Malt Prices To Rise?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hefe is german for wheat Nick, you fat **** - so of course the answer is not going to be wheat... Damn you dumb

Edit - I'm a few beers into my case swap - making an Irish Red - Nick is not so bad - I don't care what arse bum says....

Heh heh! Here's me thinking hefe was German for vaginal itch.

What's the primary taste in a lamb stew? Lamb.

What's the primary taste in a Hefeweizen? Yeast esters and phenolics, not wheat.

Simple point, already made but weizen means wheat so a beer without wheat in it is not a weizen. It might be fantastic, superb, delicious amazing or better than a weizen but it's not a weizen any more than a spider is an insect.

Taste in a hefeweizen is a combination of the ingredients combined with mash and ferment schedule, like any beer. It might get a heck of a lot of its characteristics from the yeast - wouldn't deny that at all. What you have could be called a hefe or just beer with a wheat yeast. If you want to insist on calling it a weizen, despite the absurdity then all power to you but it's got nothing to do with german purity laws or purists or any such nonsense - it's got to do with your name being meaningless.

@unrealous - you must be quite a few beers in - hefe is German for yeast, not wheat.

@unrealous - you must be quite a few beers in - hefe is German for yeast, not wheat.
Bugger off mantaray - my post says yeast - not wheat - nick picked it up before I realised my fuckup and changed it - so I think I am still golden as my timestamp is before yours.

Yeah - a few beers in though. Loving life. Ahh beer, my only friend.

Thank God I didn't tell you fellas about my no-hops hefeweizen with 40% cara spec malts. Double shot of bourbon in each Schooner poured - MATE! Ripper.

There's worse. I have taken beer and defiled it completely ... metaphorically though, of course.

Now I'm finding the wonderful world of "styles" has established because there are very few instances where the rules can be broken and a delicious beer made.

It was just a phase, they said.

On with the Coupe de Bledisloe!

You are obtusely and possibly deliberately missing the point. No-one has suggested you can't use a wheat yeast in a beer with no wheat. No one has tried to be a style nazi. You have claimed 'I make wheat beer without wheat'.

Maybe you do but it must be some kind of magic.

I make onion jam with no onion.

Hey Nick.This is a good weizen.
Go to the supermarket and buy 20 litres of grape juice and add some 3068. No hops needed.
Awsome.

Carrying on with the OT theme here but I think Nick was only joking in his original post (even if he has actually brewed "weizens" without wheat before) I lolled anyway.

Everyone just RDWHAHB, its only the internet after all :icon_cheers:

back OT as previously stated its not gonna stop me from brewing.

Malt prices have gone down according to my LHB retailer which he has passed onto customers. Definitely paid less.

I don't mind the occasional XXXX Bitter Ale or a Cascade Pale Ale.

Here's something that bum made.....

shit.jpg

(any wheat?)

Maybe some Wheaties.

Weizens are better without any wheat in them anyway. ;) All-barley weizen FTW!
blasphemy! :icon_vomit:
Nick, you have proved nothing except that you are a master baiter (pun intended), and soooo many took your bait. Way to increase your post count with meaningless off-topic drivel.

An all-malt beer brewed with W3068 is a Dampfbier (literally steam beer), and should still have some bitey phenolics, but very little of the ester components.

You see, you have not created a new style at all. Sorry about deflating your balloon. ;)

P.S. Good onya Mantickler. Fight the good fight against mis-named styles and all brewing oppression.

Nick, you have proved nothing except that you are a master baiter (pun intended), and soooo many took your bait. Way to increase your post count with meaningless off-topic drivel.

An all-malt beer brewed with W3068 is a Dampfbier (literally steam beer), and should still have some bitey phenolics, but very little of the ester components.

You see, you have not created a new style at all. Sorry about deflating your balloon. ;)

P.S. Good onya Mantickler. Fight the good fight against mis-named styles and all brewing oppression.

Thanks Weizass, for that info on the one beer in the world that does this. Although style-wise my beer is nothing like this (higher IBU and darker colour), and would be judged not-to-style. Mine's chocka full of esters with 3068, are you sure they use this yeast? You describe it as having none have you brewed one and got no banana? If anything I find I get more banana the less wheat I use with this yeast. Certainly less tang.

you haven't deflated my balloon.

Yes, it does seem quite impenetrable.

Back