Should I add chemicals to top-up water?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckilner

Reaction score
I brew with a Braumeister 50 and use reverse osmosis water. My recipes are generated by Beersmith which also makes the water adjustment calculations for me. I like to brew large batches to go into my 1/2bbl fermenter which don't fit in the Braumeister. What I tend to do is brew, sparge and then top up with water into the fermenter to make up the desired volume. What I can never decide on though is whether I should add chemicals to the top-up water.
I add chemicals and acid to the mash. I add chemicals to the sparge but should I add chemicals to the top-up water? 🤔

Thoughts welcome please.

Maybe!

Really that’s often the answer to brewing questions. The amount of some salts plays a big role in the flavour of the finished beer. Good example being the amount of Sulphate in a Newcastle brown ale.
All salt additional are a range, if the amount you use in the brew is high enough to give you the desired amount after dilution, then probably not necessary. Obviously if after dilution you don’t have your target concentration then it would be a yes.
The pH likewise, if your beer isnt finishing at target then tweeking it can make a big difference.
Probably has a lot to do with just how much you are diluting your wort.
Mark

I've just started all grain brewing, the chemicals part is a bit of a mystery to me.

Do I need to check my local water supplier for the composition?

Edit: Found it

Measurement ResultCompliant
Aluminium Aluminium <0.01 mg/L
Compliant
Dichloroacetic acid Dichloroacetic acid 0.006 mg/L
Compliant
Ecoli Ecoli 100.0%*
Compliant
Mono chloroacetic acid Mono chloroacetic acid <0.005 mg/L
Compliant
Trichloroacetic acid Trichloroacetic acid 0.013 mg/L
Compliant