Need A Couple Of New Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVZOOM

Reaction score
Hi All,

Short story; wife stepped on tap, whilst mounted to fermenter, whilst on the floor = dead fermenter. My other one has been going for 4 years and may need replacing soon. What's the best bang for your buck, 30L fermentor, available in North West Sydney? I had a look at Bunnings, they only had 15L jobbies. I can't get through my head that a plastic barrell should cost $40+ to buy....

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks - Mike

Mike,

I went to Bunnings the other day and noticed they had those Willow brand Jerries for $16, but they where only 20 litres. Maybe you could buy a couple of 15 litre ones??

i noticed in a mail out from *cough*brewcraft*cough* that they have a special on fermenters at the moment:

$30 fermenter pack

hth
j

i feel a little un-clean after that ...

Most Bunnings should sell a 25L barrel for under $20. Not quite as good sealing as the LHBS variety although some guys use clingwrap with them.
The Willow 20L jobs are actually 23L, and I'd love to get my hands on some for $16 - paid $24 each for a couple recently for lagering purposes. Ripped off again.

Also don't forget the Bunnings taps for less than $2, half the price of a LHBS

The Bunnings 25L water barrels are the go. They basically look like fermenters with red lids.

LOL

Those bunnings "fermenters" can have a hole drilled and airlock fitted for those of use not keen on using gladwrap. Be careful when drilling though as the plastic can be brittle so step up your holes!

Bought a couple of 60L from a local camping store for $40 odd.

The Willow 20L jobs are actually 23L, and I'd love to get my hands on some for $16 - paid $24 each for a couple recently for lagering purposes. Ripped off again.

Also don't forget the Bunnings taps for less than $2, half the price of a LHBS
Bribie thats why I bought 2 of them, damn cheap, couldn't find the taps though.

Yes, Bunnings for the 25L drums, including bung and lid/seal, about $17. Plus a tap for $1.90 I think. Ditch the red lid (because you don't want the ferment to go too fast) and use the rubber seal with clingwrap. (Don't know why you would go back to airlocks once you have actually tried clingwrap.) Total price less than $20.

Personally I'd prefer to support my LHBS.

A saving of around $10 for something you will probably use 50+ times............????

The tap, airlock, grommet etc is usually included when you get it from the LHBS anyway.

Scott

Yeah, I'm with you Jerry. I bought my last fermenter from Mark's Home Brew for $40 and I got an airlock, grommet, tap (and stick-on thermometer I think?). Pretty good price I thought and it's a decent size at 30L from memory.

Not exactly a rip-off and also supporting out the blokes who help me brew my beer!

Win-win I say.

The bunnings jobbies are the go, Big W have grommets and airlocks. I have 6 of them. I have found having all the same type of fermenter saves time when racking etc because they all have the same lids

Thanks guys - I'm 7mins away from Bunnings in Nth Parramatta and have been gladwrap'ing for a few years. Will go tomorrow and sort it out - thanks for the help.

Cheers - Mike

I don't get this thread.

If you spent $40 on your fermenter with all accessories, then what are you trying to save?

I have used 6 fermenters over 10 years. Let's say you saved $15 per fermenter, that would be max, per fermenter over that time. Which is 6 x $15 = $90. Hey that is $9 / year saving. Then add your running around / time / potential failures.

^ agreed but sometimes its convenience. Bunnings is open till 9PM weekdays and open 7 days a week and there is one 3 minutes from work and one 5 minutes from home and I drive past both on my way to and from work. Thus a bunnings fermenter is easy to grab. Nearest LHBS to work is Liquor craft they are a 15 minute drive. or nearest to home is a little HBS in frankston that I've never actually been able to find (in saying that I havent searched too hard)

Latest posts

Back