Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was under the impression it was just the design of those freezers not a specific alteration they made to them

Yes,thinking about I have seen freezers lined with unfinished metal,most of them in shops for ice cream freezers but not a "home " freezer.
Probably a cosmetic thing,couldn't see any women wanting a steel lined freezer in their home,wouldn't look right.
Stainless steel clad freezer/fridge but not internally.
I guess the manufacturers have done their home work on this, so the inside is painted.

Edit; just asked my wife if she would have a " steel " lined freezer and she said no,it doesn't look right.
Who says a bloke knows nothing about women ! ;)

spog said:
Edit; just asked my wife if she would have a " steel " lined freezer and she said no,it doesn't look right.
Who says a bloke knows nothing about women ! ;)
It has to look white like ice.

The white makes it colder just like red cars go faster. Sheeeesh everybody knows that. ;)

For those who want to fit drip trays and not drill the freezer - Could consider sikaflexing a bit of timber etc (or even channel) to the freezer, and fix to that.

Commonly used in boats :)

Cheers

Mr B said:
For those who want to fit drip trays and not drill the freezer - Could consider sikaflexing a bit of timber etc (or even channel) to the freezer, and fix to that.

Cheers
And if left to set properly drip tray could probably be used as a seat as well

Kingy said:
The cheap freezers come standard with that silver look. Its like thick aluninium foil insulation stuff. Definitely not as good as the hard white painted internals.
Yep, cheap,nasty and disposable ,oh how I yearn for the good old days...umm what is made in Oz these days.....

Sikaflex ,yep it's good stuff,just have to prop/ tape the tray etc in place,but once Sikaflex is set it's the go gear.
Pricey but well worth the $.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425852131.933361.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425852263.724798.jpg

Fully wired in stc1000

5 way manifold so I have a spare disconnect for force carbing/soda water

For those discussing metal interiors, mine is stainless steel on the inside. That might however be due to it being 20yrs old and Aussie made. It's not that cheap foil stuff but polished stainless and it looks awesome for a keezer. Gives a real wow factor when you open the lid.

MCW said:
For those discussing metal interiors, mine is stainless steel on the inside. That might however be due to it being 20yrs old and Aussie made. It's not that cheap foil stuff but polished stainless and it looks awesome for a keezer. Gives a real wow factor when you open the lid.
Yep, them were the days. My old Simpson Tuckerbox was polished stainless inside. Easily cleaned and a relatively poor conductor of heat.

All 3 of my remaining brewery fridges/freezers are Westinghouse which, AFAIK, are still Australian built.

If they are Aussie built they're built here in Orange actually, at Electrolux. Until they close down next year and manufacture offshore, despite still being profitable here. A real shame.

I can finally post something here! Had to get a new drill as my old ozito is a pos. Anyway all fridge fisher and paykel, 2 x perlick 650ss, 2 x chalkboard stickers. Now to get the beast out of the garage and into the kitchen, lounge, dining area!

1426120344542.jpg

1426120362183.jpg

crowmanz said:
Now to get the beast out of the garage and into the kitchen, lounge, dining area!
Your biggest challenge to date..

sponge said:
Just bring SWMBO onto the design process, if it meets approval you'll be fine.

I tend to get her to think it is her idea and whatdaya know? All sorted.

sponge said:

Tahoose said:
Just bring SWMBO onto the design process, if it meets approval you'll be fine.

I tend to get her to think it is her idea and whatdaya know? All sorted.
One of the (few) good things about the GF getting teaching job 2hrs away and living in teacher housing there is that it is my house now! ahaha just need to sort a spot out :)

Tahoose, this is how I attached my drip tray.

Piece of ply cut for the base with 2 triangles cut for the supports. I went full length so it offers maximum support to the outside (leverage) and also offers greater surface area for the Marine sikaflex used to attach it.
Used some 12mm moulding and mitred to tidy it up on the top and for the tray to sit on and painted it.
I then lay the freezer day and let gravity hold it in place while the sika dried.

I expect it would hold 3 full schooners with ease.

IMAG0997.jpg

IMAG1006.jpg

Back