Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldnt know where a pub is that sells that shit anyway..

The bars I generally frequent only sell good beers anyway.

if I could get refills of Feral Hop Hog for $22... now theres a thing I could get excited about

Ross said:
Guys, bars cannot do growler type refils from 50L kegs without all sorts of licences & excise hurdles. You can pretty well guarantee it will be a disposable system.

cheers Ross
Could this still be cheaper and easier than setting up a whole new packaging and distribution chain on this scale?

As Ross will confirm, quite apart from the Watneys Party cans, giant PET bottles of beer were common in the UK in the 1980s and 90s in the bottle shops and supermarkets. I don't think they have them any more, gone on mostly to 500ml cans.

Pretty ordinary stuff but they were five or seven pints. then you'd get the "eight pints for the price of seven" ones. Also for a while in my home town you could get a PET container that you could take to the off licence and get it filled from a keg of Newcastle Exhibition for the same price as over the bar. Why does Australia constantly have to re-invent the bloody wheel? (end pom rant) :p

I know you can buy big PET bottles of beer in Finland not sure what size they were 2-3L at a guess, I just remember thinking who would buy beer in a bottle that big and made of plastic.

Yob said:
I wouldnt know where a pub is that sells that shit anyway..

The bars I generally frequent only sell good beers anyway.

if I could get refills of Feral Hop Hog for $22... now theres a thing I could get excited about
I'm with you Yob the bars that I frequest either have great craft beer on tap or females in various stages of undress. Never both unfortunately :angry: Now there's a thought if I combined the two...................................

Rowy said:
I'm with you Yob the bars that I frequest either have great craft beer on tap or females in various stages of undress. Never both unfortunately :angry: Now there's a thought if I combined the two...................................
At home with a lady friend/wife/mistress..?

yeah look guys I reckon these will be sold in grog shops, not over the bar at pubs.

I have no interest in the refills etc., I am just interested in how it works and if i can use it to take 3L of my beer to a barbie and dispense with a tap. If i wanted to buy draught beer to serve at home/barbie I would grab one of Ross' 5L jobs for cheaper/around about the same price.

cheers

I could make my bar an all AHB affair. Ross in charge of refreshments, Smokomark in charge of pies and sausage rolls, Winkle our beer taste tester and of course myself as chief of 'staff' selection. Florian could be in charge of Wurst as long as he didn't try to include his sausage in my selection process. Liam could be in charge of growling..................oops I mean growlers. We could even get Bum along to abuse the clientelle that we wanted to get rid of! This my friends is going to go bigtime! Share options will be listed in the very near future so stay tuned.

You beauty! The name I've been searching for :super:

Lion has reportedly advised hoteliers that it has spent upwards of ten million dollars developing the system. One report has put the investment as high as $20 million. (from the main article)

That is a lot of money that has to be re-couped in development costs. I wonder what the budget breakdown is between functionality & making the system hack proof, so it cant be used for non Lion beer.

what other beers can you think of that are sold in PET bottles?

my guess is that they will have a unique/unusual gauge thread for the cap so it can't be used with any old bottle.

Also, I don't think many fridges will support a 3 Litre Bottle in an upright position, so maybe it will be designed so that the bottle has to be on its side on a shelf?

I wonder what type of system (if any) will pressurize the beer?

Even $10M in development will have to produce something half decent, one would think. Perhaps the unit will function in zero gravity environments as well......

Shit bars, shit bottle shops, no difference to me, unlikely to have an impact at Purvis or the Great Britain.. If going to a party or whatever I'm likely to need more than 3 lt so the little party keg comes out anyway..

I hops that 20mil was spent developing it here coz they'll get sweet **** all of it back from me.. lol

And we all know what a creative bunch the marketers at some breweries can be. Who knows how the $10M figure was calculated. Was it the combined yearly salary of everyone that attended the think tank session on how to sell more beer to people who cannot make it to the pub but own a fridge.....

oh the young ones.

That is how coke was sold in the 80's

They where called Crowd Pleaser Bottles.

Think about it logically. The company wouldn't release this new product with the intention of making a loss. They can only increase profit (that's the whole principle of business, right?) by increasing sales or reducing expenses. It would appear in this case they are aiming to do both. The cost of a single 3.2L PET bottle would cost less in raw materials compared to 9 x 345ml glass bottles with 9 x bottle caps. So the reduction in labour and materials already presents a substantial cost saving in itself.

You're always gonna have the loyal blokes who grab the same slab of new or xxxx or vb whatever but in the event that one weekend Joe Blow buys his usual carton plus a bottle of this new shit, then the marketing behind the product has already worked by making you buy the product. I'm sure i'm not the only bloke who's gone to the bottleshop, seen something new on the shelf and bought it (pre-homebrew days of course!!!). So the marketing behind it seems to be around the whole 'draught' experience and the convenience of having 1 bottle to dispose of afterwards cause fucken hell i've seen enough of the mess created 'the morning after' a big night on the piss and you now have 100 bottles to throw out.

As for the 10m outlay..... think of Apple as an example. You might pay $600 for an iPad or whatever the fucken things are worth when in fact it only costs them $70 worth of materials and labour etc to make it. But the staggering fact that almost everyone overlooks is the research and development aspect, technological patents/copyrights, wages, marketing, overheads such as rent,
machinery costs, insurance and depreciation etc etc which can all be attributed and traced back to the cost of the product and indeed go towards determining a selling point for the product.

Only reason i chimed in here is because i'm an accounting student and inbetween making beer, i have to bury my head in friggen uni books that cover this exact same stuff so i thought i'd try and help explain how that $10m and $22 is calculated.

cheers
Josh

Sounds a bit like Tap-A-Draft. Does this mean the ongoing cost of mini co2 canisters? This is one of the reasons I got rid of mine.

Back