Just doughed in my first AG!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can top up in the Fermenter to get your OG into spec.

I do this all the time as I am a litre or to short most brews.

Cheers

I would say with out a doubt yes. You could also add water using a dilution calculator to achieve your OG.

Beaten to it!

My first AG was a DrSmurto golden ale, followed by nick JD mini AG

Both are in the fermenters ATM and are smelling fantastic!!!

I can't wait to bottle and try them :)

Cheers guys.

Bloody good fun this brewing caper - 5 hour brew day was only an hour longer than when I was doing full extract. No doubt this will improve next time!

Thanks again for the pointers all and sundry.

AJ

daveHQ said:
My first AG was a DrSmurto golden ale, followed by nick JD mini AG

Both are in the fermenters ATM and are smelling fantastic!!!

I can't wait to bottle and try them :)
Me too mate, me too!

AJ80 said:
Smells bloody amazing! Hit 66.1C - those strike water calculators are pretty damn spot on!
Now the waiting begins...
AJ, this is great to hear. Sounds like the day went well. Looking fwd to seeing pics of the 3v rig. Your brews will get faster as you progress, however as you've seen today it really is an enjoyable process. Some people spend 5 hours playing golf, I like to spend 5 hours brewing (or sometimes both).

Welcome to the endless journey of finding new ways to tinker with your brewing. Today I put the finishing touch on my kegging set up which I've installed in the kitchen. Only problem with beer on tap in the kitchen is that I'll need to really ramp up the self control!

Cocko said:
Pre-boiled water preferred ;)
Going to ask the big question to this - why?

Topped all my extract brews up to 23L from a 10L boil with pure Melbourne tap water and had no issues...

Not fully being a smart arse here, just keen to learn ;-)

thedragon said:
AJ, this is great to hear. Sounds like the day went well. Looking fwd to seeing pics of the 3v rig. Your brews will get faster as you progress, however as you've seen today it really is an enjoyable process. Some people spend 5 hours playing golf, I like to spend 5 hours brewing (or sometimes both).
Welcome to the endless journey of finding new ways to tinker with your brewing. Today I put the finishing touch on my kegging set up which I've installed in the kitchen. Only problem with beer on tap in the kitchen is that I'll need to really ramp up the self control!
Cheers mate, couldn't agree with you more - was quite an enjoyable afternoon. I will get a photo of my setup up soon, but I'm bloody keen to see some pics of your keg array!

Brave brave man putting beer on tap in the kitchen...

Hey, tap water is fine and many will argue why not use it...

But you have come this far and are adding water - Any reason you would not take the time to boil and have NO doubt rather than trust the tap...

Just askin...

oxygenation? about to introduce a dominant, active microbe (yeast)? Would the little bit of whatever/if pathogen is in tap water gets in matter? Kits never suffer from it... just saying. Chlorine might be an issue if there is much of it.

PS: OP, welcome to te fun-side

Cube emptied into fermenter and yeast pitched...I've made beer!

Was quite amazed at the smell coming out of the cube, comfortably better than any extract brew I've done so far.

Ended up with 18L which I diluted back to 21L (using good old fashioned Melbourne tap water). Worked out dilution using the formula (current gravity * current volume) / target gravity = target volume to end up with an OG of 1.045.

As an aside, how do people clean their cubes? I rinsed mine out three or four times and made up about 5L of sodium percarbonate which I'll leave in over night. Will rinse out tomorrow night a couple of times and then store with a litre of star San solution in it. Any apparent issues here?

Cheers,

AJ

Back