Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, So let me get something straight here. I am one of those long time lurkers and this is my first post but it is one that I felt I need to share because I have garnered so much from this community in the way of help, ideas and inspiration even despite the fact I have never actively asked for it.

As a back-story, I live on one of those areas which is susceptible to those things that are now generally referred to as "rain events". You know, those ones where you are going calmly about your day when all of a sudden you are bombarded with about a year's worth of rain in like 5 minutes. That sort of thing. So that happened to me and we needed to replace our kitchen benchtop. Stone was the way to go and I saw my chance.
I put it to the Minister for Fun that perhaps now would be as good an opportunity as ever for me to install a tap in the bench. I love brewing, but I hate bottling, it's a good hobby for me, it saves on buying beer heaps, it's good for the environment in that it cuts down waste etc etc. Well, bugger me, she said ok. So off I went with my design phase. I already had a vague idea on how I wanted it to look and be implemented based on a post I had seen from user called donburke who I don't believe is active anymore.

For reference this was his post:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/235-kegging-setups/?p=852652

Beautiful setup, mouthwatering flooded font poking out of a recessed stone drip tray which had drainage plumbed in and some nice equipment driving it.

So I had my baseline. I didn't have enough cupboard space upstairs to be bale to put a glycol coolant system but I do have a sub floor. So I figured: Flooded font upstairs on kitchen bench, recessed drip tray with tube going from the hole in the stone to the waste outlet pipe in the kitchen sink and then beer python leading down to a keezer and glycol bath in the sub floor of the house. In the end, that is exactly how it happened. Behold!

First the collar for the keezer, small child for scale:
2016-09-10 10.15.08.jpg

Done!
2016-09-10 11.43.33_new_9.jpg

Insert font into new stone benchtop recess:
2016-10-28 00.22.40_new_1.jpg

Drill drainage hole:
2016-11-04 14.05.39_new_1.jpg

Plumb drainage tube into sink waste via silicone tube:
2016-11-04 14.04.28_new_1.jpg

Set up the den of liquid pleasures:
2016-11-22 14.24.19.jpg

2016-11-22 14.26.05.jpg

2016-11-22 14.25.27.jpg

The setup goes:
Gas from a 6kg cylinder with dual reg (one if I want to force carb down there or dispense at a different pressure);
Gas through 4-way manifold, into the keezer (tiny bit of armaflex to keep lines together and provide some air leakage protection);
Kegs in keezer at 5oC ....
Beer line out through small armaflex into an Icemaster G40 Glycol chilling system set at -2.7oC;
Beer line plus glycol send and return line exiting through Andale 4+2 32mm insulated Beer python;
Up through my sub-floor and the carcass of the cabinetry of the kitchen cupboard and into the tubing of the flooded three-tap cobra font.

To get this:
2016-11-17 17.30.18_new_1.jpg

and

2016-11-18 20.06.00_new_1.jpg

So there you have it. I have no skills in designing remote draw draught systems. The AHB community (albeit unwittingly!) has been my saviour here, as has a bit of YouTube here and there. The system works flawlessly. I have a 3 tap system but my keezer can store 4 kegs so I have 3 on tap and one carbing up. I have the Icemaster plugged into a WeMo power switch so I can switch it on and off from wherever I am in the world and it is on a timer so it is most definitely on when I get home from work and switches off at midnight (this can be overruled, obviously!)

It was an amazing build for me and a great achievement. I couldn't say it wasn't without its hiccups but that was all part of the fun. If anyone else out there is looking to do something similar or has any questions, I'd be more than happy to help out if I can.

Cheers and good tidings in this merry season to you all!
:beer:

Struth mate, you take lurking to the extreme...

Massively excellent outcome!

Might need a bit of a flowrate test run. You live near me I'm-a hoping..

[emoji12]

Great work with the stone too! Very nice touch!

Awesome setup, looks similar to what I did earlier in the year, although mine is a little more agricultural. I made a glycol system out of an air conditioner, it works well but is a little noisy when running. How noisy is the G40?

I currently have laminex benchtops with a stainless drip tray mounted on top. I will renovate the kitchen soon and will get stone benchtops. I am trying to decide whether to have the stone bench recessed or incorporate my current drip tray. With the recessed option I am worried about splashing and not having the perforated try to sit the glasses on. Do you find this and issue?

Well happy new year to you all. Thanks for the kind comments.

The Icemaster G40 is pretty quiet. Not as quiet as a fridge but quieter than one on of those old window A/C units. I don't hear it because it's under the house.

trevgale said:
I currently have laminex benchtops with a stainless drip tray mounted on top. I will renovate the kitchen soon and will get stone benchtops. I am trying to decide whether to have the stone bench recessed or incorporate my current drip tray. With the recessed option I am worried about splashing and not having the perforated try to sit the glasses on. Do you find this and issue?
I toyed with the idea of getting a s/s insert for the recess to sit glasses on but how it turned out works fine. I don't have any issues with splashing. That said, if it is not going to be possible to incorporate a drainage hole, you would need the drip tray. Just on the recess though, my original discussions with kitchen guy revolved around a ground out recess but it turned out they could only have made it about 6mm deep and couldn't guarantee its strength. So they ended up cutting a big hole out and epoxying another slab of stone underneath. Much better idea.

XaxisYcross,

Fantastic job there and an awesome first post!
I'm currently trying vainly to resist buying some flooded fonts after drooling over your setup.

Looking forward to your next post.

Finally got around to putting up some pictures of the newish beer fridge.

Have had the taps, kegs and fittings for six months, however my old chest freezer died, so had to wait until we got a new inside fridge.

Fits four kegs, but it's a tight squeeze.

The perlick FC taps are brilliant and the only real issue I've had is the taps heating up in the hot weather, meaning the first 100mL of beer is foam until the taps cool down. I've solved this by keeping a cup of near freezing water in the freezer, and dipping the tap in the water prior to pouring a glass.

Was ready in time for christmas.

IMG_2393.JPG

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2386.JPG

IMG_2387.JPG

XaxisYcross said:
Well happy new year to you all. Thanks for the kind comments.

The Icemaster G40 is pretty quiet. Not as quiet as a fridge but quieter than one on of those old window A/C units. I don't hear it because it's under the house.
</expurgated>
I have a glass door fridge under my house (under and between 2 bedrooms) and it's a noisy ******* that occasionally wakes me up. I assume your G40 is quieter than my Medisafe 381 fridge. (fits my Conical fermentor, and was very cheap).

My keezer is not in current use due to the last flood and its negative effect on floating the keezer and kegs. Not to mention the filth on my fonts. Thinking of moving the keezer to my back veranda, but need new decking timber first, I'm afraid.

JDW81 said:
The perlick FC taps are brilliant and the only real issue I've had is the taps heating up in the hot weather, meaning the first 100mL of beer is foam until the taps cool down. I've solved this by keeping a cup of near freezing water in the freezer, and dipping the tap in the water prior to pouring a glass.
This is brilliant and an idea I will pinch. Cheers!

JDW81 said:
So simple. Thanks for the tip!

Might try that water trick myself too. I've tried similar things of trying to wrap those ice packs around the taps but it's too cumbersome. A glass of water will fit nicely in the kegerator between the two front kegs too.

Rocker1986 said:
Might try that water trick myself too. I've tried similar things of trying to wrap those ice packs around the taps but it's too cumbersome. A glass of water will fit nicely in the kegerator between the two front kegs too.
I find that a frozen zooper dooper fits nicely between my lines in the triple-tap kegerator font - it did a great job on those 35+ degree days last week

fdsaasdf said:
I find that a frozen zooper dooper fits nicely between my lines in the triple-tap kegerator font - it did a great job on those 35+ degree days last week
I imagine that'd be a lot easier in one of the standard type fonts. I have a flooded font on mine now so it's rather a PITA to get anything up inside it :lol:

It does seem to stay cooler inside the font without any help than the old one did though. I have a small water reservoir at the back of the kegerator that I normally pump through the font, but the pump decided to stop working a week or two ago - right after I put fuckin two full kegs in in front of it. Meh. It can stay in there doing nothing until they're emptied, then I'll have a look at it.

Hey JDW81 have you used clear vinyl tubing to connect your beer and gas lines and if yes how have you found it works?

Rocker1986 said:
I imagine that'd be a lot easier in one of the standard type fonts. I have a flooded font on mine now so it's rather a PITA to get anything up inside it :lol:

It does seem to stay cooler inside the font without any help than the old one did though. I have a small water reservoir at the back of the kegerator that I normally pump through the font, but the pump decided to stop working a week or two ago - right after I put fuckin two full kegs in in front of it. Meh. It can stay in there doing nothing until they're emptied, then I'll have a look at it.
That's always the way. My font fan decided to dislodge and end up in a really annoying place, but I didn't notice until I'd just loaded 3 full kegs in the fridge (which is in a corner under an ironbark slab). Some choice words were used!

Latest posts

Back