Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheWiggman said:
If they are Aussie built they're built here in Orange actually, at Electrolux. Until they close down next year and manufacture offshore, despite still being profitable here. A real shame.
This is a bit off topic but hey... Australia, the dumb country... Very sad indeed as Aussies can produce world-quality stuff, but companies have this whole "off-shoring mantra" at the moment :(

Did you know that when NASA needed the Rolls-Royce engines on their 747 Space Shuttle carrier, that they sent them to the Qantas RR engine shop in Sydney for a tune up... and that Rolls Royce were so impressed with the reliability of the Qantas engines that they send engineers out from England to learn what they were doing differently!! Of course, this has all been shut down and outsourced to Asia now :(

Cheers,
Matt

Some good farming land about 70 km north of here has been sold to a Saudi Arabian company.
Pisses me right off.

Also Leighton Holdings sold all of John Holland to the "China Communications Construction Company" for $1.15billion..

:(

A Metric Shit Ton on farming land including some of our biggest cattle/sheep/cropping stations and grain plant/abattoirs have been sold OS. And now farmers prices are being dictated at sale as there is no competition anymore between buyers.

But anyway, how about them Kegging Setups!!!

My little set up ATM...
Upside down fridge with 3 taps (at the moment may upgrade to 5) can holds 6 kegs + extras (Wine, bottles and cans) to keep the mrs semi happy!
Big arse drip tray (Thanks to acarey! )
Running white rabbit dark ale, vale ale and apple cider atm. Interior picture to come

1426848655756.jpg

My keezer finally set up and ready to go. Will fit 5 kegs plus the gas bottle internal when I'm finished plus a couple of cartons/long necks above the compressor compartment. The wood is Merbau, decided just to build the whole collar out of it rather than pine with a hard wood cladding. Have the STC set to -1 to 2 degrees (showing 3 as I just had it open).

When complete i'll have 4 taps, a bottle opener on one side and hopefully an old brass/stainless thermometer on the other side. Pics to follow when that all happens.

Well hope you enjoy my pics. Now just to wait for my first kegged beer to age and then it's drinking time.

DSC_0287.JPG

DSC_0288.JPG

DSC_0289.JPG

DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0291.JPG

DSC_0292.JPG

Here is a couple pics of my setup. Have mounted the tap in the door shelf.

did not want to put a hole in the door as this is only a temporay setup untill i get a keezer built. Using a perlick 650ss - had a bit of trouble with it only pouring foam to start off with but it was caused by the line not pushed all the way in the john guest shank adapter

1.jpg

2.jpg

Just added the drip tray.
I love it, dunno why...it's just a drip tray !
Sometimes something so simple makes you smile.
Cheers.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1429940152.902184.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430120664.945758.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430120726.941354.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430120762.527277.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430120831.844805.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430120899.495467.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430120935.680909.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430121013.889864.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430121046.753147.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430121166.066746.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430121839.437402.jpg

A pic tells a thousand words so I hope you can see what I've done here?!?
Andale flooded font with floryte taps (ebay) mounted on the the deck. Directly under the deck I placed an old fridge. (460ltr I think)
Fridge holds 4 x Cornelius kegs.
Freezer holds 20 ltr jerry on its side with an in and outlet plumbed into it. Running from the jerry the glycol/water runs through a copper heat exchanger (from an instantaneous gas hot water system) then out the side of the freezer and down to a continuous flow 240v pump (non self priming) (self priming was to noisy). Where I mounted it allows it to self prime should the power cut off. The out side of the pump carrying the chilled water runs directly up to the inlet side of the font. Where the beer lines exit the fridge I wrapped them (and zippy tied) around the chilled line from the pump. That way the beer is cooled in the fridge then as soon as it exits it remains chilled by the chilled line running from the pump to the font. When I plumbed it I insulated everything. The hotter water exiting the font (still chilled) comes back down to the freezer via its own insulated line through the side of the freezer and into the the keg. Then the whole things starts it journey again!

Works very well, only advise I can give is originally I only had the jerry in the freezer as the resevoir/ heat exchange and it worked well, however the addition of the copper heat exchanger made it much more efficient ie 7deg pour down to abou
4deg.
Also originally I only had a small drip tray under the taps and not the font as well. Big mistake as I vastly underestimated the amount of condensation it produced and fiqure did id replacing deck boards in a couple years (about 1-2ltrs a day ! / constantly wet!)
Insulation is reasonably cheap so I used plenty to keep the load on the fridge as low as possible (as low as you can when you bolt a giant heat sink into it aka the font!)

On tap at the moment is an IPA, Rauchbier, Knappstien lager clone and Soda water.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430121680.225388.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430121680.225388.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 135
Nice. Is it actually going to run glycol or are you skimping out for salt water?

She's running glycol ratio 1:10. I found some on eBay and figured it's cheap insurance if the pump fails so the water doesn't freeze in the hx and jerry. Just make sure you use the food safe variety "propylene" in case of any failures / cross overs etc

HI All - Just in the midst of building a keezer. Picked up a cheap second hand freezer so spent spent some money on 3 Perlick 650SS taps.

Only issue I'd like some help on is the length and diameter of gas/beer lines. Gas I guess doesn't matter but I just want to make sure I get close for the beer lines.

I ordered 10m of 6mm and 4mm line as I was under the impression that beer line is 4mm and gas 6mm but the homebrew shop has these labeled the other way. Thoughts on this??? I was looking at 3m length beer line to the taps of 4mm.

Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Back