Manifolds

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is where manifold design comes into play, Boots...

If you use a manifold (I like Big D's design with a braided outer!) with slots or holes on the underside of the manifold, the syphon effect kicks in and allows you to collect the sweet wort until air enters the manifold slots and breaks the syphon. I believe this is one powerful argument in favour of slots under the manifold instead of slots on the upper side of the manifold - oh, and the potential to suck in grain particles has something to do with that too!

I had a design issue that screwed my extraction volume, because I was using a braided hose between the manifold and nipple - I wanted as much surface area in the mash tun to extract wort as possible, but forgot about the air breaking the syphon in the braided hose. 1/2" copper tubing or SS pipe will fix all that and eliminate the potential problem of having a manifold that sits below the valve!

The issue of pellet hops in the kettle often gets resolved via either whirlpooling, using flowers, or going the whole hog and buying a SS kettle screen...

Cheers,
TL

Latest posts

Back