My first brew, what lager should i brew next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anno

Reaction score
Hi guys, my first brew of Lager is almost complete and i tested the SG yesterday and it was reading a perfect 1010 but it was looking a little cloudy with what looked like tiny specs of hops in it.
when i get home today i will test it again and put a pic up for some feedback but i am wanting to find out if these little spec things may be hops and as i want to continue with my lagers till i get good
at them, what should my next one be. i am ultimately trying to make a lo-carb beer like chill miller as i don't like the strong flavour of what i think is hops like you taste in VB. if anyone is understanding
what i am rambling on about i would love some responses and feedback

thanks in advance,
Anthony

SG = starting gravity
FG= final gravity.
That taste in VB = rubbish
If you want a lighter style go for an American pils which may use maize or rice as an adjunct.
Have fun.
Nev

There can be some confusion on acronyms for gravity. I've seen SG used for "Specific Gravity" (i.e. the gravity at any point in time when measured) more than "Starting Gravity". Normally Starting Gravity would be expressed as "Original Gravity", i.e. OG.

But no confusion on that taste in VB...

any idea on what the milky colour is about?
and it kinda tasted like apple. i'll post the ingredients a little later....
thanks guys

Kit brew? And what temp you ferment at. If your doing a lager you wanna ferment around the 10 to 12 deg mark. If u fermented high that may explain the apple twang taste u have.

if this is a larger you put down 3 or 4 days ago, then leave it alone, don't touch it, don't look at it and let it complete :)

Apple => Acetaldehyde

means it too young/green (see first line)

What yeast/temp etc..

normally lager issues is Diacety (pop corn/buttery aroma/taste)

If you're talking about this Coopers can, it's not a true lager and actually comes with ale yeast. Other Coopers "lager" kits actually come with a proper lager yeast which needs to be fermented at very low, controlled temperatures.

"Milky" colour would probably be yeast in suspension.

Apple taste is because the beer is too young. Give it time to mature.

mark0 said:
SG = specific gravity?
Yes !

To repeat:
OG = Original gravity
FG = Final Gravity

SG can be either of OG or FG, each of those is a Specific Gravity.
Never heard it quoted as Starting Gravity.

You'll often see beginners using SG as "starting gravity". Fairly easy mistake to make, I'd imagine and I'm pretty sure everyone usually knows what each other is talking about regardless.

bum said:
You'll often see beginners using SG as "starting gravity". Fairly easy mistake to make, I'd imagine and I'm pretty sure everyone usually knows what each other is talking about regardless.
the OP didn't use SG incorrectly, the SG talk is all OT form GB :)

:icon_offtopic: Nev, don't let the proletariat get you down. Another bonus of Pro membership is - we get to call it whatever we like.
SG - superfuckencool gravity.
cheers
BBB

bruce86 said:
Kit brew? And what temp you ferment at. If your doing a lager you wanna ferment around the 10 to 12 deg mark. If u fermented high that may explain the apple twang taste u have.
Ahh that makes sense, i just threw this first batch together and it was stuck for the first 2.5 weeks in 38*C to 46*C temps until a week ago when it got transferred to a sweet little wine fridge i picked up
which stores it at 12-14*C constantly so i am assuming that the next batch will be completely different but im still treating this one like my first born. i will post the ingredients below

Gryphon Brewing said:
Yes OG is correct but its unusual to use SG of 1.010 as a finished gravity.
Nev
He did say it was nearly finished so I thought it was pretty easy to understand.

Back