Mash Master Mill Master Mini mill Bulk Buy.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old mill uses a truck w/w motor I used a power supply to run it no probs
It’s a bit slow 60 rpm but never checked it
Will be using something quicker on my new mill at least 180 rpm

Do you hook it up to car battery or power supply?
Think I might have visit the local wrecker.
Just to a spare battery at the moment with plans of a power supply after some electrical testing to work out the current draw for an appropriate switchmode power supply.

My old mill uses a truck w/w motor I used a power supply to run it no probs
It’s a bit slow 60 rpm but never checked it
Will be using something quicker on my new mill at least 180 rpm

If you ran it on 36* Volts it would probably do fine as long as the mill doesn't get jammed.

Most DC motors have a linear speed / voltage characteristic and an equally linear current / torque characteristic.

This means that you can increase the speed by simply increasing the voltage. If the torque requirement is low enough the motor will simply speed up and the back EMF will mean that the windings aren't overheated. If the torque requirement exceeds* 1/3 the rated running torque all bets are off.

* For a 12V motor. Trucks are often 24 V, in which case use 72 V.

** This has been simplified for clarity and only applies if you are running the motor at 3 x rated voltage. The actual requirement is that

(Vf - EMF) * Iload < Pmax.

If you ran it on 36* Volts it would probably do fine as long as the mill doesn't get jammed.

Most DC motors have a linear speed / voltage characteristic and an equally linear current / torque characteristic.

This means that you can increase the speed by simply increasing the voltage. If the torque requirement is low enough the motor will simply speed up and the back EMF will mean that the windings aren't overheated. If the torque requirement exceeds* 1/3 the rated running torque all bets are off.

* For a 12V motor. Trucks are often 24 V, in which case use 72 V.

** This has been simplified for clarity and only applies if you are running the motor at 3 x rated voltage. The actual requirement is that

(Vf - EMF) * Iload < Pmax.

Shit my head hurts from the flu & the above
So Ill need 80 volt power supply DC
The faster it goes the more back emf so less current & also less torque
You have awakened my puny brain cheers I might have to give it a go

Got mine on Monday but only opened it today. Just about wet myself, it’s a lovely bit of kit! Can’t wait to put some grain through it. Thanks for the BB @malt junkie and @Mothballs! Awesome effort!

Question, I’m a biab brewer so what gap would you set with this mill?
I originally had my MM set to the width of a credit card but found it a touch too fine for BIAB, so increased the gap by a fly shit. I'd start off at the credit card width and go from there. Sorry I can't be more precise but I'm not one for precise measurements. Had mine for 6 odd months now. It's the only mill I've ever owned, but very happy with it.

First brew with the MM last night, threw a couple handfulls in to start so I could see what the myki sized gap would do (cheers Mardoo). Looked at it in the bucket and thought it looked way too fine, but a proper check with the hands turns up practically zero flour and the grains are basically obliterated?! Very impressive.

Big thanks again to MJ and Mothballs. :cheers:

So ran mine for an Irish red BIAB. Set the gap to 0.9 with feeler gauges. Much better crush than the old knurled roller. Nowhere near as many shredded grains Think I might have picked up a few points eff as well but time will tell. Used a drill to power it.

I originally had my MM set to the width of a credit card but found it a touch too fine for BIAB, so increased the gap by a fly shit. I'd start off at the credit card width and go from there. Sorry I can't be more precise but I'm not one for precise measurements. Had mine for 6 odd months now. It's the only mill I've ever owned, but very happy with it.
Thanks for that, I've been twiddling the dials and seeing what they do, but unsure how to set a good gap.

BTW the 4 top and 4 bottom holes for attaching hopper and attach to a board or whatever are 1/4 inch imperial, took one into Bunnings.
The 1/4 inchers I bought are very slightly on the wobble so I guess the thread isn't exactly identical, but they fit just fine and will be ok for the purposes once 4 of them are bolted home with washers.

Done and dusted. I bought a jigsaw, cut out a rectangle in a board I've been using for years to clamp my Marga to, then drilled in from below and bolted the mill on using the 1/4 inch bolts.
So the mill just dumps the grist into whatever I rest it on, in this case my normal collecting bowl.

There's the option to incorporate it as the top of a cabinet or something but I'll just leave as is, sweet.
So I put 4k of Grain in, turned her on and I still can't believe the speed. The crush looks spectacular as well, doughing in shortly.
Best brewing purchase I've made in years.
minimill.jpg

Looks great Bribie.

Just curious if people are giving them a clean up prior to use and if so how and with what? Assume a brush with some sodium perc would do the job?

I’ve got that mixer, how did you actually attach it to the mill rollers?

Done and dusted. I bought a jigsaw, cut out a rectangle in a board I've been using for years to clamp my Marga to, then drilled in from below and bolted the mill on using the 1/4 inch bolts.
So the mill just dumps the grist into whatever I rest it on, in this case my normal collecting bowl.

There's the option to incorporate it as the top of a cabinet or something but I'll just leave as is, sweet.
So I put 4k of Grain in, turned her on and I still can't believe the speed. The crush looks spectacular as well, doughing in shortly.
View attachment 109859

I plan to take mine and run it outside, and once done just give it a blast of air from the compressor to clean it all down before bringing back in.

View attachment 109859

Just looked up that drill Bribie which has a top speed of 550 rpm
How do you go with it trigger a bit slower ?

I use the same as my mill motor. The trigger lock has a clicking dial. Just dial the speed as low as will keep churning. The low speed avoids stripping and destroying the husk

Latest posts

Back