Stammtisch Challenge - Autumn 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, as this will be judged early on swap day no one will be fussed if we have to judge beer out of a keg :icon_drunk:
Nige

Kept putting off brewing this, until now. :icon_cheers:
Lazy Sunday afternoon, missus sleeping the day away after working through the night so thought I'd take the opportunity.
BB Ale, Wheat, Crystal and Caramalt, POR for bittering then Motueka flowers for flavour and aroma. US05 @ 18C.
Cheers
Nige

count me in :) I just bottled a beer that fits this category perfectly! Will post the recipe after work, but it involved 100g of cascade flowers at 20 mins or less :)

Recipe for my entry

5kg BB ale
700g BB Wheat
200g Bairds light crystal
100g pale choc

15g target @ 60
50g NZ Cascade @20
50g NZ Cascade @ 0

35IBU ish, certainly tastes it, if not more

OG 1.048
dunno FG broke my hydro :p

Not brewing for this but am hoping to judge.

I hope my entry in this is good because it's going to be my swap beer as well. I didn't really realise until tonight how close the swap is & that if this beer turns out bad I'll have to put a best after date on the beer fermenting now. Tasted pretty OK out of the fermenter though.

Who apart from Raven is going to judge?

I'm only going to get this into the fermenter today, just been too busy lately and lack of fridge space is a problem.
I still aim to have an entry but depends on keg space as I will keg, gas and CPBF at the last minute.
If I don't get it done I'll put my hand up for judging instead.

Any interstate brewers want to get in on this? I'm happy for you to post your entries to me and I'll ensure they get to the venue. PM for postal address.
Cheers
Nige

I hope my entry in this is good because it's going to be my swap beer as well. I didn't really realise until tonight how close the swap is & that if this beer turns out bad I'll have to put a best after date on the beer fermenting now. Tasted pretty OK out of the fermenter though.

Who apart from Raven is going to judge?

I wasn't sure if I'd make the swap intially, and then whether I'd brew something, although I have something its not as clean as it could or should be so I'm happy to judge.

Pretty sure this is how the results ended up:

1. Kieren
2. Awesome Fury
3. NigeP62

Congrats to Kieren. Bring on the next challenge! :icon_cheers:

Some good brews in there today for sure.

I liked the judging style too, going for the best of with a 2nd and 3rd.

Now to get a perpetual trophy going! :)

I had a lot of fun brewing for this one, all the other entries I got to try were great too. I think most people liked the challenge of brewing to a style rather than a set recipe so i think the next challenge will be along these lines.

Thanks to jayse, Raven and Boston for judging.

Kieren,

Congrats on the win it was a great tasting beer.
Could you share the recipe you used for your beer? I'd like to attempt making it one day.

HC

Really happy with a third behind Kieren.
Not usually my style of beer but loved working out the recipe from scratch and coming up with something sessionable.
Well done Kieren and thanks to the judges.
Cheers
Nige

I'm really excited I got a Second! And really surprised! hope you guys liked my beer.

I usually brew this type of beer, and it's good to know that i'm getting better at it!

Cheers,

Awesome Fury

Kieren,

Congrats on the win it was a great tasting beer.
Could you share the recipe you used for your beer? I'd like to attempt making it one day.

HC

When I get back to Whyalla on Wednesday I can post the recipe - I don't have it with me and want to make sure I get it correct.

When I get back to Whyalla on Wednesday I can post the recipe - I don't have it with me and want to make sure I get it correct.

I remember the recipe quite clearly...and have it on email, but I'll let you post it up buddy. Kieren and I basically brewed the same grist, however, similar hopping schedule (but mine didn't have a dry hop).

Cheers
Phil

Don't forget to grab the brew rig from the Hatch man too. ;) :lol:

Kieren and I basically brewed the same grist, however, similar hopping schedule (but mine didn't have a dry hop).

As one of the judges (albeit being a newb to this judging thing) I found the dry hop just added that little bit more to the brew, and complimented it nicely.

My recipe...

O8 1.048
FG 1.009

Bairds Golden Promise 55%
Wey Munich I 20%
Wey Rye 20%
Bairds Pale Crystal 5%

0.8g/L Galaxy @ flameout
0.8g/L Riwaka @ flameout
1g/L Galaxy @ 15 min
1g/L Riwaka @ 15 min
Columbus @ 60 to 33 IBU's