Like, stop saying "Like"...Like...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stu hands the speaking stick back to Goose, over the campfire.

Drives my nuts as well. It's such a useless mark of dumb children.

I always ask for clarilty; "was the drink made of something like mangos, or actually made from mangos?"

This thread is epic and so was my lunch today and the taste of this water I am drinking and the speed of this computer I am typing on! Everything is epic!

Was having a beer with a mate when a young ( 22 ) chick txt him to pick up some oysters. I had to read the msg as he didnt have his glasses.The last bit of the message read " can I come and pick them up at like 5pm"..... Yes, she is blonde and has the "deer caught in the headlights " look

A lot of things mentioned previously get on my nerves as appears so to others as well. What I really hate lies in the cooking shows like Masterchef (as an example) when the professional hosts does something and all the amatures just go all gooey with their "ooooohhhhhh" or "ahhhhhhh" suck hole remarks!!

Still nothing beats "canned" laughter on american TV...sometimes they even use it in comedy shows.

Professor Stanley Unwin put it perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2tzUFw_onY

List of banned words from a food review site. Some, are used to describe our favourite beverage:
  • "X until perfection" or "X to perfection." This language is strictly the territory of chain restaurant menus. Likewise phrases like "on a bed of" or "medley."
  • "X of deliciousnesss" or "X of goodness." It's just butter, for god's sake, it's not "buttery goodness!"
  • Converting nouns into new verbs, such as "gingered" or "truffled." It's "pasta with truffles," not "truffled pasta"
  • Zing. e.g. "The cheese added zippy zing to the meatballs." Gah!
  • Zip. e.g. "The meatballs added zingy zip to the cheese." Eek!
  • Oomph. Why would I want my food to taste like the sound of someone punching me in the gut?
  • Yummy. I dearly hope we don't need to explain this one.
  • Farm Fresh. It's an overused phrase with little to no real meaning.
  • Decadent or sinful. Or anything else that makes food sound like a vice. We are here to celebrate it, not hate ourselves for loving it.
  • "On offer" instead of "offered." This is a British phrasing that doesn't sit well on our ears.
  • "Taste" when you mean "Flavor." If those mussels really had "good taste", they'd all be wearing designer jeans.
  • "Addicting" when you mean "Addictive." We know there's arguments on both sides as to whether "addicting" can be used when you mean "causes addiction," but why not just use the form in which there's no debate at all? "Addictive" leaves no room for argument.
  • "Spheres" or "orbs" to describe round foods. Ice cream is served in scoops. Doughnuts can be fried as balls. Neither are orbs. That's just forced use of thesaurus right there.
  • Foodie. The very word makes our stomachs churn just a bit.
  • Über- (as in, "über-rich" or "über-creamy") This rule, above all else.
  • Heavenly. See "decadent or sinful" above. It's just food, dammit!
  • "To die for." Really? You're really willing to die for the butter-flavored dip that comes with the new all-you-can-eat claw bucket from Crimson Crustacean?
  • Luscious. This is a name for a character on Jersey Shore. Not something you want your food to be.
  • Luxurious. Or worse, "luxe." Calling a chocolate pudding "luxurious" doesn't tell us all that much. We need details!
  • "Kick it up." An Emeril-ism that I'm sure even he wishes he'd never uttered in the first place.
  • "Take it to the next level." Your chicken salad has levels?
I maintain "yummy" makes me cringe, despite the fact it offends some viewers.

Back