First AG Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did my first brew on a 40ltr Guten, a West Coast IPA.

Brew day went well, aside from only having 17ltrs into the pressure fermenter. I suspect I calculated my water ratios wrong.....

Anyway, OG was 1.060 - pitched 1 x lallemand Nottingham yeast at 18c. Fermentation seemed to start fairly quickly, around 12 hours or so.

After 2 days, ramped up to 20c - checked reading on day 7 (1.020) and then on day 10 (1.016).

Does this seem a little slow or do I let it go on to reach the desired 1.012?

P.s - anyone have a profile in Brewfather for the Guten 40ltr?

Even Notty will struggle with that sort of OG, 2 packets would have been the way to go, in saying that you have acheived a reasonable attenuation with just 1 packet. I would leave it a few days until it really bottoms out. I do have a profile for the 40 but not for brewfather but I would think all you need is to measure the dead space, also did you pump out or use the tap as the tap will leave about 2 litres behind. I would add 3 litres either to your mash tun deadspace I'm pretty sure it's about 6.5 litres from tap to bottom of the mash tun. All up I think the Guten 40 has 9.5 litres of dead space.

Some very basic numbers for your profile
Grain absorption- 1L per kg
Boil off 3L per hour
Dead space 6.6L
Trub loss 2L
Pay attention to these measurements and fine tune your profile

I did my first brew on a 40ltr Guten, a West Coast IPA.

Brew day went well, aside from only having 17ltrs into the pressure fermenter. I suspect I calculated my water ratios wrong.....

Anyway, OG was 1.060 - pitched 1 x lallemand Nottingham yeast at 18c. Fermentation seemed to start fairly quickly, around 12 hours or so.

After 2 days, ramped up to 20c - checked reading on day 7 (1.020) and then on day 10 (1.016).

Does this seem a little slow or do I let it go on to reach the desired 1.012?

P.s - anyone have a profile in Brewfather for the Guten 40ltr?
The only profile you need is your own. The SVB no matter which one will only perform to how one uses it, it is to the individual brewer not the equipment.
What do I do? Boil like I mean it, not simmer. Expect to lose 4 to 5 litres during a good boil. Loss to grain? Cut that back by a good squeeze. What do I do? After I have lifted the grain basket I put it over a bowl I put a couple of top sieves over the top 3 pieces of timber then a 20 litre pail with 20 litres of water in it then press the the pail down using as much as my body weight as possible.
Trub left in kettle. About 4 litres for me. What do I do? tip the trub into a 4 litre jug, place jug in fridge for a few hours sometimes over night. Pour off the clear wort into a saucepan and take up to above 80C then bottle, or add back to fementer.
There are no short cuts in brewing but a few ways to extract the most out of your endeavours.

Get as much as you can out of your SVB
IMG_4485.JPG

Squeeze the bejesus out of your grain, you won't get it all but you will get a lot more than just letting it drain.
IMG_4320.JPG

Out of the 4 litres of trub left in the kettle try and get 2 litres of more clear wort, tip it in with the brew you have just done, save it for a starter, or for souring. Don't waste it!.

IMG_5780.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back