Malt Prices To Rise?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think it will have an effect or not?
Not time to panic just yet - the reason its getting a lot of news is the rapid rise in the last month from recent lows - and its $100/day price swings

Here's a 1.5 year Sep 10 wheat futures contract price.

Sep_Wheat_contract.JPG

If I was producing gigalitres of beer a year I'd be worried. All these "shortages" will at most add a cent or two to a glass of my brew.

I reckon I will cope.

Me too, rice prices have dropped and sugaz are always cheap :ph34r:
Didn't Troydo make a potato beer a couple of years ago?

ah! the msm, dont know their wheat from their barley i fail to see how wheat prices will affect malting barley prices overall so not to much damage to us unless you are brewing a lot of wits or weizens.

ah! the msm, dont know their wheat from their barley i fail to see how wheat prices will affect malting barley prices overall so not to much damage to us unless you are brewing a lot of wits or weizens.

Weizens are better without any wheat in them anyway. ;) All-barley weizen FTW!

Malt prices are likely to rise with Russia not exporting this year.
Do you think it will have an effect or not?
Just another miss guided chicken little, the sky is falling media hysteria cods wallop article. NFI...!!!!! stopped listening to Peter and his wolf stories a long time ago...

Should of headlined it as Media gives Megaswill manufactures another excuse to put there prices up!!!!!!

Perhaps the government should force the breweries put this warning on all their product too:
Warning: This bottle content of this bottle traces of Barley.......
or
Warning: The use of the words "Premium, Low Carb, and Great Tasting" on this label, maybe misleading in every sense.

I'm confused. Wheat crops in Russia are suffering so that will affect malt prices how? I know the article mentions 'other grains' and I know some wheat is used in some beers but even if it's not a beat up, it's badly expressed.

If malt prices go up I'll still make beer.

If hop prices go up, I'll still make beer.

If yeast prices go up I'll still make beer.

If gas prices go up, I'll still make beer.

If electricity prices go up, I'll still make beer.

If tony abbot wins the election (please god no) I'll still make beer.

I'm confused. Wheat crops in Russia are suffering so that will affect malt prices how? I know the article mentions 'other grains' and I know some wheat is used in some beers but even if it's not a beat up, it's badly expressed.

If malt prices go up I'll still make beer.

If hop prices go up, I'll still make beer.

If yeast prices go up I'll still make beer.

If gas prices go up, I'll still make beer.

If electricity prices go up, I'll still make beer.

If tony abbot wins the election (please god no) I'll still make beer.

flame suit on... it's all about suppliers driving the price up; so they can make better profits.

QldKev

You are joking right.
Please tell me you are not serious.

O ... M ... G! ;)

Sometimes I make beer using 3068 and no wheat (and lots of melanoiden) and 25IBU of fruity hops, lots of it late in the boil. No big deal - try it sometime. It's freakin' delicious.

No Reinheitsgebot on my side of The Wall.

O ... M ... G! ;)

Sometimes I make beer using 3068 and no wheat (and lots of melanoiden) and 25IBU of fruity hops, lots of it late in the boil. No big deal - try it sometime. It's freakin' delicious.

What you are brewing has no weizen what so ever. You are just using hefe suitable for weizen.

O ... M ... G! ;)

I don't think anyone cares about the purity of it Nick -it's quite possibly a great beer but it's not a weizen. You wouldn't call a stew you made with no lamb in it 'lamb stew' would you?

You wouldn't call a stew you made with no lamb in it 'lamb stew' would you?

What's the primary taste in a lamb stew? Lamb.

What's the primary taste in a Hefeweizen? Yeast esters and phenolics, not wheat.

IMO, it's a crime against beer that people think they MUST use wheat when using "German Wheat Beer" yeasts. I've made a 100% wheat weizen ... and for me the beer gets worse as soon as the wheat proportion gets over 50% of the grain bill. My preference is for about 30% wheat in "weizens", and that's more for improvement in body.

Anyway - when the price of wheat rises you'll all have to try a no-wheat weizen. :p From now on I will call them "hefes" so the purists don't get their panties up their crack.

Ironically, I'm mashing a Belgian Blonde right now with 66% wheat malt in it. But it's not going to taste like much except hops, hops and more hops. But I want that thick creamy head.

What's the primary taste in a Hefeweizen? Yeast esters and phenolics, not wheat.
Hefe is german for yeast Nick, you fat **** - so of course the answer is not going to be wheat... Damn you dumb

Edit - I'm a few beers into my case swap - making an Irish Red - Nick is not so bad - I don't care what arse bum says....

Latest posts

Back