Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes sorry about this. We have a massive issue right now as we had a large email out go to quite a long list regarding the Core 360 Regulators. As soon as this email went out we had about 1500 people trying to compete for the shipment of these and they have now sold out in a relatively short amount of time.

One of the issues with this type of thing is that it puts a large load on the server then normally customers are rapidly hitting F5 to refresh the page so when they come available then can purchase as many as they can and with 1500 customers rapidly pressing F5 it just seems to slow the site down quite a lot. I think you will notice it should be better in the next two days.
Kegland. I ordered two packets of o rings paid for on 7th July with the cost of postage way in excess of the cost of the o rings. My point is why did it take so long for something so simple to arrive? Arrived 19th July.

Kegland. I ordered two packets of o rings paid for on 7th July with the cost of postage way in excess of the cost of the o rings. My point is why did it take so long for something so simple to arrive? Arrived 19th July.
All postal services are slow at the moment with covid. Yes it's a pain but it can't be changed by Kegland.

Because Scotty from marketing is out to destroy Auspost so he can sell it of to his mates for pennies.

Every time there's a lockdown/restrictions, people get online, buy stuff, and get it posted. Either because they can't get it and remain within the rules, or because they're stuck at home and bored.

As your parcel would have had to go from Victoria (in lockdown therefore busy), through NSW (in lockdown therefore busy) before getting to QLD (restrictions therefore busy), chances are delivery is going to take a while.

Yes I would tend to agree with you guys. We really need to focus more on improving site speed. I will talk to our web designers about this and get this prioritised. Yes I often find the google searching our page is faster than using our own internal search function.
It's my experience that web designers don't always have that much on the ball with databases. Does the website connect to your own stock control DB, or do they utilise some sort of extraction mechanism? And if they are using your DB, is your stock control application slow as well?
It could be that you just need some queries tuned, or a new index or two to get the site humming. Normal links seem fine, so it's unlikely to be the web server hardware that's deficient. Much more likely the database end.
It looks like your website is be located in California, so I do hope it's not connecting to your own DB, or that would certainly cause some latency, not to mention security concerns.
Looking at the source code of a couple of pages, I'm glad I'm not maintaining it. All the inline CSS and inline images in BASE64. Nasty. Possibly something to do with the Magento/PHP platform it was apparently created in.

It's my experience that web designers don't always have that much on the ball with databases. Does the website connect to your own stock control DB, or do they utilise some sort of extraction mechanism? And if they are using your DB, is your stock control application slow as well?
It could be that you just need some queries tuned, or a new index or two to get the site humming. Normal links seem fine, so it's unlikely to be the web server hardware that's deficient. Much more likely the database end.
It looks like your website is be located in California, so I do hope it's not connecting to your own DB, or that would certainly cause some latency, not to mention security concerns.
Looking at the source code of a couple of pages, I'm glad I'm not maintaining it. All the inline CSS and inline images in BASE64. Nasty. Possibly something to do with the Magento/PHP platform it was apparently created in.
Yeah that's what I thought too.....:)

Website seems to be served via CloudFlare and is very responsive when the page has been recently visited. Latency is as low as 10ms for me here in Sydney, so it's no problem on the CloudFlare side of things. If you choose an odd page that may not have been loaded recently, you're looking at 6 to 7 seconds before a response comes back (which is glacial in web terms). A subsequent refresh appears to be fast. I've never managed an eCommerce site before, but my guess is either the backend cache (Redis or similar) needs tweaking, or the db needs a look at and some extra indexes added. Cache or no cache, the db shouldn't be that slow.

There's also 13,000 lines of CSS (when non-minified) included inline on all page loads. I'm no CSS guru but that seems quite excessive, it should be moved to its own file to take advantage of local caching. Even then it still seems like an awful lot of CSS for this site and can probably do with a massive cleanup.

@KegLand-com-au

1) You mentioned before you would consider creating a predrilled all-rounder lid that suits a thermowell - is this still on the cards?

2) How far are you off the new FC quick disconnect? I, as I'm sure do others, have a pretty big demand for the FC disconnect, specifically for soda water dispensing and portable keg tap systems

3) Have you tested your duotight one way check valves with water at reasonably high pressure (30-40psi)? I have your soda water reactor lid fitted and the entire setup is working well except your duotight one way check valves are letting water past into the gas line (yes the arrow direction is pointing towards the keg). I have taken it into the shop and had someone pull it apart and it was fine, I even purchased another duotight check valve when in store and tested it when I got home and had the same issue. I've literally had 2 regulators suffer water damage because of this. What's equally baffling is how water is actually getting back in the gas line - I've had my soda water reactor lid tested and no issues were identified (water stops dispensing when it should). I've just bought your integrated check valve DC and am hoping that will solve the issue.

Last edited:
Oh, and I agree with others, please fix the website. It's hot garbage.

30 seconds to load a page in 2021 is laughable (particularly for an online shop!)

Will the poppets and springs for the new disconnects be interchangeable with std ones? Just thinking about managing another set of spares.

Aus post has problems I use other couriers when ever possible.
I get items from America quicker than Victoria.

Aus post has problems I use other couriers when ever possible.
I get items from America quicker than Victoria.
I ordered a carton of wine on the 21st to be delivered by Australia Post. It arrived today 23rd July. I think there maybe more to this issue other than blaming COVID.

Just a suggestion for the Fermzilla setup:
I've been finding it extremely hard to get the bottom collection canister off my unit. I'm putting that much force on it I'm scared either the strap wrench or the canister is going to break . The canister actually flexes in and I know it's not the most flexible plastic. Yes I lube the thread and o-ring each time. I might try a different product next time.
My suggestion is to put some ribs on the collection canister like the ones that are on the lid. This will give the strap wrench more to grab hold of and it wil also add strength to the canister.
This is my only issue I've come across in the 10 brews I've done so far.

Yes that is a fair point. I will take that to the other guys and see what they think. We have also been considering a different tool as well that would possibly make the job a little easier.

Was this with Australia post as well? We have been getting some other customers comment about Australia post being quite alow. The Aus Post express service is still quite good but I think many of our customers are having more luck with the Direct Freight Service that we also offer as an alternative.

Every time there's a lockdown/restrictions, people get online, buy stuff, and get it posted. Either because they can't get it and remain within the rules, or because they're stuck at home and bored.

As your parcel would have had to go from Victoria (in lockdown therefore busy), through NSW (in lockdown therefore busy) before getting to QLD (restrictions therefore busy), chances are delivery is going to take a while.

Yes I would agree with that too. The lockdowns are causing some major issues for Aus Post in particular.

Will the poppets and springs for the new disconnects be interchangeable with std ones? Just thinking about managing another set of spares.

We did not really design them to be backward compatible but I did try it out and it seemed to work. The price is quite low for these new duotight ball lock disconnects so I would have thought it would just be easier to purchase a whole new disconnect.

Back