New Low Volume Craft Beer "aussie Cool"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cheapest beer ever made a 10 kit brewer travel down to craftbrewer and buy an urn that weekend.
beerbang.gif

Goomba

Quoting that for truth.

Getting back to the topic, it smacks of "made for export, but still trying to seem hip and cool to people who like to be beer snobs but really want Extra Dry in a bottle their friends won't recognise to seem edgy."
Good on 'em for having a go though, I hope to do something similar one day. And when I say something similar, I mean something that's nothing like what they're pushing.

And the writing is cut off at the edge of the panel (well in Google chrome it is anyway) and whats with that Gaybo music??? Poor website design. If you cant get your website design right then whats that say for your product?

Yep, DIPA's are simply a waste of malt and hops. As much as it pains some folks, there aint much selling going on with those beers. The hop zealots on Beer Advocate hate the fact I show disdain for commercially unviable beer ... what happens in the US aint always good here. Just like Snapple.

Sorry, i found the marketing tacky and the story full of the usual rhetoric by folks that had beer made on contract and knew little about beer. Give me a Moo Brew Pils or Australian Brewery Pilsner, thems the real beers you are after BG ...

Scotty
Woefully out of touch I'm afraid. In case you haven't noticed a great deal of what happens in the US happens here. OK, so you don't have a taste hops. Good for you! There's an endless supply of insipid lagers and tasteless, flat English ales out there that won't offend. And I presume you've sampled the US craft beer market at source.

Woefully out of touch I'm afraid. In case you haven't noticed a great deal of what happens in the US happens here. OK, so you don't have a taste hops. Good for you! There's an endless supply of insipid lagers and tasteless, flat English ales out there that won't offend. And I presume you've sampled the US craft beer market at source.
You know they are not all like that . Well the ones we make at home !
Nev

If you drink too much Aussie cool, would you be Aussie fully sick?

Awesome name.......

If you drink too much Aussie cool, would you be Aussie fully sick?

Awesome name.......

Yeah, and then all of your shirts turn into flannelette, your 10 hole Doc Marten boots mystically morph into a pair of thongs, and your "no.2 haircut" grows a "rat's tail".....

lol, why would i need this beer when i can drink Carlton Draught from the mildura brewery!

Seriously though, everyone I knows would get a carlton over this sort of beer.

If your at a Micro brewery I think you expect Different more hopy beers.

This is just another crap beer from Mildura Brewery...

Scotty is politely sharing his experience, which happens to be real life experience working in a pub, that serves mostly craft beers in the Rocks. Im pretty sure scotty likes drinking those beers, i know, i've seen him drink plenty of "different" beers, although he does deep down truly love fizzy yellow lagers ( haha, the thruth is out scotty! ). He also brews some pretty damn fine non lager beers too.

"flat english ales"??, who's out of touch here??

Just because "we" love DIPA's and massive beers, doesnt mean they will sell well on a commercial level. Sad though it may be, it's reality. If you opened a brewpub, and just had 3 belgians, a DIPA, and a RIS, how commercialy viable do you think it'd be??. Basically do you think you'd sell enough volume to stay open??. Sure you'd have a small band of diehard beergeeks like us coming in, but realistically it wouldn't be enough week in week out to cover little things like bills, wages etc. Most of them have an "entry" lever beer, like lager or blonde, so joe public can tell his mates he drank "real fancy" beer.

I'm waiting for the time someone says my beer is warm and flat.

Actually it's funny, I remember either Bumble (David Lloyd) or Geoffrey Boycott reading a sign by an Aussie at the cricket in England that said "yes, it really is warm and flat" and the commentator says in his thick northern accent "better than being freezing cold and flavourless".

I'm actually tempted to knock up a keg of an Aussie Pale Ale - especially CPA, but that requires me to 1. Have another keg on hand; 2. Stop brewing APA (never!) and 3. Have POR come into my possession.

That solves it, I'm not tempted enough - another APA is coming.

Goomba

Just because "we" love DIPA's and massive beers, doesnt mean they will sell well on a commercial level. Sad though it may be, it's reality. If you opened a brewpub, and just had 3 belgians, a DIPA, and a RIS, how commercialy viable do you think it'd be??

Well I think you may be right if you qualify that with "in Australia".

In certain parts of the US you probably wouldn't be able to keep up with demand if you did that with any level of competency.

Like this:

http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/pages/brews/index.html

Which I believe is relevant due to the original quip about

The hop zealots on Beer Advocate hate the fact I show disdain for commercially unviable beer ...

Guess where most of the Beer Advocate posters live?

Let's get it right here. For a country with the heat of Australia, you HAVE to have a lager on tap in a pub. You could have weiss beers but that would be dependent on beer recognition from yobs a lot.

Whenever I happen to drop in at the Bavarian beer house, most of the guys are drinking variants of Lager, especially lowenbrau. Ffs, when they have hofbrau on tap and some pretty fresh schneider and franziskaner available, wy'd you buy lowenbrau?! It's about brand recognition more than anything else. You absolutely need a crowdpleaser specific to Aussie tastes and heat.

PS: me, I get the chilli spatzle and an aventius to turn down the heat :) people stare and ask what is Das!

My 2 cents.

Good on this bloke for having a go.

Is it good marketing? Probably not great.

For the knockers out there if you believe what you say then borrow some cash and put out the beer you want to sell. There is plenty of room in the market for more beer, gateway beer or hop monster or in between.

It all depends on your passion, your target market and business strategy/model.

Anyone who think DIPA's don't sell in a commercial environment is sadly mistaken.

Whenever I get a new shipment of new beers in, the big IPA's are always the first beers to sell out, regardless of price.

IPA sells FAR more than lager at our venue, although I am sure my love of big IPAs might have a little to do with it....

Hops for the win.

Where's your venue? Don't tell me there's a decent place in Banyo!

Well now that you mention it, due to my persistant whinging, the Banyo Bowls clubs stocks little creatures pale and rogers.....

Nothing fantastic, but better than swilling XXXX Gold with all the old codgers....

The venue I run is in West End.

Anyone who think DIPA's don't sell in a commercial environment is sadly mistaken.

Whenever I get a new shipment of new beers in, the big IPA's are always the first beers to sell out, regardless of price.

IPA sells FAR more than lager at our venue, although I am sure my love of big IPAs might have a little to do with it....

Hops for the win.

It's not so much the argument that they don't sell, just that "entry level" beers, like pale ale, and lagers/blonde ales sell much more by volume on a regular basis.

How many kegs of swill sell, compared to the LC pale and rogers at the bowlo? and your venue? If you're selling more IPA than any other beer at your place, well done, you should be proud. LEt us know where it is!!.

Without wanting to name the venue in case he doesn't want to for forum reasons I suspect KingBrown is talking about bottle sales from their attached bottle store whereas Scotty is dealing more from the tap sales point of view, and even acknowledged that bottle sales are a different beast...

I know, without having actual figures, that the venue in question goes through a lot of pale ales, lager etc. from the front bar, probably more than kegs of IPAs (with some possible exceptions for really good IPAs for example...)

Let's face it, neither of them is wrong, because they are talking about their experiences in the sales end of the industry.

Personally I welcome a well crafted pilsner as much as a well crafted pale ale or RIS or IIPA as part of a wide and varied choice for me as the selfish consumer.

But another bland lager (and yes I am making assumptions about this beer without tasting it)? No...

Personally I welcome a well crafted pilsner as much as a well crafted pale ale or RIS or IIPA as part of a wide and varied choice for me as the selfish consumer.

But another bland lager (and yes I am making assumptions about this beer without tasting it)? No...

I agree with you 100%

Latest posts

Back