Mashing Overnight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross said:
Not so much the kettle, as the fittings that come off it, that are not subjected to the boil. Also makes sure that no cocky's or mud wasps have plugged up any of the pipes :unsure: . Nearly didn't bother this time, as I've just knocked up a "Jamil" style wort recirculator/whirlpooler to a small DC march pump, was just going to run this for 10 mins at end of boil, lucky heh :) ...
[post="126771"][/post]​

Ah! With you now. :)

Warren -

TL
My divorce potential derives more from splashing sticky wort up kitchen walls & floors as happened on Sat. with a fairly full-on partial mash.
I rarely do more than a 12L All grain & use a 20L SS pot for these & my partials.
Next time I'm going to try bringing the mash up from 0 to 68deg.
Will let you know what happens.
Jim

Hey,
I would be interested to hear from anyone who noticed anything stramge after mashing for 12 hours or more!
I have done quite a few overnights with varied success. What I did notice with extending the time between mash-in and sparge were what could be described as "increases in maltiness" during the boil.
I boil downstairs and the smell from the boil is able to permeate throughout the house and is smelled by all occupants. One (the last) 12 hour mash created quite an interesting smell, although I wouldn't describe it as "off" but more malty. The more that I smelled it in the house the more I recognised it as butyric acid. Am I alone in this experience?

cheers
Darren

Ross said:
I might be forced into a boil tomorrow (still hoping for tonight).

Mashed in at 7am - ran some non-rinse through my kettle to sterilise & SHOCK, HORROR, drip, drip, drip, from under the kettle. Took me 2hrs to dismantle the frame work (mine works on a hoist mechanism), to discover the brass fitting in the bottom of the kettle which had been silver soldered to the S/S kettle had given way :( . The kettle is now at a S/S fabricating shop, having the brass fitting exchanged for S/S & welded properly - Guess I'm lucky I discovered before the wort went in. Looks like being a minimum 12hr mash & possibly 24hr.

S**t happens...

Cheers Ross
[post="126763"][/post]​

Ah I thought I recognised the kettle when I dropped into a mates workshop this afternoon. And we were talking about the local home brewers and all.

Derrick

Bobby said:
mmmm.....butyric acid ;)
[post="126847"][/post]​

Actually it wasn't "off" smelling. BTW it persisted through the boil and ferment aging. Ie it never went away. Smelled better in the boil than tasted in the bottle

Ross said:

Mashed in at 7am - ran some non-rinse through my kettle to sterilise & SHOCK, HORROR, drip, drip, drip, from under the kettle. Took me 2hrs to dismantle the frame work (mine works on a hoist mechanism), to discover the brass fitting in the bottom of the kettle which had been silver soldered to the S/S kettle had given way :( . The kettle is now at a S/S fabricating shop, having the brass fitting exchanged for S/S & welded properly - Guess I'm lucky I discovered before the wort went in. Looks like being a minimum 12hr mash & possibly 24hr.

S**t happens...

Cheers Ross
[post="126763"][/post]​

Well, just had my worst sparge ever, like Brisbane mud water, we have just come to the boil, working by torchlight & surrounded by flying bugs - Going to gladwrap the kettle after flame out & do the no chill method overnight, hopefully it'll be cool by morning as I've another brew to put down.
Been my worst brew day ever... :(

Hope the beers not my best, I'd never be able to replicate it :)

Cheers Ross

Ross said:
Ross said:

S**t happens...

Cheers Ross
[post="126763"][/post]​

Well, just had my worst sparge ever, like Brisbane mud water, we have just come to the boil, working by torchlight & surrounded by flying bugs - Going to gladwrap the kettle after flame out & do the no chill method overnight, hopefully it'll be cool by morning as I've another brew to put down.
Been my worst brew day ever... :(

Cheers Ross
[post="126851"][/post]​

How does the boil smell Ross? Any different?

cheers
Darren

Sorry hear Ross, now to gloat :( I mashed out today after 16 hours [4 more than expected :( ] and boiled what looks a great brew [looks ,smells and tasted great] and easy as :) refrac read 18 another bigish beer and a no chill as well, pitch sometime tomorrow or the day after.
Got to have an easy one sometime,hey?

Darren said:
How does the boil smell Ross? Any different?

cheers
Darren
[post="126855"][/post]​

The wort tasted the same, The smell i couldn't tell as the keg got marked with paint (off inside of my boot) during my travels & this was burning off during the boil...
As I said - not a good day...

Cheers Ross

Finally finished,

Glad wrapped the kettle & sprayed water around the outside to cool things down a bit - Unfortunately my kettle is insulated, So I may still have 70c wort in the morning :( - Here's hoping not...

Cheers Ross

Never mind Ross, these things build character ;) BTW, does a cloudy wort have any effect on the final product ? The way I see it the wort gets all clouded up by the microscopic hop particles floating around in it and the cloudiness eventually settles out in the fermenter right?

cheers

Browndog

browndog said:
Never mind Ross, these things build character ;) BTW, does a cloudy wort have any effect on the final product ? The way I see it the wort gets all clouded up by the microscopic hop particles floating around in it and the cloudiness eventually settles out in the fermenter right?

cheers

Browndog
[post="126898"][/post]​

I've found it makes no difference at all - The sample i drew from todays brew has cleared beautifully upon chilling.

Cheers Ross

Ross said:

S**t happens...

Cheers Ross
[post="126763"][/post]​

:eek: Will your stock hold out till it gets fixed Ross? :)

Pumpy

Ross said:

Cheers Ross
[post="126851"][/post]​

These sorts of brews have a habit of being absolute crackers though - any brew that I have thought I had totally stuffed up have turned out beautifully. Its always the way!

Ross said:
Finally finished,

Glad wrapped the kettle & sprayed water around the outside to cool things down a bit - Unfortunately my kettle is insulated, So I may still have 70c wort in the morning :( - Here's hoping not...

Cheers Ross
[post="126895"][/post]​

Morning Ross,
i find if i rack my hot wort to cubes and leave them outside on the concrete over night, they are at 18*C in the morning ready for pitching. Might save gladwrapping and hosing your insulated kettle (just quitely, why is your kettle insulated..??).

What are you going to name the beer... something along the lines of a problem child may suit..?!?!

KoNG said:
Morning Ross,
i find if i rack my hot wort to cubes and leave them outside on the concrete over night, they are at 18*C in the morning ready for pitching. Might save gladwrapping and hosing your insulated kettle (just quitely, why is your kettle insulated..??).

What are you going to name the beer... something along the lines of a problem child may suit..?!?!
[post="126957"][/post]​

Kong,

Was still at 42c this morning, transferred to fermenter & in the freezer chilling.
There were to many bugs flying round the light & bombarding the kettle, I just wanted to get it sealed pronto & call it a day, also i didn't have a sterilised cube available at the time. The kettle was insulated when I got it, certainly doesn't take much flame to keep it on a nice rolling boil, so guess it serves a purpose.
As for a name, I'll have to give some thought :) ...

Cheers Ross

Ok so there are a lot of oppinions and bla bla bla about this subject......I wonder howmany posters have actually done an overnight mash, and how many are recanting information from other web sites?

I have done many overnighters, and have had a huge sucess with it. The only time i have problems is when mashing wheat overnight, not a good thing, it goes very sour very quick.
How i do it

1. MAsh in , Its been suggested that an initial acid rest is good, but im not to sure it makes any differance?. But i make sure i mash in with a 3:1 ratio, and fill the bulk of the tun with rice hulls.

2. In the morning, I run off the wort, bring it to 85 deg c and return it to the mash tun, then fly sparge
ITs very easy, and never realy had a problem
A few people have wondered about boiling the runoff and denaturing the enzimes?...there is no differance between doing it in the morning than when you mash out when you normally would. the reason for raising the temp is to make the wort more viscose, as i think some one allready said.

Ozbrewer or others - have you always had issues with wheat mashes overnight? I'm thinking approx. 6-8 hours 50/50 wheat/pilsener malt.

Cheer
Fish

Latest posts

Back