Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BKBrews said:
OK Help me get my head around something.

Let's say I force carb a keg to 2.5 volumes, using 12psi over a 2 week period. Once it reaches that max volume (2.5), can I disconnect it and it will stay carbed? Or will the CO2 come out of solution? Sorry if this is glaringly obvious to most people..

I'm only asking because I am shipping my Keezer off to my parents for Christmas, so my plan is to turn off the fridge, let it settle for 48 hours, take everything out of it, transport it, let it settle for 48 hours, hook it all back up and get it going again. I wanna know whether I can transport it 3 - 4 days before Christmas just to cool again, or whether I need to try and set it up earlier to ensure its properly carbed.
Also been answered well, but a simple way to think of it is that you are putting a mass of CO2 into the keg, provided it is all sealed that mass of CO2, just like the beer, cannot disappear (however some very tasty kegs seem to defy this physics at my place!!).

The balance of how much CO2 is in solution is a relationship between the temperature of the kegs and the pressure which will change depending on whatever temperature. So as stated, if you bring the keg back to the same temp is was carbed at it will be the same carbonation.

BKBrews said:
I'm super confused... My 650SS taps have the flow control facing forward - how did you get yours/why are they facing the back?
Disassemble the flow control by unscrewing the lever, taking off the nut, screw lever back in and rotate around the other way, then remove the level, replace the nut and replace the level. Bingo.

I did this so the lever was out of the way when pouring as with thin Spiegelau glasses I was concerned someone or myself would chip the glasses on the lever. Works a treat.

Got some labels made up, and they are looking sweet! Just in time for my uber late Oktoberfest party. 2016-10-27 20.20.32.jpg

Did you take a pic of the logo prototype in red on the fridge as a concept - "Im thinking something like this......"

Hehe

Just kidding, nice work they look great. The stick on one on the fridge is a cracking idea too - Where did you get them made up?

Just finishing my Keezer build. I had been putting off the udea for a while but we decided some extra bench space in/just outside the kitchen so I built some bench space with benefits.

The top is a 1450x600x26 thick piece from an acacia laminate board from bunnings with a tinted oil based varnish. I put a fair bit of effort into getting a reasonable finish on the top. I still plan on wet and drying it flat and bringing it to a semigloss finish once fully cured. It could be considered finished now but I want to get rid of the imperfections and brushstrokes. The idea is that the top can migrate to another chesty if this one dies.

I used a piece of pvc to pass through the lid/top and I extended it to just below the taps. the space between the pvc and folt was insulated and sealed with foam. I've put in a font fan the lines as cool as possible.

The gas bottle is outside the keezer and fits nicely under the overhang of the top. The gas line and power for the font fan housed in a bit of beer line filled with silicone. Grommets were used to seal the lines coming in the rear of the lid. These lines enter at the hole in the lid for the font.

I'm not all that happy with the taps, seems that the flow restrictor mechanism is too close to the shank and hits it too early on one of the taps and doesnt open up enough when fully open. The taps were half price so I cant complain too much and took into account that I may want to replace them with something better when I bought them. Does anyone have experience with this style flow restricting taps? Are they worth persevering with?

The chesty was sprayed with a hammer tone rattlecan which was dead easy.

2016-10-27 23.00.23.jpg

2016-10-27 23.06.00.jpg

2016-10-27 23.03.52.jpg

2016-10-27 23.04.45.jpg

Aus_Rider_22 said:
Nice setup @black_labb! What brand are the taps?
Thanks

Taps don't have a brand which is the first flag. I've seen them in a few places online but bought them locally. Here they are > http://www.thebrewshop.com.au/beer-tap-flow-restrictor

I've got a couple kegs in there that I'll be drinking tonight. They've been carbed and cold for 12 days in the other fridge so they should be nice and ready.

black_labb said:
Thanks

Taps don't have a brand which is the first flag. I've seen them in a few places online but bought them locally. Here they are > http://www.thebrewshop.com.au/beer-tap-flow-restrictor

I've got a couple kegs in there that I'll be drinking tonight. They've been carbed and cold for 12 days in the other fridge so they should be nice and ready.
Thanks mate. Have an Intertap setup coming my way and was worried that's what you weren't happy with! Happy brewing and kegging :)

Mr B said:
Did you take a pic of the logo prototype in red on the fridge as a concept - "Im thinking something like this......"

Hehe

Just kidding, nice work they look great. The stick on one on the fridge is a cracking idea too - Where did you get them made up?
Got them made at the Blue Shed in Singleton. They are made of trefolyte and use a tiny bit of blue tac to hold them on

Dae Tripper said:
Got them made at the Blue Shed in Singleton. They are made of trefolyte and use a tiny bit of blue tac to hold them on
Hehe nice, thanks. I assumed magnetic, but there you go, the magic bluetac, nice work.

Cheers

Edit: Magic is not majic

Has anyone seen these kegs before?
I'm yet to see this in the flesh but was sent this photo today.

Brother in law has a couple of them from when he used to manage a pub back in the day.

Will hopefully inspect over the next month or so

1478501020106.jpg

Yes they are aluminium. Apparently they have Pluto guns and some connections hidden away deep in the shed.
It's taken him 12 months to find this one haha

No me either.
They were filled up from CUB kegs, hired out for 24hrs. For that use they'd be more than fine at the sacrifice of left over beer

I have a similar one that I have been trying to get working but last time I tried was still having some issues with it sealing.

I would only use it to fill off another keg and take to a party etc so wouldn't be too worried about it being aluminum.

I'm in the process of buying a kegging set up and found some 23 L kegs from Clever Brewing. They have an invalid phone number. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with them. Need to know if this is a legitimate business.

Morrie said:
I'm in the process of buying a kegging set up and found some 23 L kegs from Clever Brewing. They have an invalid phone number. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with them. Need to know if this is a legitimate business.
do you mean the site sponsor store based in Victoria? If so Martin Oc is a member here and runs the store top bloke and great service.

Morrie said:
Hi Morrie,

Clever Brewing is definitely a legit. business.

Phone number is (03) 9017 4140. If the warehouse is unattended, it diverts to my mobile. However, I'm not umbilically attached to my phone, or it might ring when I'm half way up a mountain in a mobile black spot, so just leave a message & I'll get back to you when I get the message.

FYI, we shipped the last of our current stocks of those 23L kegs on Wednesday & I'm not sure when we'll get a new supply.

Shoot us a support email from the website & we'll put your name/email on a priority-contact backorders list (ie. you get to know stuff is back in stock before anyone else does).

Cheers,

Martin

Clever Brewing Bloke said:
Hi Morrie,

Clever Brewing is definitely a legit. business.

Phone number is (03) 9017 4140. If the warehouse is unattended, it diverts to my mobile. However, I'm not umbilically attached to my phone, or it might ring when I'm half way up a mountain in a mobile black spot, so just leave a message & I'll get back to you when I get the message.

FYI, we shipped the last of our current stocks of those 23L kegs on Wednesday & I'm not sure when we'll get a new supply.

Shoot us a support email from the website & we'll put your name/email on a priority-contact backorders list (ie. you get to know stuff is back in stock before anyone else does).

Cheers,

Martin
G'day Martin,
I tried your number several times and I got a telstra type response more or less stating that the number was invalid. It did not go through to any answering service. Anyway, nice to meet you on here. I'm interested in those 23 litre kegs but not if there is some uncertainty about an arrival date. "Not sure" could mean 1 week, 1 month or 1 year. If I can't get any sort of time frame I'll just buy some 19 litre ones locally. I am always hesitant to use those web based queries as I've sent many of them to businesses in the past that have never been replied to. I did send you an email directly to your email address though.

Regards,
Morrie

Well here it is.
Could just see the bottom and it looks pretty bad. Pitted and some black score marks.

1479286247523.jpg

1479286258996.jpg

1479286272187.jpg

1479286282553.jpg

Latest posts

Back