Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched the video ( Lionel Richie must be running out of money) and they look fairly long, will be interesting to see how they fit in the normal depth fridge.

How many litres does it apparently hold?

tricache said:
Just watched the video ( Lionel Richie must be running out of money) and they look fairly long, will be interesting to see how they fit in the normal depth fridge.

How many litres does it apparently hold?
3.2 litres.

983845_180619885435933_1749802085_n.jpg

I like the idea of this but once I saw the beers listed I was sad again...

Liam_snorkel said:
3.2 litres.

983845_180619885435933_1749802085_n.jpg
I'm just not sure if a footy belongs on the top shelf of the fridge, this will just give the kids ideas.

Looks like they are not sparing the advertising dollar in promoting the launch.

I wonder if it will be just at selected outlets or at every BWS, LL, Liquorstax, etc etc. Imagine the logistics behind distributing the unit and the refills all over Australia, mind boggling. They must be sinking millions and millions into the exercise.

MastersBrewery said:
I'm just not sure if a footy belongs on the top shelf of the fridge, this will just give the kids ideas.
Yeah, I'm sick to death of telling my kids that sports equipment belongs in the crisper.

If it's 12 days until launch, I reckon it'll be 13days until it's 'hacked' for homebrew.

Pity they only have 1 Ale on launch but encouraging to see 6 brands.

Lionel Richie pocketed 1.5 million for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyNQJplaVa4

Tap King Instructional video - vaguely amusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_F596t7dY0

mrTbeer said:
If it's 12 days until launch, I reckon it'll be 13days until it's 'hacked' for homebrew.
Agree. It's gotta make a handy party keg.

I'll just keep the 3L growler on the floor next to my TV chair and swig from that.

Bribie G said:
Searched in vain for Cheerios at the supermarkets here when rugrats were visiting at Christmas. The little red sausages, I thought the name was Australia wide - had to settle for cocktail Franks instead.
There is a whole new generation that doesn't shudder at the idea of pouring milk on Cheerios for breakfast. :icon_vomit:
We all drink schooners up here Bribie, pots are reserved for the elderly at small Bowls Clubs - you should know that.
At the risk of swerving on topic, these things will appear then vanish within a few months - too much effort when you can just buy a carton of cans.

The problem I can see during the settling in period is that they will send hundreds of thousands of growlers out all over Australia, presumably in the same ratio as what each brand achieves currently in pub sales. Or will it be in the same ratio as what each brand achieves in bottle shop and Dan's sales.

So whatever they do they are taking a punt. So I can envisage oversupplies of Tooheys New in this shop, oversupplies of XXXX gold in that shop, people screaming for JS or Boags in the other shop.... could be a logistical nightmare shipping excess stock from store to store.

Interesting to see how it pans out.

When I arrived in OZ it was seven ounce glasses, but eight ounces in Metro Brisbane for some reason.

In Tassie, a pot is called a "ten ounce". Pints remain the same however.

They don't have school ports or cheerios.

They call the latter "little boys", the sick bastards.

If I can refill with homebrew I'll buy one of these things. Otherwise why not stick with 5L party keg thingies?

I have to admit the pop out drip tray is pretty nifty...apart from that it will be interesting to see how these go.

I used to like the Heineken Kegs but first pour was always tears, foam city

Tropical_Brews said:
Looks like they are not sparing the advertising dollar in promoting the launch.
Ummmm.... Have you EVER known CUB or Lion Nathan to "spare" the advertising dollar?

They spend more on marketing than ingredients each year...

NewtownClown said:
Ummmm.... Have you EVER known CUB SAB Miller or Lion Nathan to "spare" the advertising dollar?

They spend more on marketing than ingredients each year...
If only they had contacted Brewnut for the growlers :lol:

that's the whole point isn't it? This tap king thing is itself a marketing strategy.

Bribie G said:
Having emigrated to Australia from QLD, indeed I have had to brush up on the vocabulary;

middy - pot
longneck - tallie
Motor Registry - Main Roads
Green slip - CTP insurance
Rego - what's that? being a pensioner it's free in NSW
The $2.50 Pensioner Excursion Ticket (PET) - anywhere you want, all day no QLD equivalent.
Four distinct seasons, no QLD equivalent
Real trees

:p :p :p

Edit: heating bills :huh:
Rugby league... :S

Back