Just doughed in my first AG!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ80

Reaction score
Smells bloody amazing! Hit 66.1C - those strike water calculators are pretty damn spot on!

Now the waiting begins...

A good 90 min mash will make clear beer. My 60 min mash has heaps of chill haze.

Cheers

Set your timer and settle back with a beer or two.

I'm building a biab rig but I'm worried about the volume I need to produce.. I drink about 30ltrs a week but I want to make 40ltrs of wort at a time... How big of an urn will I need anyone?

Urns only go to 40L which is an ideal size to do a 23L brew. For larger batches you would really need something like a keggle.

However it's not difficult to "piggy back" a brew using an esky, in which you mash a second batch while the first BIAB batch is boiling in the urn, then boil the second batch when the urn is free.

chewy said:
I'm building a biab rig but I'm worried about the volume I need to produce.. I drink about 30ltrs a week but I want to make 40ltrs of wort at a time... How big of an urn will I need anyone?

I would start a separate thread, as I think you will have more question for your build.

AJ80 said:
Smells bloody amazing! Hit 66.1C - those strike water calculators are pretty damn spot on!

Now the waiting begins...

Welcome to the dark side, we have cookies

Just got the first hop addition in, smells great!

Had a minor problem with a stuck sparge right at the end of the sparge. Farted around a bit and it was only 1L of wort...looked pretty clear after running it back through the grain bed (not sure if I'm supposed to do this...) and stuck it in the keggle.

@QldKev - an extra camping mat seems to have done the trick. No issues with a rolling boil now.

Also fired up the element once the first runnings were in the pot and when the sparge was draining in, this took my 'bring to the boil' time down to about 15 mins once the sparge was finished.

About to empty the mash tun and then it's time for a beer!

DU99 said:
and what type of beer are we making.
As I am a unique butterfly like everyone else, have gone with DrSmurto's golden ale...

The main reason (apart from it being a killer beer) is that it was also my first full extract brew and I've still got two long necks left of it. Wanted to do a side by side comparison of full extract vs AG.

Will post a photo of the stand I knocked up with my bro in-law later tonight when I'm all done.

AJ80 said:
As I am a unique butterfly like everyone else, have gone with DrSmurto's golden ale...
The main reason (apart from it being a killer beer) is that it was also my first full extract brew and I've still got two long necks left of it. Wanted to do a side by side comparison of full extract vs AG.
I'd be interested to hear the result of the side by side. Mind you the extract will have conditioned longer.

Well all done and cubed up. Bit of a trub issue dealing with the dead space in the keggle - will definitely have to arrange some sort pick up tube as I lost just under 4L this way.

Had a bit of a stuck sparge right at the end and there was a little liquid still in the mash tun when I cleaned it out - about a litre and a half or so.

Was aiming to get 22L into the cube, but reckon I ended up with about 18L - will find out exactly when I pitch tomorrow night.

The expected OG for this one was supposed to be 1.046, but ended up with 1.053. I had set my efficiency at 70%, 'loss to trub and chiller' at 2L and boil off rate at 10% in brewmate. Would my overshooting of the OG be a case of a better efficiency than I had expected? Playing with brewmate I may have achieved 80% - is this correct?

Cheers guys.

AJ

Latest posts

Back