New Low Volume Craft Beer "aussie Cool"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's got to be the worst name for a beer I've ever heard. Embarrassing.

mrCoolIce.jpg

Hi All,
I had the good fortune at the weekend to meet an enthusiastic bloke by the name of Manol.
He appears to have done a number of things with his life, the latest being to bring to market the "Aussie Cool" lager brand.
After having a crack at the first of my sample 6 pack, I would characterise it as a nice clean lager driven by saaz hops.
Link below, worth a look.
Cheers,
Mark.

http://www.aussiecoolbeer.com.au/
Clicked link, browser opened, read "Premium Lager" closed browser, I'd seen enough to form the opinion that I'm not interested.

On the IPA saleability front, I noted in the Australian article about the growth in craft beer, that the bloke from Lickyourland noted that they get some small profit on craft beers, as opposed to nil or a slight loss on cartons of megaswill.

Given that most craft beers tend to be of the American Pale Ale variety (with the odd IPA, Stout, Porter and the like thrown in, as occasionally, but not frequently a pilsner) - I'd say that there's a market for beers that the mainstream public may not consider sessionable, and that these beers are turning better profit than the bog standard Aussie lager/kraut pilsner.

Given that APAs tend to be rather forgiving of faults (hell, you can chuck a ton of hops at traces of diacetyl and only a discerning palate will really pick it up), most micros do one as a matter of course (and usually avoid pilsners for the converse reason). So the growth in the craft beer industry in Australia is almost synonymous with a growth in APA, and other non lager/pilsner beers.

Just theorising.

On topic - any beer called Aussie cool doesn't even get a look in for me for 2 reasons:

1. It sounds juvenile/try hard/sick mate boganesque
2. Aussie Cool? If referring to serving temp, then you'd guess that they don't want their beer served at a temp that true beer nerds prefer, as it will highlight all faults. Tooheys new is designed to be drunk ice-cold, as are most megaswills. It hides the blandness of the beer.

Sorry for such a long, meaningless post - I'm bored at work today.

Goomba

I wonder why they didn't go with "Lunatic Soup", thats as Aussie as...

But guys, the beer is unique, didn't you read the site?!
"Our beer is unique in that it receives a long cooling fermentation process"

How can you resist?

That reminds me, my cube of Chinese Saaz lager should be cool enough now - just got to pitch some Danish yeast for a quick 17 fermentation. :icon_cheers:

Don't forget that it's brewed in the regional city called North Western Victoria and it's new, new, new! I'm interested in how they installed the delicate malt and hop character - maybe they'll release the installer for download?

I'll send you a bottle. Won't take long :icon_cheers:

edit: I brewed it as the cheapest boring beer possible to fill a keg for a party :lol:

:icon_offtopic:

Chinese Lager
International Strong Lager

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.500
Total Hops (g): 92.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.12 %
Colour (SRM): 3.1 (EBC): 6.1
Bitterness (IBU): 22.4 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Pilsner Barrett Burston (90.91%)
0.500 kg Maltose Syrup Chinese (9.09%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
80.0 g Saaz Chinese Pellet (3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (3.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 17C with Wyeast 2042 - Danish Lager

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

IM(not very)HO, three quarters of beer drinkers drink it to get pissed.

We're in the minority (and it's a very small minority) us blokes who actually like to taste beer.

Why that's a revelation to so many people is beyond me.

People don't want taste. They want something cheap and cold and bland that their mates don't laugh at. Wanna market a new beer?

You could sell a 50% Pils malt, 30% sugaz and 20% rice fermented hot down to 1.002, served at 2C so long as you had an ad on TV for it with ugly blokes scoring hot chicks while drinking it.

People on AHB have far too much faith in beer drinkers. They're yobs and morons by and large. Let 'em have their VB. No skin off my nose.

People on AHB have far too much faith in beer drinkers. They're yobs and morons by and large. Let 'em have their VB. No skin off my nose.

actually i reackon the most half-brained blokey aussies would see through this beer just by the name, sensing its "obviously for export" fake-ness, and opt for something steeped in a bit more "comes from here, brewed by this guy, recognised by you" kinda guff.

I think you dont give the yobs and morons enough credit, their damned discerning - they can spot the trademarked colours, of the brand of beer they've grown to love more than their dog, from a mile away.

sim

Look forward to it.

Thanks for the recipe - it's somewhat what I was thinking.

In my brewing hobby, there's two goals I'm always trying to achieve - my best beer and my cheapest beer.

Goomba
2nd one is always the easiest of the two goals, Goomba.
Try hitting both at once... near impossible.

2nd one is always the easiest of the two goals, Goomba.
Try hitting both at once... near impossible.

Yup - I set one goal for keg filling for quick consumption by persons who don't want to be too challenged and the latter goal is for me and pushing the boundries of what I like to drink. Both at once, I'm not even game.

My cheapest beer ever made a 10 kit brewer travel down to craftbrewer and buy an urn that weekend.
beerbang.gif

Cheap good beer is easy, cheap and best ever is impossible.

I know the Chinese Saaz thing left a bad taste in people's mouth (figuratively, not literally), but to pick up hops for uber cheap would have been fantastic for knocking a quick, easy drinking beer for goal 1.

Goomba

Latest posts

Back