Mash Master Mill Master Mini mill Bulk Buy.

Discussion in 'Bulk Buys' started by malt junkie, 3/10/17.

1. peteru

Here, taste this!

Posted 3/12/17
    Now that I think about the geometry a bit more, just turning the mill upside down should do it. You will need to move the drill to line up with the shaft, but at least you can still use the triangular end of the shaft.

2. Mardoo

Noob What Craps On A Bit

Posted 3/12/17
    Yep, that’s what I did with mine, just flipped it over so the top side became the bottom. Since Mashmaster themselves recommend flipping the mill should your flutes ever dull, I don’t think there’s any issue at all with doing so.

pcqypcqy likes this.
  3. breaky

Home Page:
    Posted 3/12/17
    I spoke to Frank at Mashmaster about this problem with using a drill and here is his reply. After turning the unit over "you can flip the end plate and swap the gear guard over and then you should be able to use the lock button and with the gear guard in place.

I do not recommend use of lock button unless you have wired the drill to a daft switch. I had a choice of setting the mill up for 1/2 shaft for motors on couplings using an industry standard shaft rotation direction I chose that over the drill drive as all drills have reverse".

Kind Regards

Frank Hemeter
    MashMaster.com

Cheers
    Breaky

Last edited: 4/12/17
    pcqypcqy likes this.
  4. EalingDrop

Posted 4/12/17
    Good post, would be helpful for those about to set theirs up.

Explains why the MM logo was upside down in some setups.

I had already set mine up before this post, but it works fine in reverse on the Ozito. I don't use the Lock-On anyway as 6kg ish grain takes a couple of minutes.

20171118_183546-1612x1209.jpg 20171118_191814-1209x1612.jpg MMplusfoodpail.jpg

5. malt junkie

Posted 4/12/17
    I don't know, my Ozito spade bit drill (pictured earlier) runs pretty smoothly in reverse and the trigger locks, maybe I got a broken one?

6. peteru

Here, taste this!

Posted 5/12/17
    Both myself and @pyroboy have had issues with the Ozito not being happy going backwards. We both purchased our drills from the same Bunnings store and they were probably from the same batch. Maybe there are some differences between batches. Mine is stamped with a 17/02 date code.

The problem with going in reverse is at low speeds and especially with the startup. If you crank up the speed or pull the trigger fast it's fine. Trying to get the drill to start turning slowly is easy in forward mode, but hard in reverse.

7. Coldspace

Posted 5/12/17
    Such a beautiful crush :)

8. EalingDrop

Posted 5/12/17
    Gotto love Google Image. I bought some test grain and adjusted till it 'looked right'.
    The result was an increased of 7% efficiency, which meant I had to water the wort down to keep it within style. Ended with 32L into the fermenter so the holidays are sorted.

9. Coldspace

Posted 6/12/17
    Yep, I've noticed a marked improvement in efficiency in the past year since using this mill. Between 5 and10% over my old mill or shop milled grains.
    The eff also stays fairly consistent now as well.

Plus my sparges are gold, especially cramming in 9 kgs of grain into my grain fathers each time.

Love this mill...

10. peteru

Here, taste this!

Posted 6/12/17
    What gap size do you guys have? I used my new mill for the first time this weekend and my efficiency was a little less than with my old mill. Sparge was a bit on the fast side as well, so that tells me I can crush finer. Would be interested in a number that I can use for next brew day and then I can tweak from there.

11. Mardoo

Noob What Craps On A Bit

Posted 6/12/17
    Lacking feeler gauges I did credit card thickness minus one notch on the adjustment wheel. Well, Myki card, for Melbournistas.

Regarding sparge speed I just choke at the outlet valve. If I opened the valve all the way my mashtun would get a case of the runs. Offs.

akx and Stubbie like this.