EOI - 45Kg LPG Bottles (Melb ONLY)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinOC

Insert something suitably witty here
Reaction score
Here's one for the hard-core (& tight-arsed :p ) gas-fired brewers in Melbourne!

I've been looking at LPG prices to cover my new brewery/shed in Kinglake & came to the conclusion that owning your own 45Kg LPG bottle is definitely the way to go. I've been in correspondence with the Sales Manager of a Victoria-based manufacturer, who is prepared to sell us own-your-own bottles by the pallet (9/pallet), so I'm looking for like-minded brew-nuts in Melb. to share the love.

Each bottle is brand-new from the manufacturer & stamped "CUSTOMER-OWNED".

Here's the numbers:

1 x 45Kg gas bottle + 1/9th of the freight charges works-out @ $205/bottle. If you wanted to buy a single bottle off Evilbay, it would be about $350 delivered.

They're good for 10 years & will then need to be re-tested & stamped. I've priced the cost for this at $44 (YMMV).

Elgas tells me they'll do an on-site refill @ 86.9c/litre. Since bottles will hold 88 Litres, that's $76.47/fill. Since you own the bottle, they'll require you to enter into a 3-year contract to refill, but they only charge for what they actually supply if you just want a top-up. They only require that the bottle be visible to the truck driver during refill, so you may need to move it from your brewery to where they can get at it/see it.

Over 10 years, the "ownership-cost" is $20.50/year. Amortised (Lord Raja Goombah would be proud of me!) over 20 years, it's $12.45/year, including the retest/stamp cost. As long as you don't abuse the bottle, there's no reason it can't last at least that long. Compare that to $55/yr hire of a bottle (at current prices) & you're already ahead.

As a cost/L comparison (using Elgas as the supplier):

1 x 45Kg bottle annual hire - $55.
Swap-over bottle cost - $138 ($1.56/L)

If you "only" use 2 bottles in the 1st year (what seriously hard-core brewer will do that??), that's a saving of $157.56 & it just gets better the longer you own the bottle (which can be on-sold if you no longer require it).

If you compare the cost of using 9Kg bottles, it pales into insignificance. You're getting 5x the gas for less than 3x the cost.

At this stage, I'm only looking for 7 other participants on ONE pallet (since I'll take 2 myself). If there's more interest, it would have to be in multiples of 9 (ie. one pallet-load).

As per usual BB protocols, if you're interested, just cut/paste the list below & add yourself:

1. MartinOC - 2

Hi Martin. I've been looking for a place to buy these for a while now. I'm in Kinglake also and sick of paying through the nose for my house gas. I'm in for 2 mate. Cheers

1.Martin OC-2
2.Curly 79-2

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

How we looking Martin? Any more takers?

Hi Guys,

I'm frankly surprised at the lack of interest, but I'm aware it's a big-ticket item to shell-out for up-front. I'll leave it over the weekend & se if any more interest is generated.

Curly, at this stage it's just you & me (fully understand your domestic gas situation.......!!). Any chance you can ask-around a few of your neighbours & word them up on this deal & see if they want to join the party? Once word gets out, Elgas is gonna hate me!! :D

I can only see this being a once-off deal, since once I have my own bottles, I'm set for 20+ years. Once I build the house, I'm gonna buy a fat-boy (210Kg bottle) & MAY then on-sell my 45Kg bottles.

Edit: Mardoo, do the numbers - in 3 fills, it's more than paid for itself.

I've considered them, but I can get 9kg refills for $18, as I already have 5 bottles the business case doesn't hold :)

Next time you go to keg king continue down police rd to Jackson rd then turn right into Jackson (if it's not jackson it's the one just before both opposite Waverley gardens ) the 1 k or so there is a servo and milk bar that compete with price, thar last one was 17.99 at 1 and 19 at the other.

If my bottles are getting old I swap with bro in law who does the 30 swap and go at bunnings

1.Martin OC -2
2.Curly 79 -2
3.Danwood -1

I'll bite...and expect bargain 9 and 4.5 cylinders at rock bottom prices here folks, if this proceeds !

(I'll just get massive[er] moving it from brewery to bbq)

You should also make yourselves aware of your local councils rules about where you can safely & legally place large household gas cylinders around your home. I remember when we had gas hooked up at a previous home they wouldn't install the cylinders where I'd wanted them because of windows being too close to the area. They weren't moved far from where I'd planned them to be but they did treat the matter very seriously, and fair enough it could save your home, family, neighbors, and firemen from serious grief if the worst ever happened.

Australian Standards for gas bottle placement can be found here: http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/388-lpg-gas-bottle-cylinder-placement-guide

If you're prepared to wheel a bottle out the front on a trolley for the tanker refill & then take it back to your brewery, all well & good (I'm guessing folks with big exchange bottles currently do that anyway). If not, you need to consider the information in the linky above.

Matt, I agree that $18 for a 9Kg fill is a good price (approx. $1/Litre, since those bottles hold just under 18 Litres), but this is still cheaper.

Obviously, everyone should consider their own particular situation & make decisions accordingly. Caveat Emptor!

To anyone who goes ahead with this, you could eaisly also fill your in date camping LPG bottles with this cylinder. Just turn it upside down.

Buy the correct hoze with the safety features and Do it at your own risk though, the correct procedure can be found in the standards.

Exactly. Fill your BBQ bottles for around $12. :)

Sorry fellas, the minister of finance has vetoed this deal. We're meant to be saving for a house deposit. Good luck with it.

1.Martin OC -2
2.Curly 79 -2

"But darling, I'm ALREADY saving heaps with the beer I'm making (& not buying), this just makes it even cheaper!"

Bush telegraph has been sent.

1.Martin OC -2
2.Curly 79 -3

More to come fingers crossed.

MartinOC said:
Edit: Mardoo, do the numbers - in 3 fills, it's more than paid for itself.
Yep, well aware. Ever hear of cashflow accounting? Well, I haven't been doing it...

Curly79 said:
Bush telegraph has been sent.
Beat them drums til it hurts mate! Unless we get 9, the deal falls-over.

Sitting in the shed right now, contemplating the new brewery, with a small "detritus" fire going outside..

Righto. One more taker

1.Martin OC -2
2.Curly 79 -4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back