My perfect 9L portable keg setup!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowbloke

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just had to share when i managed to make my perfect 9L portable keg set up with minimal effort, dead easy, looked clean and minimal hacking into stuff.
A long time reader and thought it would be time to contribute. I couldn't seem to spot the thread about portable setups, seems that links were broken so forgive me in advance.

I've spent ages trying to find straight forward clean looking solution and when looking at other setups i found that it didn't always meet my needs.

Why is this perfect for me? I had some requirements
- Fits 9L keg
- Roller / Wheels
- Accessible tap
- easy to clean
- Durable

This is the setup
I mounted an old tower i had ontop of an Igloo 5 gallon roller cooler
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 6.21.29 PM (1).jpeg

Drilled a PVC pipe to the side that easily snapped soda stream bottle with a mini regulator
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 6.21.29 PM.jpeg

I popped in a pre-chilled and carbonated 9L keg
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 6.21.30 PM (1).jpeg

Fill up with ice and done!

So far it was a straight forward setup. This already ticked all of my boxes. However, the stars magically aligned for me and unplanned benefits appeared when i tested it.

UNEXPECTED BONUS: The tower fits perfectly between the trolley handle so there is no drama opening the lid of the cooler
ezgif-3-cba17a73f82b.gif

UNEXPECTED BONUS: When the ice melted, i just simply let out the water from the existing tap. and topped up with ice again (if you want to punish people, serve it as ice cold water if you wish!)
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 6.21.29 PM (1).jpeg

UNEXPECTED BONUS: I expected the lid to be annoying to clean due it being hollow. I felt there will be dramas having beer line go through it and the plan was to use gap filler. magically the added bonus, was there is a small design dent where the base is fused to the top. meaning the hole i drilled through for the beer line didn't expose any of the internal space of the lid. Bonus points for easy cleaning
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 6.21.30 PM (2).jpeg

So there you have it. super simple and clean setup. I hope this is helpful to those many questions i see about making a quick easy portable setup.

This cooler is an Igloo Sport 5 Gallon Roller Water Jug (Sport 5 Gallon Roller Water Jug). I purchased my cooler from Costco in Victoria. I seen it come in and out of stock twice in the last few years. The rest of the parts are straight forward and you can get from your favourite brew shop.

Last edited:
**** thats brilliant....

I have a rubber maid no rollers but I reckon I could just get a trolley for it. You've inspired me big time!

Going to be doing something similar very soon (when all the parts arrive). Thanks for sharing!

Looks amazing. I'm going to put this together soon. What line ID & length do you use? Also what do you usually use for serving pressure?

Latest posts

Back