Brewing for the first time in 3 years - What to replace?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big78sam

Frequent poster - My post count is no reflection o
Reaction score
Hi all,

I haven't brewed for 3 years. BIAB in a Birko urn. I chill in a couple of the old faithful bigw 19l pots in the bath. I will be getting all new ingredients and a new tap on the fermenter. The fermenter actually had sanitiser sitting in it for 3 years. It's clean with a small amount of what looks like black mould spots on the lid thread. I'll give that a thourough clean. I'm debating buying a new fermenter but this may be my only brew for the foreseeable future. Everything else will get a thorough clean, with boiling water, napisan soak and sanitizer as appropriate.

The beer will be going in kegs. All the kegs and lines have the same treatment with a napisan solution in them for a week, them another week with starsan. I'll pull the taps apart and give them a good clean as well. The keg seals seem pretty good. They will get a good clean and a fresh coating of lube. Is there anything else you'd replace, rather than just clean?

Cheers!

Hi all,

I haven't brewed for 3 years. BIAB in a Birko urn. I chill in a couple of the old faithful bigw 19l pots in the bath. I will be getting all new ingredients and a new tap on the fermenter. The fermenter actually had sanitiser sitting in it for 3 years. It's clean with a small amount of what looks like black mould spots on the lid thread. I'll give that a thourough clean. I'm debating buying a new fermenter but this may be my only brew for the foreseeable future. Everything else will get a thorough clean, with boiling water, napisan soak and sanitizer as appropriate.

The beer will be going in kegs. All the kegs and lines have the same treatment with a napisan solution in them for a week, them another week with starsan. I'll pull the taps apart and give them a good clean as well. The keg seals seem pretty good. They will get a good clean and a fresh coating of lube. Is there anything else you'd replace, rather than just clean?

Cheers!
Is the fermenter HDPE? I had mine stored in the garage for a couple of years and the plastic went really brittle. I don't think they are very UV resistant.
Maybe fill it up with water and try lifting it.
Mine let go around the outside edge of the rim.

My first FV was over 20 years old but eventually succumbed to UV and broke up, i'd buy a new one now since they are cheap enough or just use a 25ltr cube.

Back