Mash Out & Low Eff.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stew.w

Reaction score
Hey all,
ive done three ag brews so far, they have all turned out really nice, much better than kits or partials ive done but my efficiency sucks balls.
my first 2 brews i got 65% and the last one im not sure because i smashed the hydrometer as i went to use it.
what is a mash out?
what ive been doing so far is:
putting grain and water in mash tun @ 66C for an hour (have checked thermo accuracy by also using a digi therm)
drain the water out. (mash tun is an ice box so it hold temp well)
add more water @ 80C and stir then leave for 10 mins and drain
then add more water @ 80C and stir then leave for 10 mins and drain
then boil for an hour with hop additions etc.
what am i doing wrong?
how can i improve the eff?

Cheers,

Stewart

65% overall efficiency (grain to fermenter) is nothing to sneeze at. Whatefficiency figure are you quoting?
Too many things to list affect efficiency. For example, the crush, your manifold, grain quality, etc.

thanks tony, think i may be draining it too quickly maybe after reading that.
but what is a mash out?

Stewart

So long as you don't give me a man tickle :lol:

Screwy
Ha ha Classic Screwy. But i do think the search engine is hard to use effectively. Although I am not a long termer on here I do find it hard to find the info I require, I am a persistant prick though and can usually find the info if not i make it up :icon_cheers:

Brad

I think he meant general search engine. Aussiehomebrewer SE wouldn't have brought up that palmer link but google would in a flash.

The reason Screwy gets a cuddle is because he's probably seen and answered that question about 8 million times and despite the frustration of it, he still makes an effort to answer it. Champion effort and deserving of cuddles.

I think he meant general search engine. Aussiehomebrewer SE wouldn't have brought up that palmer link but google would in a flash.

The rason Screwy gets a cuddle is because he's probably seen and answered that question about 8 million times and despite the frustration of it, he still makes an effort to answer it. Champion effort and deserving of cuddles.

Yep agree 100%. Google a question such as What is mash out and you get good information. Just verify it on here! With brewers like Screwy. I don't think I'd cuddle him though :huh:

Latest posts

Back