Disturbed Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seewhymit

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I will start off by stating the obvious, that I am new to homebrew. I did as much research as I could prior to buying my homebrew kit and thought I would be fine, but as probably is the case with most beginners, I need a helping hand!

I put my first batch of homebrew together this weekend (Saturday around Midday) and all was going well. I placed the fermenter in a cupboard in my kitchen and left it till the next day. It was fermenting fine, the airlock was bubbling away, but unfortunately I hadn't thought about the smell it would produce and this soon became a little overwhelming for my wife and I.

I had to move the fermenter to a secure metal box we have in our apartment car park. I carefully moved the 30L fermenter barrel down to the carpark and lifted it into the metal storage box. At this stage I topped up the airlock, but accidentally put a little too much into it. I carefully pulled off the airlock (and quickly placed my finger over the grommet/hole as I drained some of the liquid from my airlock. I then replaced it. This all occurred on Sunday arvo (around 4pm).

Since this time, it doesn't appear that the yeast is active anymore. I can no longer see the airlock bubbling away as it should/would. I am just wondering on if my moving the fermenter has killed my first batch or if one of the other factors has.

The temperature of the fermenter whilst it was in my appartment (for the first 28 hours) was at around 24*C~26*C. The temperature in the secure storage box in my garage is at around 20*C~22*C.

The beer I am trying to brew is a dry lager (similar to extra dry) and I used the following recipe;
1.7Kg Thomas Cooper Heritage Lager1.0Kg Aussie Brewmakers Head & Body250g Dextrose1 x Morgans Tea Bag Hops Cluster3g Brew Cellar Dry Enzyme15g Brew Cellar Premium Lager Yeast* Allow an extra 7 days to ferment

So my question is, have I possibly killed the brew? The change in temperature should be fine (in my beginners opinion) as the recipe says to ferment at 12*C~15*C, my understanding is that anything above that will simply cause it to ferment abit quicker. Could the moving of the fermenter (which obviously stired up the batch a little bit, no matter how hard I tried for this not to happen) have caused issues? Does it simply need to settle down for more time? Or is the fact that I had to remove the airlock the cause of my problem?

Can anyone comment on what could have caused the yeast to seeming stop? Is there anything I can do to fix?

Thanks alot for taking the time to read this long post, but I thought it best to give all information I possible could.

welcome mate.

In my opinion i reckon everything will be fine.

When you moved the fermentor it probably just knocked a bit of Co2 out of solution and there's not enough pressure to make the airlock bubble. It's still fermenting, so just leave it and it will be fine.

For next time certainly try and keep the temperature as close to recommended as possible. This will make for a better beer in the end.

Thanks for the reply and warm welcome.

I was hoping someone would say that. I can still smell the fermentation smell in the security storage box so I thought it might still be doing work. I just want to make sure that I haven't committed a big 'no no' by moving it, or the temperature change, or the short removal of airlock.

This first batch is more a 'proof of concept' than anything else. Aslong as the beer comes out drinkable I will be happy. I will use future brew's to tweak flavour and try and come up with something spectacular, as I am sure is every homebrewers dream.

I think that it's still fermenting and there is nothing to worry about. Did you move the fermenter by holding the lid? If so you might have loosened the seal on the fermenter and the C02 is releasing through the lid as opposed to the air lock. Take a gravity reading, if its still dropping its still fermenting. She'll be apples.

Oh and you should brew in the carpark metal box, much better temps there than in your kitchen.

edit: beaten

I think that it's still fermenting and there is nothing to worry about. Did you move the fermenter by holding the lid? If so you might have loosened the seal on the fermenter and the C02 is releasing through the lid as opposed to the air lock. Take a gravity reading, if it's still dropping its still fermenting. She'll be apples.

Oh and you should brew in the carpark metal box, much better temps there than in your kitchen.

edit: beaten

I lifted it from the sides of the barrel/fermenter (it has handles formed into the plastic), but I did double check the seal once I put it in.

I will take a gravity reading tonight just to be sure but yeah I am glad that both of you seem to think it will be right. First brew paranoia haha.

Yeah I will be brewing in the metal security storage box from now on. It seems like nicer temps and it keeps the wife happy and the apartment smelling good haha.

Thanks for the reply and warm welcome.

I was hoping someone would say that. I can still smell the fermentation smell in the security storage box so I thought it might still be doing work. I just want to make sure that I haven't committed a big 'no no' by moving it, or the temperature change, or the short removal of airlock.

This first batch is more a 'proof of concept' than anything else. Aslong as the beer comes out drinkable I will be happy. I will use future brew's to tweak flavour and try and come up with something spectacular, as I am sure is every homebrewers dream.

Hi mate,

To be honest i never really notice any strong brewing odours coming from my fermenters, only beery goodness! You may find that using that particular type of yeast in warmer conditions will produce what you've noticed. The lager yeast mentioned will do a good job at the recommended temperatures, though outside of that (and especially if you've been brewing in the high 20's) your final product wont be as "crisp" as you would expect a lager to be. I would recommend using a "US-05" yeast next if the temps are up....and we are heading for summer! :chug:

If your buying one of those "pre-assembled" kits from your brew shop that has the S-23 yeast i suspect your using included, the guy should happily swap it for a different strand....if your new to brewing, and good shop should probably offer anyhow.

Good luck with the brewing though I may add.....if your new to the game, a pale ale can be a more forgiving starter as hiding the flaws behind a little hops can save u donating your hard work to the lawn.

Cheers.

Hi mate,

To be honest i never really notice any strong brewing odours coming from my fermenters, only beery goodness! You may find that using that particular type of yeast in warmer conditions will produce what you've noticed. The lager yeast mentioned will do a good job at the recommended temperatures, though outside of that (and especially if you've been brewing in the high 20's) your final product wont be as "crisp" as you would expect a lager to be. I would recommend using a "US-05" yeast next if the temps are up....and we are heading for summer! :chug:

If your buying one of those "pre-assembled" kits from your brew shop that has the S-23 yeast i suspect your using included, the guy should happily swap it for a different strand....if your new to brewing, and good shop should probably offer anyhow.

Good luck with the brewing though I may add.....if your new to the game, a pale ale can be a more forgiving starter as hiding the flaws behind a little hops can save u donating your hard work to the lawn.

Cheers.

Hi Adam, thanks for the reply. I am not so much using a kit, just bought all the products mentioned on the list for the recipe from that same website (although I may aswell be using a kit). Like I mentioned this is more a proof of concept brew, and aslong as it is drinkable I will be happy.

don't expect everything to go perfectly the first time. The first time you're not making beer, you're teaching yourself how to make beer. There's a difference.

Here's an excellent quote to live by when starting out.

Here's an excellent quote to live by when starting out.

haha yeah that sums it up quite nicely.

I am just glad that I found this forum to double check with. I'm sure this forum will turn out to be a wealth of help and information for all future brewing

As everyone else has said, there shouldn't be any issue in fermentation.

As you read more here and elsewhere you'll find lots and lots of reference to fermentation temperature as one of the major keys to making good beer. You've chosen a lager recipe and lager yeast, but put them into an environment which is much more suited to an ale yeast. There's a reason those yeasts have temperature ranges on them, if you go above these you'll end up with some flavours which are not ideal in your beer. At the end of the day you'll have beer, and it'll probably pretty good, but it almost certianly would have been better if you'd chosen a yeast which works best in the at the temperature at which you're fermenting. As alcoadam said, next time go a US-05, it's a nice clean finishing ale yeast that works well in the 18-20 deg mark and will and up almost a pseudo lager style.

Congrats on the first brew, I'm sure you'll have the 2nd down in no time :)

As everyone else has said, there shouldn't be any issue in fermentation.

As you read more here and elsewhere you'll find lots and lots of reference to fermentation temperature as one of the major keys to making good beer. You've chosen a lager recipe and lager yeast, but put them into an environment which is much more suited to an ale yeast. There's a reason those yeasts have temperature ranges on them, if you go above these you'll end up with some flavours which are not ideal in your beer. At the end of the day you'll have beer, and it'll probably pretty good, but it almost certianly would have been better if you'd chosen a yeast which works best in the at the temperature at which you're fermenting. As alcoadam said, next time go a US-05, it's a nice clean finishing ale yeast that works well in the 18-20 deg mark and will and up almost a pseudo lager style.

Congrats on the first brew, I'm sure you'll have the 2nd down in no time :)

Yeah I should have checked the temps I have in my apartment/security box to see if it was suited for the yeast I bought. I thought temps were around 15*C, but that was obviously incorrect haha. awww well you live you learn.

I am already planning my second brew, hopefully mango infused/flavoured. I plan to substitute some of the sugar being put in for mango syrup/juice that has the equivalent amount of sugar that I am replacing (if that makes sense).

I am already planning my second brew, hopefully mango infused/flavoured. I plan to substitute some of the sugar being put in for mango syrup/juice that has the equivalent amount of sugar that I am replacing (if that makes sense).

Hook, line and sinker.

You have the bug!

Back