New Oxygenation Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to see more and more info/discussion on this. Keen to see a pic or 3 of the wand!

With the name, I'd suggest dropping the "M". 2 reasons: 1) Moxie just sounds bad, whereas Oxie/Oxy wand sounds good, and actually describes obviously what it is; 2) this (http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/Shop-Online/1117/Moxie)

Obviously just my simple opinion. Feel free to ignore! [emoji6]

If the yanks have trade marked oxy wand maybe ozy wand. [emoji106] [emoji1037]

The name was originally a reference to the primary use for the device which is microoxygenation in wine, known colloquially as Mox. I have registered the domain name Electromox but was calling it Moxie for short.

It's also a common US slang term roughly equivalent to UK "bottle". Since I think the biggest market will be the USA I'm inclined to keep it.

Last edited:
Oxygen
Xenobiotic
Yardstick

O.X.Y for short

That's excellent.

Marvellous Oxygen Xenobiotic Yardstick = MOXY.

In my mind's eye I see in Showcard Font:

Professor Kelly's Marvellous
Oxygen Xenobiotic Yardstick

Cures all ills:
fermentile dysfunction,
premature attenuation,
lack of yeast libido,&c &c

Last edited:
I thought some detail on how this is used might be helpful.

First, slide the cathode (upper electrode) along the glass tube so that it is about half in the wort when the anode (bottom electrode) is at the bottom of the fermenter.

Sizing

Next, sanitise all the parts that will be in the fermenter: I spray with starsan, wait a few minutes then rinse off with boiling water.
Not having a porous sinter makes sanitisation really simple.

Then place the device in the fermenter, connect up the power supply and leave for the required time as per the rate card:in this case 1 hour 50minutes.
I just set a reminder on my phone for the finish time.

Running

When finished, pull it out and turn it off.

Last edited:
You'll have to wait for the beta tester reports for independent results.

From what I've seen there is no difference in outcome in terms of yeast health for a given actual O2 addition rate between the electronic method and the gas addition method.

The differences appears to lie in accuracy of addition rates and a reduction in collateral damage. Results so far indicate that this method has nearly complete utilisation of generated oxygen whereas with gas addition methods the amount of the added oxygen that ends up where it is wanted is pot luck. In theory adding oxygen at a rate that is within the absorbtion capacity of the yeast should mean less is available to participate in unwanted side reactions like lipid oxidation.

Last edited:
I might be missing something, but why would I change to a method which takes 1hr to oxygenate from a method that takes 1 minute, is predictable enough & very cheap?

You wouldn't. It's intended for commercial applications.

On page 1 the author states that they are “trying to keep it under $150 retail at LHBS”.
I assumed home brewers were the target market from that statement

I might be missing something, but why would I change to a method which takes 1hr to oxygenate from a method that takes 1 minute, is predictable enough & very cheap?

Take it or leave it, your choice.

I developed this as a side issue from a commercial application in wine. I thought it was worth doing at this scale, in my opinion the advantages (ease, cleanliness, accuracy, safety, no consumables) outweigh the single disadvantage (time), especially as it's not like the wort is going anywhere for that extra hour or two.

I fully expect that there will be those who do not share that opinion.

Last edited:
On page 1 the author states that they are “trying to keep it under $150 retail at LHBS”.
I assumed home brewers were the target market from that statement
Oh I missed that bit. My bad

That's alright, it now looks like I won't be able to hit that price point anyway. Making the thing foolproof has been surprisingly expensive.

For something that will last a lifetime (if looked after), a one time expense is acceptable for most here.
add on top of that that you dont have to keep stock of Oxygen and it becomes even more apealing.

The only real improvement I can think of is the addition of a timer, so you can set it up, turn it on and go to the shops, or to bed; take it out when you can.

The way I see it is this device isnt filling a hole, it is an alternative to the current method.

Latest posts

Back