New Oxygenation Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A practically infinite source of brewing oxygen for a once off cost? I'll be buying it.

A practically infinite source of brewing oxygen for a once off cost? I'll be buying it.

Hey, electricity isn’t free!!!!!!

Unless you vote for LNP in the QLD election & they will live up to their promise of discounting electricity & it will be virtually free then

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji481][emoji481]

Unless you vote for LNP in the QLD election & they will live up to their promise of discounting electricity & it will be virtually free then

It's 12v and I have solar already ... so it bloody is!

Note the comment that "regular maintenance, cleaning, and replacement of pieces are needed for high performance applications". In other words, the anode is sacrificial (intended to erode through the service life).

Fair point but im not sure what denotes a high performance application? Palladium coated electrodes work similarly to platinum ones don't they? And they are cheaper?

btw it's a great idea, I'm just brainstorming to get the price point down...

My Picks:

"Oxy-nator"
"Gen-Ox"

Last edited:

I have a bicycle with a dynamo

Fair point but im not sure what denotes a high performance application? Palladium coated electrodes work similarly to platinum ones don't they? And they are cheaper?

btw it's a great idea, I'm just brainstorming to get the price point down...

My Picks:

"Oxy-nator"
"Gen-Ox"

Palladium works less well than platinum as it is less inert: it's basically halfway between nickel and platinum (not conicidentally, the three form a column in the transition metals on the periodic table). A palladium coated electrode would be cheaper but would require periodic replacement, I don't believe that's a good proposition.

In any case my reading of the link is the material being sold is Ti Pd alloy, also known as gr7 Ti alloy, which includes about 0.2% of Pd as a beta phase stabiliser.

With the slow output of this device, will the dissolved oxygen ever reach saturation?

Is the intention to slowly get it up to 12-ish ppm, or will it be drip feeding the yeast at lower levels and replacing the oxygen as fast as they take it up?

With the slow output of this device, will the dissolved oxygen ever reach saturation?

Is the intention to slowly get it up to 12-ish ppm, or will it be drip feeding the yeast at lower levels and replacing the oxygen as fast as they take it up?

The idea is that the oxygen is directly absorbed by the yeast. I have not got around to measuring it yet but I suspect that the DO2 level stays very low.

Just a thought LC, not sure how many you're likely to sell but is worth trying to sell then through LHBS's? How many is too many to sell through an online site?
Keep this thread going and they will come, surprising how many overseas LHB stores and others watch these threads, for sure it will market itself, depending on results.

Have you considered a configuration similar to Spikes carb/oxy stone TC config.

It might help serve to protect the electrode, but probably dearer i guess.

https://spikebrewing.com/collections/conical-accessories/products/carb-stone
I like this as an Idea for conicals, Clamp this to the dump valve (then open; close valve and remove when done), and have the top electrode come down through a tc in the lid fitted with a compression fitting to allow height adjustment.

Since I can't attach this to a PM, here is the rate card for the beta testers.

Sorry that it's an .xls file but someone miscoded the file uploader here and it won't pick up normal Excel files (.xlsx): it will pick however pick up .xlxs files which AFAIK don't actually exist.

Attachments

• Oxygenator Rate Card.xls
    37.5 KB · Views: 146
Since I can't attach this to a PM, here is the rate card for the beta testers.

Sorry that it's an .xls file but someone miscoded the file uploader here and it won't pick up normal Excel files (.xlsx): it will pick however pick up .xlxs files which AFAIK don't actually exist.

Just for clarity, These values are hours?

Yes, the format is hh:mm.

It's hard to get Excel to fit a Babylonian number format so the calculation returns fractions of a day which Excel then formats as hours.

How would this go in a continuous yeast propagator, I have a couple of Spinner Flasks that I'm looking to set up as propagators, was planning to use a flip/flop timer switch to turn the O2 on and off.
Foam and excess O2 toxicity being the problem.
Spinner like this one, adding a heater and I/O ports, was going tp put in an airstone but....
spinner.jpg

I can't see why it won't work.

It would be best to calculate the O2 production rate on your expected yeast growth rate to achieve optimal uptake, the expected rate of uptake being around 8 mg O2 / g yeast / hour. If you can give me a rough guide on your expected propagator perfromance, I can work out how to tailor the O2 rate to suit.

Back