Lpg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighanno

Reaction score
The Swap and go/exchange cylinder program or similar brands. Here in NE Vic we pay $22 9kg swap at Bunnings or $29 at BP. and all in between at various servo's. I guess cylinder reconditioning is part of the cost. What's considered a fair price? <_<

Approx. $ 34-35/9kg up my neck of the woods. :angry:

swap and go chatswood nsw - $27 for 9 kg

the real Q is how many brews are people getting from 9kg (number of burners & system dependant)

markws

markws said:
swap and go chatswood nsw - $27 for 9 kg

the real Q is how many brews are people getting from 9kg (number of burners & system dependant)

markws
[post="121215"][/post]​

If you don't do swap and go it's usually quite a bit cheaper - i remember my uncle saying there was some place in Ingleburn that does 9kg refills for $10. The place down the street (BR at Summer Hill) does 9kg refills for $14!

9Kg is 270Mj approximately - so you can estimate how much you use based on the rating of your system which is expressed in Mj/hr.

i pay $15 per 9 kg. swap and go works out more expensive, just to save 3 minutes.

I was going to bunnings before G&G moved as there was one very close to them. $20 for a changeover.
Now there is no bunnings anywhere near me.
Servo charges $27.50 :angry:
I now use Supagas. They deliver to your house for $25 :)
They also have larger cylinders. I was interested in the 13.5? but you have to pay monthly rental on those.

cheers
johnno

I think I pay $25 for swap and go at the local Bunnings. There is only one place left that does re-fills while you wait around here now, and half the time there is no-one trained in the procedure to actually do it for you.

As to the other part of the question I get about 7 brews from a 9kg bottle with my NASA burner, and a BBQ or two thrown in.

Beers,
Doc

Trick is with a NASA is to have a couple of cylinders. I feel uncomfortable If I haven't got a full cylinder sitting around on the reserve bench. :rolleyes:

We've still got a servo who will refill for $18. So long as you give them a couple of hours to do it. ;)

Warren -

Plenty of places around here doing refills - All seem to be approx $20.
Swap & go at $27 is only ever used "after shop hours".

I keep a seperate one for the bbq, so always got a back-up...

cheers Ross

Servo at Ramsgate (syd) on my way to work, do $15 9kg fills.
I usually do two bottles at a time ($30).

My local sevo wants $25 per bottle !
I use a 4 ring burner and i seem to go through quite a bit of gas really, so i guess the saving does add up over time.

$20 for 9kg at my local servo :) must fill them [2] again.
How many batches [single and double] do you guys get from a 9kg cylinder? ;)

I'm using a 9kg bottle with my 3 ring burner , i've done 4 brews with this burner (from full bottle) and it feels around half empty/full. i was hoping for more than 8 brews from a 9kg. Will have to wait and see.

If anyone really wants to economise, and can swing it, you can get 45kg bottles from most wholesale gas outlets if you tell them that you are using it with a welding regulator for welding as a substitute for Acetylene in an oxy acetylene set. The bottles cost $95 to fill, and $23/year, and reduce your gas cost to slightly over $2 a kg. They also don't freeze up with extended high pressure use. They accept the same post fitting that a 9kg does, and I use mine with a high pressure adjustable regulator for my brewing, probably the same thing some of you use for yours with a 9kg.
I know this means some trickiness and buying $100 worth of gas at once, but you also virtually NEVER run out of gas, they get delivered free, and in the long run cost a bit less. This option won't suit many, (for example I do use mine in my workshop for some soldering, and also for my gas forge), but the option may suit one or two of you, hope this helps.
Wayne

Since I'm a BBQ fiend and would go through well over 10 9kg fills over a summer (not including brewing), I'm giving serious consideration to getting a couple of 45kg or 90kg cyllinders. We used to have them for cooking/heating before the natural gas was put in our street so I have the regulator already. All it would need is a friendly plumber who would put in the pipework and a couple of bayonet fittings on the back deck. Preferably one who would do it for beer (any takers :beer: ).

The home delivery gas service is really good - they drive up in a big truck every month or so, connect a hose and fill them up in a couple of minutes. They meter what goes into the cylinder and only charge for what you use (not like a 9kg where you get crarged for a full fill even if it still has a bit in it).

I think I worked out that if you use more than 5 or 6 9kg/year its cheaper paying the rental on a big one and getting the home delivery. I can look up the figures if anyone is interested.

The other alternative woudl be plumbing the burner and BBQ into the natural gas but thats a pain as the burners all need to be modified. the natural has also doesn't get as hot so I would rather use the LPG for BBQ/brewing.

Cheers
Dave

domonsura said:
If anyone really wants to economise, and can swing it, you can get 45kg bottles from most wholesale gas outlets. The bottles cost $95 to fill, and $23/year
[post="121291"][/post]​

Am I missing something :blink: .

A 9kg bottle costs $20 (on av) to refill which = $100 for 5 refills with no rental.
A 45kg bottle costs $95 + $23 rental.

Other than the fact of not running out as often, it's more expensive & a damn sight harder to lug around.

cheers Ross

Ross said:
Am I missing something :blink: .

A 9kg bottle costs $20 (on av) to refill which = $100 for 5 refills with no rental.
A 45kg bottle costs $95 + $23 rental.

Other than the fact of not running out as often, it's more expensive & a damn sight harder to lug around.

cheers Ross
[post="121315"][/post]​

Ross

The rental is a yearly fee not per cyllinder so the first cyllinder/year costs you $120 ($118 if you do the maths) but each one after that costs $95 so if you use a lot of gas it does work out cheaper. It also gets cheaper very fast if you are paying more than $20 for a fill. Even at $25/fill which a lot of people are paying a 45 is cheaper than 5 9's already. I think I pay around 22 or so for a 9kg at the local BBQs Galore so its about even for 5 fills. I use about 10-15 a year though so it will work out cheaper for me. I could hunt around and find 9kg fills cheaper but witht e cost of petrol these days driving for more than a few minutes to get gas will cost more than you save.

Cheers
Dave

I use natural gas with a four ring burner it seems to do the job great.
I know that it dosnt burn as hot as LPG but it seems to do the job just fine even droping to 3 rings once it starts to boil. Beauty is I never run out. I did have my burner modified for natural gas.
:beer:
BS

Servo down the road does exchange for $20 and if you want to wait to have your bottle filled its $22. I suspect tghis will change once they have all the privately owned bottles.

cheers
Darren

If you go the 45 kg path, make sure you check out what rates your local supplier has.

Elgas is our local supplier. A 45kg cylinder is currently $89.15 for a swap with no annual rental.

Latest posts

Back