Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NealK said:
Sounds a bit like Tap-A-Draft. Does this mean the ongoing cost of mini co2 canisters? This is one of the reasons I got rid of mine.
was thinking the exact same thing.

How else would you keep it fresh without co2? Unless they spent all that money designing a deflatable bag in a bottle...

I think this might coincide with the push to get beer into supermarkets. Surely this is a very convenient way of drinking beer and if you can sell the refills in supermarkets then all the more likely that the everyday punter will pick one up on the way out.

They may just have high CO2 content within the bottles and have the tap fed directly from the PET bottle. That would result in decreasing pressures at the end of each bottle but I really can't see them trying to sell CO2 cannister replacements to the average punter.

The big breweries have been completely fucked over by the supermarkets. This is a move to get people to buy elsewhere. It'll fail horribly but that is all it is.

Except in Qld or Tas. Why is it I moved from one state where there's no supermarket beer to another state where there is none.

At least in Qld, we had Dan Murphy's.

I've always wanted to go to ALDI (none of those here, either) to grab a 6 pack of some Hefeweiss.

You Victorians are lucky (and I can guarantee that the binge-drinking is no worse there, than in Brisbane).

Goomba

................................(and I can guarantee that the binge-drinking is no worse there, than in Brisbane).

Goomba
You leave me out of this Goomba

Local council here have vetoed a Dan Murphys because it might cause the lower echelons to drink irresponsibly. I thought councils were to fix the roads, pump the sewage, round up lost dogs and collect the garbage, not to engage in social engineering.

Fckuwits.

We (SWMBO & I, plus a couple of friends we told the joke to) have a joke that basically goes along the lines of - the crows do more work than the council and don't get paid for it (because they clean up the frequent carrion from the middle of the road).

The thing that got me is that rates here, are around the same as Brisbane city council (aka Beirut because of how crater filled the roads are), but the properties are 1/2 or significantly less in value than Brisbane.

Bribie G said:
Local council here have vetoed a Dan Murphys because it might cause the lower echelons to drink irresponsibly. I thought councils were to fix the roads, pump the sewage, round up lost dogs and collect the garbage, not to engage in social engineering.

Fckuwits.
No they would rather choke your heart with fat from fast food outlets.
Australian Booze dictators have these antiquated views on booze dispersal, hence why we have the binge drinking problems and violence.
I say put a fast food booze outlet on every corner and decentralise drinking and the problems will decline.
MY2C
Nev
Nev

http://www.theshout.com.au/2013/04/24/article/Industry-debates-Tap-Kings-merits/MAZCRMNMVB.html

By James Atkinson
Coopers chairman Glenn Cooper and Little Creatures founder Howard Cearns have given insights on draught beer at home products, as a poll by TheShout found 70 per cent of respondents believe Lion's Tap King is bad news for pubs (pictured right).
Billed by Lion as a market-leading innovation for the beer category, Tap King has copped a strong backlash from hoteliers.
Glenn Cooper told TheShout that the reaction was similar when Coopers made its entry into making home brew kits.
He reiterated his earlier comments that if people decide to sit at home and drink beer as an alternative to visiting the pub, "there's something wrong with your hotel".
"Hotels are not just selling beer, they're selling atmosphere," he said.
Asked if Coopers would consider developing a Tap King equivalent product, he said he doubted whether any home draught system could ever compare with having a Coopers in a hotel.
"It would be hard to beat a good pub with good beer line systems in quality," he said.

It really does sound like a Tap-A-Draught style system.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
We (SWMBO & I, plus a couple of friends we told the joke to) have a joke that basically goes along the lines of - the crows do more work than the council and don't get paid for it (because they clean up the frequent carrion from the middle of the road).

The thing that got me is that rates here, are around the same as Brisbane city council (aka Beirut because of how crater filled the roads are), but the properties are 1/2 or significantly less in value than Brisbane.
It was the same council that headed a study in outback Australia to find out why the crow numbers were in decline & why so many crows were found dead on the road, not in groups, just one bird on it's own. They came to the conclusion that the crows would eat in pairs. One crow would feed on the carrion on the road & the other would sit in a tree as a lookout. They concluded that when a truck was approaching, the lookout would squawk out Car, Car, but couldn't say truck.
Apologies to the OP................ :icon_offtopic:

felten said:
How else would you keep it fresh without co2? Unless they spent all that money designing a deflatable bag in a bottle...
Clever Felten. That's the same way the gas in a Paslode nail gun is delivered - the outer canister is pressurised and the inner bladder squeezed as a result. Clever.

On the pubs issue. Don't underestimate the choke-hold that big business is tightening on local pubs. It's probably all over in fact. The only atmosphere in my local is the smell of the beer mats on the bar. Or is that the toilets? I can't tell. Neither can the flies.

Pokies, big business and the bottom line (supermarket duopoly) is sucking the life out of local pubs. I pray that craft-brewing can restore the vibrance and diversity of public houses but I don't hold much hope.

Jesus. Jaded and critical much? Sorry.

Pubs shouldn't complain too much. It could be worse...

wctu.jpg

431neb said:
Pokies, big business and the bottom line (supermarket duopoly) is sucking the life out of local pubs.
yeah, the two supermarkets own most of the pubs (at least here in Qld).

mitch.flint said:
They may just have high CO2 content within the bottles and have the tap fed directly from the PET bottle. That would result in decreasing pressures at the end of each bottle but I really can't see them trying to sell CO2 cannister replacements to the average punter.
The co2 is in a canister inside the bottle, when you tap the keg, it opens the canister and releases the co2 in, to keep pressure in the bottle. Its a pretty neat looking system. Im actually interested in the idea of using the dispensing system refilled with HB for small sessions at mates houses or to take to dinner parties etc without lugging a big corny around. Im sure someone will works something out.

These things don't take up much room in the fridge either, less than a 6pack and less than a bottle of coke, but it has more volume than both. So its pretty cool in that regard. More like a slim heineken keg!

The old mans team got a sample pack of the product, so i'll let you all know how it pours etc

If you're really sure of your FG and accurately add dex or sugaz you should be able to lightly prime them for "draught beer" service? Might not be too good for a bright lager but for a 150 lashes or a Coopers Green style ale, might be the go.

We pulled the cap off and it has a co2 cartridge in them to equalise pressure, I don't think the bottles could be easily refilled with the way the caps are put on, thinking a out it, it's basically a plastic corny with co2 built in to the caps, and the plastic dip tube going to the bottom of the bottle.

Interesting design.

Definitely tastes better than the bottled stuff, I did a side by side comparison of the JSGA and it was definitely the same as the stuff the pubs get.

Refills are $22 for 3.2 litre PET bottles, just under $2 a pot (you northern weirdo's can work out a schooner price for yourselves).

TapKingAngledDispenser2.jpg

Back