What Are You Aussie's Drinking, Anyway?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elduderino

Reaction score
I came to this site because I'm interested in BIAB but have enjoyed learning about how you guys do things. It's funny how entrenched people here are about doing things a certain way. Anyway, you've given me some great ideas to try. I just saw this on beervana.blogspot.com and wondered what it's like over there. It seems like there are a ton of brewer's over there, at least by the activity on this forum, but is it true that the Australian beer culture is changing?

Here's the original post:
Australian for beer - Corona

And here's the article copied from the above link...
This is enough to give even a Foster's-snubbing yank the willies: Aussies are abandoning beer in shocking numbers:
In August Foster's flagship beer, VB, fell by 15.4 per cent in volume, while its Pure Blonde brand fell by almost 20 per cent. Its Mexican import, Corona, bucked the trend and was up 20.2 per cent. It was a similar story for Lion Nathan, with XXXX down 4.2 per cent, Tooheys down 16.2 per cent and Boags down 8.1 per cent.​
This may be similar to the trend in the US, where domestics are down, though the Corona data point confuses matter. As to the performance of Australian craft breweries, the Morning Herald says only this: "Mr Bowley said these drivers included consumers dumping beers such as VB or Tooheys for imports and boutique beers." Good, I guess, but I'd like to see some numbers.

Here's a question I wonder about: has consolidation and homogenization of international light lagers led to some kind of tipping point where consumers are actually turning away from them? Or, is this a case of a trend that's just having its moment? Put another way, which is the better analogue to what we're seeing: the displacement of crappy coffee by much higher-quality blends, or the momentary success of a fad like wine coolers? No doubt it's somewhere in-between, but which is closer to the mark?

Probably better taste partly. There are the bogans who'll always back their megaswill and I've heard lines from them such as "German beer sucks, they don't know how to make good beer" - like hundreds of years of brewing experience is worthless.

I find that some are going to German/Euro megaswill which is still way better than Aussie megaswill.

Then there is Corona - cheap mexican beer which we pay a fortune for and all the cashed-up-bogans and pretend beer snobs use it as a point of differentiation.

Dan's have increased the cold section amount of craft beer, which is a great step. The smaller brewers with interesting beers are now being showcased (and indeed overshadow megaswill in the shop). One can't help but to look and that piques curiosity.

Goomba

Hopefully its closer to the coffee analogy, our microbrewery scene could use a boost. (and better tax breaks)

Hopefully its closer to the coffee analogy, our microbrewery scene could use a boost. (and better tax breaks)

Beer sales have been spiraling for years. The whole alcopop thing and wine started it off.

People have never really been all that happy with Aussie's shit beers. If 5% bourbon and coke is the same price, no one buys beer when it tastes like sewer water (VB).

Hear, hear!

Keep in mind that up until a few years ago there was very little choice in terms of taste - the megaswills were all roughly the same (despite some die-hard opinions that X' was infinitely better than X) and the international market has recently exploded due to cheap generic imports (Lowenbrau, steinlager, etc). As for 'declining' sales I would say that the lack of numbers is indeed telling - I don't accept any 'news' of a 'trend' unless the actual statistics are quoted in context.

As for Corona, I like the 'Beer Bible' quote - "Corona: Proof that Australians don't like the taste of beer." While Corona has its place (hot day in the sun) it's found a niche as a high-class beverage for people who don't know better.

After visiting the USA I'm appalled at the lack of craft-beer market here - it is non-existent on the scale of USA micros. The excise is certainly a big factor, and I'm all for boosting the incentives, but getting more people informed about quality over quantity would surely help the case.

As for home-brewing however, I see nothing but good things. There's never been a better time to get into the craft here in Australia - plenty of availability of decent ingredients/knowledge/helpers.

Welcome. And here's hoping the beer culture is on its way to a change.

In a free market economy it would seem that consumers want more choice in any product they are buying.

CUB & Lion Nathan still probably have 98% market share whether that be domestic brands (VB, Carlton Draught, Tooheys New etc) or "imported" brands brewed under license (Stella, Heiniken etc). But there certainly is more choice than ever to Australia beer drinkers whether that be Australian craft beers, top quality imports from traditional beer brewing countries like Belgium, Germany & England or a growing number of imports of American craft brewers.

As mentioned above Dan Murphy's who are one of Australia's biggest alcoholic beverage retailers, have been pushing craft beer a lot more. Recently they have had a "10% off a mixed dozen craft beer" promotion similar to what they have done with wine for years.

I can't speak for other states or the outer suburbs but it's pretty hard to find a bottle shop in Melbourne that doesn't have some sort of craft beer, even if it is from one of the "craft" brands of the major breweries.

Also it seems as though there isn't a week that goes by in Melbourne where there isn't some sort of beer related event.

In order for the Australian craft beer industry to organically grow there needs to be some serious excise tax reform.

Slighty off topic but after very favourable tax concessions to the Australian wine industry for quite a few years there is now a "wine glut" & Wine Australia is asking the federal government for money/assistance in helping people get OUT of the wine industry. Now would be a good time for some Australian craft brewers to do some wine barrel fermenting/aging!

I think our micros have to pay as much tax on their beer as the macros, which is different how the wine industry works. There was a thread in the pub a few months ago about starting a brewery which talked about the problems, one of which being you can't build a brewpub in a residential area, only industrial, which is different to how the US does it.

I'd say the move from VB to Corona is simply a ditch attempt of bogans trying to appear sophisticated... Personally they're both crap beers.

Although I've noticed amongst my friends a strong move from local "chump" beers to import EU beers. Dan Murphy's range and the accessibility has definitely helped with that.

+1 to the bogan corona comment; sadly having tasted both, to me they taste the same but I feel there is more of an attempt to push lesser known beers.

I would suggest that any fall in the number of people that drink beer is just because so many people drink wine now, gone are the days when people said "only wogs drink vino"
Wine is better marketed in Australia than beer all beers ads are the same and only a couple of mega swillers advertise widely
here.Beer will come back but the truth is its overtaxed and many aussies cant justify parting with the $$ when trying to pay of a mortgage.
Coronas seems to be consumed alot by women which may account for some rise...they also sponser Occy which was a smart move.

Also beer is just too bloody expensive here compared with the US and Canada and only about $10.00 a case in places like Venezuela.

How about beer cheaper than Coke in Langkawi a nice duty free island.

Beer here is becoming a luxury item and not a staple part of the diet no wonder the amounts sold are dropping.

Went into Dans bought a 6pack Budvar 2x Youngs double Choc stout and a bottle of red and it came to $43.00

Beer sales have been spiraling for years. The whole alcopop thing and wine started it off.

People have never really been all that happy with Aussie's shit beers. If 5% bourbon and coke is the same price, no one buys beer when it tastes like sewer water (VB).

Yep totally agree here...

I used to work in a local university pub (RE) from 1997 till 2003... we always had 1 bench mark night of the year - Easter Thursday (everything shut at midnight so local pubs did well)

In 97 we sold 81 kegs from 6pm to midnight... huge!!! but every year this got less and less. (prety sure 98 was 69 :D ). In my final year there we only did around 30. Still big but with rum and coke, bacardi breezers and the like becoming more popular the draught drinkers were quickly dropping off. We were as busy as ever but fewer people were drinking beer on tap.

So the steady decline continues and with fashinable imports - read Corona and such... the market this has taken a further chunk out of the big breweries profits.

Micros just don't have a chance... cause pubs, in general won't stock the product unless the consumer wants it... an without pubs stocking it they won't know that they want it.

This is actually proven by the pub i used to work at... the punters wanted XXXX so that's what they got... even though the pub was owned by CUB... actually the RE used sell more XXXX than anywhere else in the state... kinda like a coke machine selling more pepsi than coke. ;)

Just some statistics for those who care...

Little World Beverages (Owners of Little Creatures and White Rabbit) were listed on the Australian Stock Exchange in 2005 for $1.10 per share, today they are worth $2.77 per share (wish I had real money to invest in them instead of just fake money in a silly economics investment game in year 12).

In comparison, Fosters (who were listed in 1982) is worth $6.06 per share today.

There have also been a few more listings of craft breweries on the ASX in the last 5 years.

Beer here is becoming a luxury item
As it ******* should be.

Anyone blaming excise is a full of shit dickhead. Yes, even you. Lower the excise on craft beers and it will still cost more than the megas and dumbfuck drunks will still by the cheap shit. Seriously - how many of you say "Geez, I could really go a RIS right about now...oh look at that! VB Raw is on sale!!!" Stupidity.

Yes, even you

well I agree but its like cigarettes people are set in there ways if it goes from $35 a carton of beer to $40 a carton people will buy it then few years later it goes from $40 to $45 they think thats ok still. Guy i used to work with between him and his wife drunk 2 packs of 50 cigs and 1 carton of beer you work it out was like $20 per pack smokes and $40+ for beer thats $80 a day and $560 a week you think if they cared about money it would be a issue?

As it ******* should be.

Anyone blaming excise is a full of shit dickhead. Yes, even you. Lower the excise on craft beers and it will still cost more than the megas and dumbfuck drunks will still by the cheap shit. Seriously - how many of you say "Geez, I could really go a RIS right about now...oh look at that! VB Raw is on sale!!!" Stupidity.

Yes, even you

I disagree. Sure excise concessions that give craft beer a chance would be handy.

But even if it was an across the board cut and now swill cost $20/case and craft beer cost $30/case I'm pretty sure the craft beer would gain a massive advantage. Unfortunately the going rate for mega lager is $35+ and that puts craft beer over $50/case. And at that price point it's hard to see a "swinging voter" go for the local craft beer instead of his local mega beer... I would, but most of my friends would not.

I think it would be a combination of price and education.

Bogans think Corona is good beer, the reduced pricing of craft beer alone isnt going to sway them.

well I agree but its like cigarettes people are set in there ways if it goes from $35 a carton of beer to $40 a carton people will buy it then few years later it goes from $40 to $45 they think thats ok still. Guy i used to work with between him and his wife drunk 2 packs of 50 cigs and 1 carton of beer you work it out was like $20 per pack smokes and $40+ for beer thats $80 a day and $560 a week you think if they cared about money it would be a issue?

not if they're drinking that many smokes!

Back