Like, stop saying "Like"...Like...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While my dislike of like is deep and profound, the thing that really, really gets me worked up is management speak. I kind of almost buy the argument that like and like expressions are a natural part of the change language goes through but management speak is where language really goes to die. It an exercise in using as many words as possible to give the impression of saying something while actually conveying no information whatsoever.

If I hear some dude in a suit say tell me that we "will proactively leverage our synergies to achieve outcomes going forward" one more time, I swear I will punch them in the face.

This topic is like totes quiche

I made myself angry just writing that phrase. Going forward.. ARRRGGGHHHH.

Loved the hollow men. There are also a series of books by a guy called Don Watson about it. Weasel Words was the first.

Airgead said:
I made myself angry just writing that phrase. Going forward.. ARRRGGGHHHH. Loved the hollow men. There are also a series of books by a guy called Don Watson about it. Weasel Words was the first.
Deep deep deep. Faced real expressions of disgust from co-workers when suggesting in a prior job how to stop the rot and used the expression 'going forward'. Gladly they could tell me that right then and there.

Was there some politician that used to say it?

Airgead said:
If I hear some dude in a suit say tell me that we "will proactively leverage our synergies to achieve outcomes going forward" one more time, I swear I will punch them in the face.

What about these ? (from linkedin) I found the list amusing for some of us white collar's...

1. Going forward
  2. Drill-down
  3. End of play
  4. Touch base
  5. It's on my radar
  6. No brainer
  7. Best of breed
  8. Low hanging fruit
  9. Reach out
  10. Dive deeper
  11. Think outside the box
  12. Positive momentum
  13. On my plate
  14. At the end of the day
  15. Run the numbers
  16. Touch points
  17. Keep your eye on the ball
  18. Back to the drawing board
  19. Get the ball rolling
  20. Bang for your buck
  21. Close the deal
  22. When the rubber hits the road
  23. Shift paradigm
  24. Move the needle
  25. Game-changing
  26. Move the goal post
  27. Value added
  28. Win-win
  29. Across the piece
  30. All hands on deck

How about getting traction on a problem as opposed to spinning our wheels!
Or when people say "correct" instead of yes

Aagghhhhhhhh "Touch Base" ******* hate that

I dont want to "Touch base" I want you to ******* ring me.

What about these ? (from linkedin) I found the list amusing for some of us white collar's...
  1. Going forward
  2. Drill-down
  3. End of play
  4. Touch base
  5. It's on my radar
  6. No brainer
  7. Best of breed
  8. Low hanging fruit
  9. Reach out
  10. Dive deeper
  11. Think outside the box
  12. Positive momentum
  13. On my plate
  14. At the end of the day
  15. Run the numbers
  16. Touch points
  17. Keep your eye on the ball
  18. Back to the drawing board
  19. Get the ball rolling
  20. Bang for your buck
  21. Close the deal
  22. When the rubber hits the road
  23. Shift paradigm
  24. Move the needle
  25. Game-changing
  26. Move the goal post
  27. Value added
  28. Win-win
  29. Across the piece
  30. All hands on deck

Ive always loved "mud map"...still got NFI what those execs were on about.

Also I have a nose bleed from reading the thread, have I, like, caught the virus? Am I going to turn into a niki minaj fan?

eungaibitter1 said:
One that I'm very happy to not hear much any more is "it's all good". For a while there it seemed every one bar
me thought everything was all good. What a concept. I was soooo like, over it.
I rethought this and I say "no worries" all the time. I am an unfair shit of a man.

I'm a pom and my Rhodesian mate and I agreed that Australians can't pronounce "Beer" correctly.

"What's those "BEES" they keep asking me to go out with them for"

I pronounce beer as if saying "bee" followed quickly by urn ... beeurn then knock the rn off the end, just leaving the vowel following the bee.

. I burst into tears after watching that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the only thing that I find annoying in the current vocabulary trend (if that adequately describes it) is the overuse of the adjective "amazing".
I find it hard to believe that a bowl of chicken bosciola is amazing. I don't know why but most times I hear something is "amazing", I can't help but think "Is it? Is it really amazing?".

Back