrofoam to make a frementer cabinet. Was going to build it but bought the new ones instead.

lastdrinks,

"Now i want to motorize it and for no good reason"

Well....my motto is "EVERYTHING NEEDS A MOTOR"....go for it!

Hogan..

Thanks Mate....taking a bow :rolleyes:

fraser-john

Thanks...I am just getting ready to still be able to brew when I am 80...I reckon it will be less though, may go back to singles :ph34r:

Kaiser Soze

Thanks mate, this stuff is my idea of entertainment...love to build it and really love my beer!!
Two great hobbies!

Cheers all
Bud

I envy and admire the handiness of some of these blokes. I congratulate myself when I change a light bulb successfully!

^ LOL I'm there with ya!

My problem is that I'm a draftsman (structural steel and no I wont draw your new extension...) so I have heaps of ideas and designs in my head and on paper but I cant manufacture them as I'm not handy enough.
My next problem is that now I manage a large structural steel fabrication work shop - but because we deal with heavy structural about the thinnest plate I carry in stock is 6mm and all our welders are mig and set up with thick wire so no one can weld stainless :(
One day I'll get my self a cheap arc / tig welder setup. I've even discussed it with the boss getting one and just letting the boys use it for their own use in the workshop.

Our work shop :
14.jpg

Some of the stuff we build:

4.jpg

Thanks Bud for replying.

Do you have any shots/plans how the boggies where made bud/mate/buddy/pal... pleeaasssse? I'm interested in copying (imitation is a form of flattery remember Bud :icon_cheers: ) your design mainly because I have this bloody Hyaitis Hernia that just plain gives me heaps of shyte if I over do it and has me layed out for days at a time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chappo

Thanks Bud for replying.

Do you have any shots/plans how the boggies where made bud/mate/buddy/pal... pleeaasssse? I'm interested in copying (imitation is a form of flattery remember Bud :icon_cheers: ) your design mainly because I have this bloody Hyaitis Hernia that just plain gives me heaps of shyte if I over do it and has me layed out for days at a time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chappo

Chappo,

Will be glad to help....only thing is I never draw anything I build. Just in my head and go ahead and build.
I can measure for you and take some close pics if you like.
What size pipe do you want to use?

Cheers,
Bud

Latest posts

Back