Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't pulled one down, but at a guess, for this torque I'd say the worm would be steel and the drive would be nylon. This is generally how these types of drives are made. When the torque goes up they switch to a copper drive wheel. But they usually use a soft material here to limit noise.
Try and jam a rock into rollers with the torque you say and I feel your nylon gear will fail. I think you need to fully test this product.
I appears to be a good deal and I hope it does hold up.
GB

Thanks to QLD Kev, I bought a similiar steup for my mm2, 24V bike motor from hong kong and spider coupling.Tested on the weekend by just connecting to my car battery, will add PSU next time. Ran through 5kg grain in no time. Actually got @ 4% increase in effeciency on this brew cf using drill, might be a one off, don't know. Same 0.8mm gap setting as usual. Torque wasn't an issue, plenty of grunt.

cheers
sean

By the way cost @ $100 for set up.

Thanks to QLD Kev, I bought a similiar steup for my mm2, 24V bike motor from hong kong and spider coupling.Tested on the weekend by just connecting to my car battery, will add PSU next time. Ran through 5kg grain in no time. Actually got @ 4% increase in effeciency on this brew cf using drill, might be a one off, don't know. Same 0.8mm gap setting as usual. Torque wasn't an issue, plenty of grunt.

cheers
sean

By the way cost @ $100 for set up.

I can offer the same thing. The controller is a nice feature though which is why I chose to add it rather than just having the motor go full speed all the time. People said they liked some grain to be mashed slowly and some faster.
It's all about giving people the choices at the right prices.

See QLDKev's comment above.

Yes I saw that though I thought MM2 was the usual abbreviation for a Monster Mill with 2 rollers.

edit: And just checking qldkev's website, that's what he has. An MM2 is quite easily driven compared to a Mill Master, so I'm thinking it may need everybit of the 20nm on offer.

cheers

grant

Of course it has, its proven itself in a lot of varied applications over the past 7 months, though never in a mill before. We've been selling this motor for a while now, but we could never get it cheap enough to offer it at a low enough price.

20Nm, that should run a decent sized mill. I'm running my MM2 on a 7.46Nm motor.

QldKev

Yes I saw that though I thought MM2 was the usual abbreviation for a Monster Mill with 2 rollers.

edit: And just checking qldkev's website, that's what he has. An MM2 is quite easily driven compared to a Mill Master, so I'm thinking it may need everybit of the 20nm on offer.

cheers

grant

Yep the MM2 was a reference to a Monster Mill 2 roller

Bit I think Grant's reference was more to the fact since my mm2 runs from a 7.46nm motor; so I think 20nm would run the larger Mill Master. But that is a *think* as I've never used a Mill Master.

Probably a good question does anyone run a Mill Master from a 1/2hp motor?
If so I really think the motor above would do the job.

Also I think it would be a serious motor for a MM2 or MM3.

Great work by motiondynamics for investigating out the motor after being asked about them; no affiliation, as you know I use a different motor I set up a while back.

Hope this helps

QldKev

I was under the impression that you can easily hand crank the mill masters. I've got a hand crank for my mm2 but wouldn't like to put through more than a kilo or two, so if that is the case probably don't need a high torque motor for the millmaster

Yep the MM2 was a reference to a Monster Mill 2 roller

Bit I think Grant's reference was more to the fact since my mm2 runs from a 7.46nm motor; so I think 20nm would run the larger Mill Master. But that is a *think* as I've never used a Mill Master.

That's where I was going Kev.

Though all things considered, I really don't think I'm putting 20nm of force into the handle on the mill master so I've ordered one of the specials from motiondynamics and we'll see how it turns out :icon_cheers: (and yes that was deliberate ;) ).

cheers

grant

Though all things considered, I really don't think I'm putting 20nm of force into the handle on the mill master so I've ordered one of the specials from motiondynamics and we'll see how it turns out :icon_cheers: (and yes that was deliberate ;) ).

Any thoughts on the coupling? From the drawing, I wasn't even sure of the shaft size...

Any thoughts on the coupling? From the drawing, I wasn't even sure of the shaft size...

There you go bringing details into it... ;)

I've got a Mk1 Mill master with the odd sized drive shaft. A number of guys have used spider couplers on their mills so I was thinking I might look at that option, or perhaps look at drilling a hole through the Millmaster shaft and use a split pin to fix a tube of some type between the mill and the motor. The pin would also provide a sacrificial link should something jam the mill rollers unexpectedly.

At the end of the day though I'm a brewer (loosely speaking) not a fitter, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

cheers

grant

Hi everyone,

I just want to thank all the people that have taken an interest in this product, and for all the users that offered input with professional advice freely given.
The sales for these are going off the chart, and because I build the controllers by hand It's really putting a lot of pressure on me to get these done in a timely fashion.

The really funny thing is, It's now blown out to different forums, and I have bread makers buying them up for wheat grinding, fishermen buying them for the grinders to make the burly and other people buying them for their particular hobbies and needs!

The feedback and responses I am getting for the budget pricing is absolutely fantastic and makes all the hard work worthwhile!

I can't wait to see how you all hook these up and seeing some results!

Scepticism in the beginning is expected. It is good you weathered through all that with a thick skin and now have a chance to let the product speak for itself in the market and if great let others sell it through word-of-mouth for you.

Wish you all the best with the motor and hope to see anything else you get inspired to bring to the hobby.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Hi John ,

Looks the goods. I'm a sparky and have pointed a fitter from work your way. He's after a couple of motors for a kids car setup. Couldn't have been better timed.

MB

Well I took a punt and ordered the motor. It arrived yesterday as advertised, thumbs up for the fast service.

Eager to see if it has the grunt to drive the Mill Master I attempted a quick and dirty fit. Bored a hole in the drive spindle on the mill and coupled to the motor with a split pin hooked up the motor to a 12v battery charger, poured a couple of hundred grams of various grains plus some torriefied wheat into the hopper and flicked the switch.

It chugged manfully for a little while before jamming. I flicked the power off, gave the hopper a shake and switched back on. Again it chewed for a short while before jamming, this time shearing the split pin. :eek:

There's quite a bit of play in the couple I devised and the motor would move around a bit as the grain fed through. It ran fine when I slowly poured the grain into the hopper though so I will look at improving the alignment of the motor and drive spindle and sort out a less sloppy coupler and bolt the motor down firmly. I'm thinking the slop and movement is creating inefficiency. Also the battery charger is only 6amp so that may also be a factor.

Any ideas?

cheers

Grant

I use a 24V worm drive electric wheelchair motor coupled to my home-made mill which is powered off an old Evac Controller 24V PSU. My PSU struggles with the load and goes into protection mode if I fill the hopper too quickly. This shortcoming has probably saved my cheap Jaycar Spider coupler and eventually when I upgrade the supply I will go for a Lovejoy coupler
Grant I think your PSU is your weakest link too. A quick and dirty test is to borrow your car battery and see what the outcome is once you improve the split pin coupling :)
Many thanks to Motiondynamics for your contribution to our obsession and if I didn't have my motor already I would be first in line for what is a simple and cheap solution.
Cheers
Doug

Well I took a punt and ordered the motor. It arrived yesterday as advertised, thumbs up for the fast service.

Eager to see if it has the grunt to drive the Mill Master I attempted a quick and dirty fit. Bored a hole in the drive spindle on the mill and coupled to the motor with a split pin hooked up the motor to a 12v battery charger, poured a couple of hundred grams of various grains plus some torriefied wheat into the hopper and flicked the switch.

It chugged manfully for a little while before jamming. I flicked the power off, gave the hopper a shake and switched back on. Again it chewed for a short while before jamming, this time shearing the split pin. :eek:

There's quite a bit of play in the couple I devised and the motor would move around a bit as the grain fed through. It ran fine when I slowly poured the grain into the hopper though so I will look at improving the alignment of the motor and drive spindle and sort out a less sloppy coupler and bolt the motor down firmly. I'm thinking the slop and movement is creating inefficiency. Also the battery charger is only 6amp so that may also be a factor.

Any ideas?

cheers

Grant

Any ideas?

cheers

Grant
I would suggest that running a 6 Amp charger to power a motor which is stated to require 16 Amp is your issue.

Best case, the circuitry inside your charger limits the current and cuts off power to the motor if it tries to draw more than 6 Amp (hence it stops if it hits the built in limit). Worst case (as with many cheap imported power supplies), you will burn a fuse or end up with a puff of smoke and a burnt silicone smell at your house soon and you will have to get a new charger.

While an underpowered PSU is fine to test to see if the motor spins up, it is not good if you try to see if you can crush grains with it. Buy a power supply which fits the minimum requirements and you will be able to crush the hardest wheat grain without any issues.

I got my unit within one day - Absolutely great service and super fast delivery. I haven't hooked it up. While I bought it for a Crankenstein 3D, however it is quite powerful, I am almost tempted to see if it can work with a Crankenstein 328D which has larger and longer rollers.

I am thinking of getting a second set to stir the mash as this looks like a very well designed unit.

Cheers

Roller

Latest posts

Back