Marks Home Brew confirmed to stay open then sold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe, in the past Mark would of done a bulk buy, I certainly used to buy the odd 25kg bag from him years ago, but I doubt under the current financial stress he is under that he would be interested in selling bulk grain for even less profit than usual.
I understand you said "that would give him a profit and the locals a fair price", but IMO Marks malt has always been the cheapest anywhere in Australia. I think after Easter when he gets going again he just needs us to use Brewbuilder and make lots of orders. That’s my opinion anyway. I won’t be doing any more bulk buys....unless Mark shuts down for good.
I just love the fact I can click a button and pick up the entire recipe, cracked and ready to brew with.

I'm doing my best to convince SWMBO to approve the purchase of a Braumeister from Mark. Purely to help him out you understand.... :ph34r:

Admins/moderators, maybe it would be a good idea to change the name of this thread to something that more accurately reflects the situation. I think it could be damaging to the business in question if too many people just read the headline, assume its the case and take their business elsewhere.

Just a thought.

Happy to change it if there are no objections?

"Mark's Home Brew confirmed to stay open" OK?

I hope Mark is following this thread, as I get very nervous talking about him or his business without him present.

I'd be down for a BB via Mark.. Especially those fancy pants stainless FVs he had..

OT - why don't I get emails/invitations from Hunter Brewers anymore?

Picked up an order from him yesterday. He has got some malt in and had a big pile of orders to get through.

Hey MHB if you get round to this thread again, are you getting in some MEU malt? You mentioned that you hadn't got the hopper / weighing system reassembled at the new place yet, any chance of JW or BB otherwise? Need some Aussie base.

He had some Aussie Pale yesterday when I picked up my order. Shop was looking a lot like the old one.

Thanks Gene I'll hit him up on Tuesday and see if I can get some sent up. He can do a sack on Fastway for $10 to Taree area, so you'd be in that zone as well.

As much as cheap postage is handy, I work 10 min from his shop, so can pick it up.

Also.. I use BB for my brews and have MHB mill it all for me. TONS easier and saves time come brew day.

Great news to see Mark will continue in business.
Moved into our new house at Corlette in Port Stephens yesterday.
I'm seriously in need of stocking up on my supplies which were run down to almost nothing pending our move.
Will call in on Mark soon to stock up again very soon. Then I need to reassemble my brewery once all the packing boxes' contents and other crud is distributed to their rightful place in the home and I have some space in the garage.

warra48 said:
Great news to see Mark will continue in business.
Moved into our new house at Corlette in Port Stephens yesterday.
I'm seriously in need of stocking up on my supplies which were run down to almost nothing pending our move.
Will call in on Mark soon to stock up again very soon. Then I need to reassemble my brewery once all the packing boxes' contents and other crud is distributed to their rightful place in the home and I have some space in the garage.
You lucky bugger, just down the road from Murrays!

I saw Mark yesterday and he is doing his best to get through a very difficult period.

What he really needs now is all of our support. He has carried across a lot of debts from the old shop and it is making it hard to keep on his feet.

So
  • Get the orders flowing again. Start spending money in his shop
  • My idea is if we all add some extra cash to each order asking nothing in return, he may be able to clear the old debts.
  • Therefore, for the next few orders, if its $50.00, give him another $50.00. If you can't do this, give him what you can.
  • If we all do this, it may just get him back on his feet and keep the shop open .
Mark knows nothing of my idea but his shop is unique, he's a great bloke and a great resource to all of us. I'd be interested to see what others think but I'm going to do it anyway.

DG

Keen to get some orders flowing.

Keep the communication open :)

We are all keen to support you if we can. My shop is doing it tough, can barely make rent at the moment, but it'll improve for all of us.

Only Mark will know what the situation is, whether it is worth keeping open or going under, and it would be selfish for those expecting him to stay afloat for the simple reason of their own supplies.
Business is tough for all retail, if he isn't making money then he must close, no use working long hours and with the financial worries that go with it, he has to ask himself is it really worth it to keep going. He seems to me to be an intelligent man and there are plenty of opportunities out there where he could probably make more money than he is at present.
I say good luck to him whichever way he decides to go.

Was sitting at my local talking to the owners about opening the kitchen over easter...to them it was a no brainer..

Pay 5 staff minimum $50/hr for a 4hr shift..

Get 20 people ordering $13 specials.

Business is business...you cant stay open for X amount of loyal customers.

Latest posts

Back