New Low Volume Craft Beer "aussie Cool"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_m

Reaction score
Hi All,
I had the good fortune at the weekend to meet an enthusiastic bloke by the name of Manol.
He appears to have done a number of things with his life, the latest being to bring to market the "Aussie Cool" lager brand.
After having a crack at the first of my sample 6 pack, I would characterise it as a nice clean lager driven by saaz hops.
Link below, worth a look.
Cheers,
Mark.

http://www.aussiecoolbeer.com.au/

And we need another lager like this ...

Like we need another hop monster APA and wonder why mainstream beer drinkers mysteriously don't "get" how unfortunate they are not to be drinking "craft beer"

Bring on the lagers I say, it's the "natural" beer of Australia, and just because the mainstreams have prostituted the style, no reason why well made lagers and Pilsners in particular should be sneered at.

Yep, DIPA's are simply a waste of malt and hops. As much as it pains some folks, there aint much selling going on with those beers. The hop zealots on Beer Advocate hate the fact I show disdain for commercially unviable beer ... what happens in the US aint always good here. Just like Snapple.

Sorry, i found the marketing tacky and the story full of the usual rhetoric by folks that had beer made on contract and knew little about beer. Give me a Moo Brew Pils or Australian Brewery Pilsner, thems the real beers you are after BG ...

Scotty

Whilst i will go out and grab a sixer to try it, that's some of the most wanky marketing bullshit i've read in a long time on the "about our beer" page....

Whilst i will go out and grab a sixer to try it, that's some of the most wanky marketing bullshit i've read in a long time on the "about our beer" page....
I take it you don't drink much wine then?

Yep, DIPA's are simply a waste of malt and hops. As much as it pains some folks, there aint much selling going on with those beers. The hop zealots on Beer Advocate hate the fact I show disdain for commercially unviable beer ... what happens in the US aint always good here. Just like Snapple.

Sorry, i found the marketing tacky and the story full of the usual rhetoric by folks that had beer made on contract and knew little about beer. Give me a Moo Brew Pils or Australian Brewery Pilsner, thems the real beers you are after BG ...

Scotty

I understand this if you are talking in terms of very large scale operations, but in terms of smaller craft-based beer stores this simply isn't the case. Without a doubt good IPA's and RIS's are selling like hotcakes at these kinds of stores. Epic Hop Zombie, for one, is a massive commercial success, like it or not. I'm sure even Moylans Hopsickle has sold well since arriving, despite genuinely being a total waste of all the ingredients that went in to making it.

To be honest, I'd probably love the beers you make at your establishment - I can't really drink more than one or two super hoppy beers any more - but I feel like on this point you might be ignoring reality just a touch?

Also, what's the point of making a european style pilsener when traditional examples of the style can be had for a lower price? I reckon beers like Knappstein, Red Angus and Hop Rocker are much more on the money for what southern hemisphere brewers need to be doing with their pilseners.

I understand this if you are talking in terms of very large scale operations, but in terms of smaller craft-based beer stores this simply isn't the case. Without a doubt good IPA's and RIS's are selling like hotcakes at these kinds of stores. Epic Hop Zombie, for one, is a massive commercial success, like it or not. I'm sure even Moylans Hopsickle has sold well since arriving, despite genuinely being a total waste of all the ingredients that went in to making it.

To be honest, I'd probably love the beers you make at your establishment - I can't really drink more than one or two super hoppy beers any more - but I feel like on this point you might be ignoring reality just a touch?

Also, what's the point of making a european style pilsener when traditional examples of the style can be had for a lower price? I reckon beers like Knappstein, Red Angus and Hop Rocker are much more on the money for what southern hemisphere brewers need to be doing with their pilseners.

I think its a mutual bro-romance gone a drift, in smaller craft bars you'll understand RIS's and DIPA's are the worst selling beers on tap in a bar. Retail stores will and can differ. Punters on a Friday do not want to drink or pay for this sort of beer in a pub/bar; an everyday beer will suffice.

The old salesman in me see's sales a result of success, there is no ignoring reality with sales numbers at hand. The last DIPA we had on tap took 2.5 weeks to sell a keg, we are selling 10 kegs a week of our pale, triple that out in trade. We also have 3 other beers gong boingo.

The 3 pils listed are all NS based. To be honest, Croucher Pils made these beers look pedestrian with the same hop. The Aust Brewery Pils brewed by the same brewer as Red Angus, and something you have not seen in Melb (and best Pils at the Adelaide Show) is awesome.

So I reckon when it comes to Pils, it is all about balance for the Southerners ... no the hop.

Scotty

My misguided opinion is that when people are "getting on it", they usually want something easy drinking.

They'll go for a lager or some type of James Squire as they wont be dominated by the flavour.

Back on topic.

Not my type of beer, but good luck to them all the same.

I think its a mutual bro-romance gone a drift, in smaller craft bars you'll understand RIS's and DIPA's are the worst selling beers on tap in a bar. Retail stores will and can differ. Punters on a Friday do not want to drink or pay for this sort of beer in a pub/bar; an everyday beer will suffice.

The old salesman in me see's sales a result of success, there is no ignoring reality with sales numbers at hand. The last DIPA we had on tap took 2.5 weeks to sell a keg, we are selling 10 kegs a week of our pale, triple that out in trade. We also have 3 other beers gong boingo.

The 3 pils listed are all NS based. To be honest, Croucher Pils made these beers look pedestrian with the same hop. The Aust Brewery Pils brewed by the same brewer as Red Angus, and something you have not seen in Melb (and best Pils at the Adelaide Show) is awesome.

So I reckon when it comes to Pils, it is all about balance for the Southerners ... no the hop.

Scotty

Sure, in a bar setting it is bound to be different. If I just wanted to get pissed then I'd be slamming down pints of pils/pale too. There is a not insignificant market though for hoppy australian beers. Hop Hog seems to sell like hotcakes at my local pub in carlton, but again I don't have the figures as to how well it compares to the other beers on tap. Interestingly, most people who go there seem to order carlton draught despite being able to pay marginally more for a pint of a wide range of craft beers.

Could it also perhaps be, and this is just a theory, that because of your obvious preference for lower abv, highly drinkable beers which are good representations of classic styles that those people searching for big experimental beers or hop bombs have learned not to visit your venue and as such your clientele are not the kind of people who would particularly enjoy drinking an IIPA?

I'll have to try Croucher Pils as I reckon the Knappstein especially is really something special.

Sure, in a bar setting it is bound to be different. If I just wanted to get pissed then I'd be slamming down pints of pils/pale too. There is a not insignificant market though for hoppy australian beers. Hop Hog seems to sell like hotcakes at my local pub in carlton, but again I don't have the figures as to how well it compares to the other beers on tap. Interestingly, most people who go there seem to order carlton draught despite being able to pay marginally more for a pint of a wide range of craft beers.

Could it also perhaps be, and this is just a theory, that because of your obvious preference for lower abv, highly drinkable beers which are good representations of classic styles that those people searching for big experimental beers or hop bombs have learned not to visit your venue and as such your clientele are not the kind of people who would particularly enjoy drinking an IIPA?

I'll have to try Croucher Pils as I reckon the Knappstein especially is really something special.
I don't think hart's pub regulars are mainstream lager swillers looking to "get on it"!

You'd think that if they were so proud to introduce the latest and greatest Aussie beer, they would take the time to proof-read their "About us" blurb.
Incompetence leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :blink:

Scotty

No only tacky but written by someone with a minimum grasp of the written English language.

It sounds like it was originally written in a different language, then put through babelfish.

Snap, pimpsqueak.

I don't think hart's pub regulars are mainstream lager swillers looking to "get on it"!

Not trying to say they are, was just making observations about my own experiences at other venues.

edit: this has gone way off topic.

Back on topic: I agree with above posters - website looks terrible and the packaging reminds me of chinese beer.... Not great things!

A really innovative pale lager that uses saaz! I bet it tastes like adjunct.

and the "innovative" brewing technique seems to include (but may be limited to) a long cool fermentation cycle......

wow, lager's feremented cool and for longer than an ale? who would've thought.....

bignath is feeling sarcastic this morning.

Name doesn't do it for me, and lagers don't get me excited.
But hey, good luck to him. I'll give it a try if I see it.

Hmmmm,

I must get me to this "Regional City of North Western Victoria, in the Sunraysia region". I wonder if Mildura knows it has a new competitor? ;)

Hmmmm,

I must get me to this "Regional City of North Western Victoria, in the Sunraysia region". I wonder if Mildura knows it has a new competitor? ;)

Come and check out how phenomenally pristine it is.

I reckon they should of called the beer Aussie Rad or Aussie Sick or Aussie Mad Snake.....

Back