New Oxygenation Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wouldn't this be easier
delete the table and make it look pretty! :)

Attachments

• Oxygenator Rate Card.xls
    45 KB · Views: 139
I thought of something similar but it comes with the problem of people overwriting the calculation and stuffing things up. I speak from experience : I wrote a bunch of calculators for various functions at a commercial winery for which I worked and keeping them up to date and clean on the shared drive became a chore (I kept backup versions on my drive).

The best solution would be an online calculator written in Javascript or similar, I will do this if the device ever becomes a commercial proposition. As stated previously that is now in doubt.

I can't see why it won't work.

It would be best to calculate the O2 production rate on your expected yeast growth rate to achieve optimal uptake, the expected rate of uptake being around 8 mg O2 / g yeast / hour. If you can give me a rough guide on your expected propagator perfromance, I can work out how to tailor the O2 rate to suit.
Well I have 1 of 1L and 2 of 6L spinners, plan being to step a smack pack up to 1L, then transfer to a 6L, possibly from there to a 50L highly modified keg.
Simplest would just to make up some 10oP wort and propagate until the nutrient is expended then step up. Have also considered starting at a lot lower gravity and adding high gravity wort via a small peristaltic pump, take a bit of fiddling to get the addition rate right.
Saw these on eBay ORP Controller (one of many), have to see if one could be used to keep the gravity low enough to avoid the obvious problems and high enough to keep the yeast growing.

Would be great not to have to worry about foam and O2 poisoning.
Mark

I thought of something similar but it comes with the problem of people overwriting the calculation and stuffing things up. I speak from experience : I wrote a bunch of calculators for various functions at a commercial winery for which I worked and keeping them up to date and clean on the shared drive became a chore (I kept backup versions on my drive).

The best solution would be an online calculator written in Javascript or similar, I will do this if the device ever becomes a commercial proposition. As stated previously that is now in doubt.
Just lock everything you don't want anyone to mess with. I've got sheets that have been going for over 15 years. But that presents another problem, you forget the password! :oops:

Saw these on eBay ORP Controller (one of many), have to see if one could be used to keep the gravity low enough to avoid the obvious problems and high enough to keep the yeast growing.

That's an interesting idea, I assume you are using the pH controller to modify the fermentation parameters?

Well maybe, but was hoping the ORP could control the sugar content by turning the wort supply pump on and off. Stay low enough to avoid Crabtree effects, continuous O2 supply should be able to push the yeast population close to 3*10^6/ml, probably double what you get with a simple growth.
Mark

too many 00's

Last edited:
OK I'm not sure I understand how that will work if we are talking about using oxygenation at the same time.

Evidence in wine says that oxygenation temporarily overcomes any reductive effects of turning on the sulphate reduction sequence, if that's what the ORP controller was meant to respond to.

A few people have mentioned that they're holding out on purchasing a gas o2 set up, to potentially purchase this instead, but at the moment it seems like you are still at the prototype stage of product development, and reaching commercial production may be a fair way off? When do you anticipate having product ready for sale to the gen-pop?

That depends on how they are marketed / sold so at this stage I can't give you a firm answer.

Back