New Low Volume Craft Beer "aussie Cool"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bowls? Shitloads. (LC is only in pack though, and I give it a nudge ;)

My joint, its on par, but as I said before, probably has alot to do with what I like to promote and drink.

I like educating people about good beer from the deep end if you know what I mean...

If I can get a regular VB drinker to buy a schooner of 1000IBU for 15 bucks and ask for another, I consider my work on earth done.

Come on down for a beer sometime, 100 boundary st West End, I'm always here.

well you certainly do have some excellent IPAs on at the moment... don't they Ben? :ph34r:

Edit: although i must say... last i was in there, whilst the selection of IPAs are great i was looking for some variety after having the massive hop-bomb of the Brewdog Hardcore. Would have liked a malty lager or rich ale to counterbalance. Either way keep it up :icon_cheers:

If you have to put the name 'cool' on your beer I think you're trying a tad too hard.

That said Craft Lagers in this country are largely ignored by our craft brewers and I'd like to see some more of them churn out a few interesting ones.

In New Zealand they have heaps of interesting lagers - strong lagers, hoppy lagers, those guys are actually pushing the envelope a bit. Where as here we simply get quasi lagers and try hard lagers like 'Mountain Goat's Steam Beer' - to which I say meh. I suppose it's their best seller though so maybe I shouldn't diss it. It has a home and a bit of a following.

About time someone experimented more in this zone methinks. Realise that the process is longer and all making lagers, but would be good to see some clean ester free beers really showcasing their ingredients in this country. I love my ale as much as the next guy - but Pale Ales are becoming a tad cliche. All the tasting notes for them are starting to look the same.

Hopper.

Aussie Cool ??? come off it...

Sounds like the head of marketing is a 9 year old, naming an ice block he just invented, by mixing green and yellow cordial and putting it in the freezer.

If you want a good semi-mass-produced pils. Little Creatures Pils is the bomb. It used to be rough, but the last 12 months it has been really nice. Nice gentle hoppiness.

Or Konig pils if you want a cheaper german option (got it for $37 for a carton the other day). Solid beer.

And my 2 cents on the debate: Good lagers are as good as good american IPAs, which are as good as good english ales, which are as good as good stouts, which are as good as good belgian ales, etc. But they all have to be fresh and in good condition, and from a good brewery. If you think lager = mass produced blandness, you need to get your hands on some good local examples (i.e. hop rocker, little creatures, etc)- or visit Bamberg (heaven for lagerbiers of all forms - unfiltered, keller, rauch, landbier, hoppy dunkel, bock, pils, hell, and the list goes on).

Woefully out of touch I'm afraid. In case you haven't noticed a great deal of what happens in the US happens here. OK, so you don't have a taste hops. Good for you! There's an endless supply of insipid lagers and tasteless, flat English ales out there that won't offend. And I presume you've sampled the US craft beer market at source.

The warmer and flatter the better when it comes to Real Ale my friend. Loving how Hop Zealots never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Can you give an example where a DIPA's and RIS's in Australia commercially makes sense and a brewer making a living on this style of beer? $100 + on excise per keg, min $13-15 bucks a pint on tap .... customers can drink how many pints? Are there no brewers doing some really interesting stuff not at 10% alc and 100BU, here or in other countries?

Sure, diversity is great and I more than most support a wide range of beers, but commercially those beers are a waste of malt and hops. I didn't say I disliked them, moreso they are not a profitable exercise. So am I out of touch or just being rational?

Same applies to another fizzy yellow lager, seems the only guys making money out of those beers are owned by South Africans and Japanese ... with deep pockets ...

Scotty

Well now that you mention it, due to my persistant whinging, the Banyo Bowls clubs stocks little creatures pale and rogers.....

Nothing fantastic, but better than swilling XXXX Gold with all the old codgers....

The venue I run is in West End.

Hahaha wow.

I used to live across from that bowlo (on froude street). That's classic.

customers can drink how many pints? Are there no brewers doing some really interesting stuff not at 10% alc and 100BU, here or in other countries?

Sure, diversity is great and I more than most support a wide range of beers, but commercially those beers are a waste of malt and hops. I didn't say I disliked them, moreso they are not a profitable exercise. So am I out of touch or just being rational?

Yes, many American Craft brewers are known for their standard balanced IPAs (think union jack or hop devil), pilsners (think Avery Joes Pilsner, or Prima Pils from Victory which is outstanding), Stouts (think Shakespeare Stout, Sierra Nevada), and the list goes on and on. Countless classic US craft beers top out at about 7%. Also sour beers are not high in ABV. I think the trend in the US is now going the other way - session beers are the trend.

Yes there can be a heavy use of hops and malt - but that is only an issue here in Australia where beer and ingredients are relatively expensive (and tax sucks). Its not a problem over there. A double IPA at the bar will often cost you the same as a pale ale. Or in Bavaria a doppelbock usually costs exactly the same as a helles. For that reason, you may have a point - whats the point of a malt or hop bomb here if its A$15-20 a pint. Good beer becomes a "privilege" rather than a "right". I reckon Aussie brewers should brew to our conditions (those including economic & regulatory). Maybe yeast driven beers are the go, as yeast is basically free!! Brew some session beers based around belgian ale yeast or something. Less of a burden to the taxman and lower hoploads. Develop some new bloody styles (or takes on existing styles) instead of copying a country where bucketloads of cheap, exciting hops are grown on their doorstep. In general, a lot of genius is carried out under restraint, where you are forced to work with less and be innovative. In this case, less hops...... at least that is which way I would go if I was commercial. So maybe its good I'm not or I may be broke :)

Well now that you mention it, due to my persistant whinging, the Banyo Bowls clubs stocks little creatures pale and rogers.....

Nothing fantastic, but better than swilling XXXX Gold with all the old codgers....

The venue I run is in West End.

...heya Dan...It's Scotty...Greetings from the Jackie Lounge...still yet to try a King Brown Beer....

I'll have to send one down with rosco the next time he is up mate.

When are you coming up to show me how to use my equipment properly?

Had a KIng Brown BIPA..... :beerbang:
Was there last night to scab some more but they had already been drunk.

Latest posts

Back