Measuring Mash Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melinda

Reaction score
G'day Men,
I have a grain bill that includes 2.7kg of flaked maize. Do I include that when calculating the amount of water to mash with? I'm not sure if it absorbs water or not!
One other thing. What is the best way to add polyclar to my brew and how do I do it?
Many thanks,
Cadbury

I would assume the adjunct will absorb some water. I can't tell you the rates though.

As for polyclar - crash chill. If you normally fine, fine and leave for 24 - 48 hours. Dissolve polyclar in boiled water that's been cooled to warmed. Add to brew, let sit cold for another 24 - 48 hours (or more). I used to add gelatine and polyclar at the same time but advice from more experienced brewers suggested doing it the above way. The results speak for themselves.

If your beer is clear at those cold temps, you don't need it.

G'day Men,
I have a grain bill that includes 2.7kg of flaked maize. Do I include that when calculating the amount of water to mash with? I'm not sure if it absorbs water or not!
One other thing. What is the best way to add polyclar to my brew and how do I do it?
Many thanks,
Cadbury

Cook it (search cereal mash) first, add including absorbed water to the mash, mash in first at your l/kg ratio excluding the weight of maize.

If using polenta you can cook it or just add it to the grist bill and use your normal liquor to grist ratio.

Screwy

G'day Men,
Many thanks,
Cadbury

hi mate,

as described to me by a very experienced brewer; mix just shy of 2 tablespoons of polyclar in around a cup of the fermented beer u have just kegged (taken from fermenter), mix well and add to the keg. seal keg, burp, bring as close to zero as possible (my frig is like 2-4deg) for 24hrs then filter - i just do it the next day which is usually 24hrs give or take an hr or 2, then gas. i have always done this so i cant compare it to anything else but it works great for me. but i have just read manticles description (who i respect very much) and its quite a bit different to my way so i'm a bit concerned :icon_cheers: . but i guess whatever works for u

cheers
matt

You can be a bit relaxed about your polyclar - it will work pretty much any old way. Sprinkle it on top of your fermenter, put it in your keg, hydrate it first, don't, add it to cold beer, add it to warm beer... doesn't really matter. If you give it 24 hours to work, it will work regardless. If you want to add it just before filtering... then you need to be a bit more fussy about hydrating it properly etc etc.

Adding it to beer with much yeast in suspension will reduce its effectiveness though, thus manticle's advice to fine your beer before adding the polyclar - or you can just use more polyclar.

Cook it (search cereal mash) first, add including absorbed water to the mash, mash in first at your l/kg ratio excluding the weight of maize.

If using polenta you can cook it or just add it to the grist bill and use your normal liquor to grist ratio.

Screwy

if you are cooking it to gelatanise it, don't bother, just throuw it in with the grain, flaked maise or oats is already gelatanised when it is processed through hot rollers.

Latest posts

Back