Coopers extracts tin dates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dryflyg

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m a fairly new extract brewer. Just bought 4 tins of coopers extracts online and I’m confused by the dates on base of the tins. I have
2 x wheat malt with 251/21
1x amber malt with 012/22
1x cerveza with BEST BEFORE 25/10/24

Obvs the last one is clear. For the others online talk says they might be manufacturing date (missing a slash?) with a 2 year best before date after that. Which means the wheat malt may be expired. Though, all the tins say “For Best Before date see base of can” on the side of the can.

Other comments online say dates missing the slash might be ‘Julian date’ which coverts to 01-May-25 for the wheat malt, but 10-Aug-2001 for the amber malt…!

Have I got expired LME?

Attachments

• 7BEAD292-015E-428E-A27A-5E4461908E46.jpeg
    7BEAD292-015E-428E-A27A-5E4461908E46.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 5EEC1F3A-EA0D-4C77-A24C-A1E8A22F4EF8.jpeg
    5EEC1F3A-EA0D-4C77-A24C-A1E8A22F4EF8.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
The date format would be the same as the one they use on their yeast, its the day of the year that they were produced on (so the 1st of Feb this year would be 032/23).

They should all be fine to use.

Thanks! The 251st day of the year is 8/9 i.e yesterday so, if it’s 2 years post manufacture, they only just sent it within expiry… whatever.

Don’t you think it’s weird though that the label says ‘For Best Before date see base of can’ but the can is a manufacturing date?

The tins with hops in have a date, whilst the tins that are straight malt don't.

I'm assuming the vegetable matter triggers the legislation.

Tins will last a long time, if kept cool.

If the tin gets hot and has puffed up, maybe use 'em on a roughy batch rather than chucking out but don't be too particular on the outcome.

Don’t you think it’s weird though that the label says ‘For Best Before date see base of can’ but the can is a manufacturing date?
the hopped can is the only one where I'd care about date. I don't think I've ever looked at the bottom of the straight malt cans. They can darken with age but it would take a lot longer than 2 years for there to be much of a flavour impact unless stored badly.

did you buy it directly from Coopers? if so, just brew with it. if it comes out bad hit them up online, they are very good about replacing any product that doesnt live up to expectations. honestly one of the best companies I've ever dealt with when it comes to that.

The tins of malt will be fine to brew years after used by date. The issue will be the yeast but I would recommend just changing that anyway even on a new tin as the yeast in the lid is normally not that great.

With that said I don't see the attraction to using these can's of goo. With a very small amount of extra work you can just by dry malt extract and boil it up with fresh hops and you will end up with a far better result. If you do a small amount of work and steep some grains you will be way ahead of a pre-bittered product that you would buy in a can. A short 15min boil with fresh hops and a handful of grain is probably similar price, way better result and would only require slightly more effort.

Latest posts

Back