Is This The Next Must Have Book ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Tasting Beer by Randy Mosher

Amazon Link

# Paperback: 256 pages
# Publisher: Storey Publishing, LLC (February 1, 2009)

Beer can be light, dark, mild, strong, flat, or fizzy. Hundreds of tastes can be detected in beer, from resin to toast, and from apple to smoke. Readers will learn how to identify the scents, colors, flavors, and mouth-feel of all the major beer styles. There are also chapters on proper serving and storage conditions, and classic beer and food pairings.

The second half of the book is a style-by-style compendium of the different brews within major beer families, including American craft brews, British lagers, German ales, and Belgian Dubbels. For each style there are historical and regional facts, taste and aroma characteristics, seasonal availability, food pairings, and a few terrific recommendations for readers to sample.

I'm a sucker for brewing books. I know it will end up on my bookshelf.

Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
just bought a calendar on Amazon (trailer park boys, fyi) and it was the same price, 11 bucks US. Told me it was going to be delivered on the 2nd of January,

ended up here yesterday. Only took a week and a half to get here for the cheapest shipping method. Still was 35 bucks for an 11 dollar calendar :(

going to order another, plus this book :)

just bought a calendar on Amazon (trailer park boys, fyi) and it was the same price,

Trailer park boys??? :eek: mate I'll send you a calendar of BribieG in budgie smugglers for free! Actually BribieG in lab coat will be more on topic :icon_cheers:

Edit: OOPS just Googled Trailer Park Boys and not what I originally thought, obviously I've been checking out too many trailer park girls :lol:

just bought a calendar on Amazon (trailer park boys, fyi) and it was the same price, 11 bucks US. Told me it was going to be delivered on the 2nd of January,

ended up here yesterday. Only took a week and a half to get here for the cheapest shipping method. Still was 35 bucks for an 11 dollar calendar :(

Aaahh yes TPB. Favourite of mine. I watched it sunday nights at midnight (or there abouts) on comedy channel when i had fox -about five or so years back. Shit of a timeslot but worth the wait. Bought the first four seasons from Canada for an unreasonable price (mostly postage) then of course they started being released here. The TPB movie is a howler. I got it from Ca Amazon too. I seen an ad in the paper a coupla months back that it was showing in cinemas. Took a while but it got here. I sent the Australian TPB DVD distributers( magna pacific) an email a few weeks back asking bout when/if they were going to release the next few seasons on R4 but they said that there was currently no plan to do so at the moment. Anyone got any of the seasons past season 4? I would be happy to pay any costs if I could get my mitts on a copy.

Mostly work evenings so I've been living in blissfull ignorance of this show. I love Canadian comedy, when they were handing out sense of humour and general intelligence on the N American continent, most of it got handed to the Canadians. That's why the USA just doesn't get Canadian culture and heavily censores it when they do show it (eg Queer as Folks). I'll have to look around the torrentz.
Aplologies for totally hi jacking thread :rolleyes:

Aaahh yes TPB. Favourite of mine. I watched it sunday nights at midnight (or there abouts) on comedy channel when i had fox -about five or so years back. Shit of a timeslot but worth the wait. Bought the first four seasons from Canada for an unreasonable price (mostly postage) then of course they started being released here. The TPB movie is a howler. I got it from Ca Amazon too. I seen an ad in the paper a coupla months back that it was showing in cinemas. Took a while but it got here. I sent the Australian TPB DVD distributers( magna pacific) an email a few weeks back asking bout when/if they were going to release the next few seasons on R4 but they said that there was currently no plan to do so at the moment. Anyone got any of the seasons past season 4? I would be happy to pay any costs if I could get my mitts on a copy.

Hence Bubbles as your profile picture? Lahey and Randy are classic.

sorry to go off topic but if you PM me I have seasons 1 - 7 (7 being the final season), two movies, the christmas special, another special "say goodbye to the bad guys" (final one hour special for the show released yesterday in Canuckland), then the new movie comes out after Christmas.

let me know what you need and I'll burn and send. :)

Seasons 1 through to 4 all currently available through Quickflix, I'll rent a couple and dip my toes next week.

Randy's new book is very close to being available.
Has anyone pre-ordered it ?

Another book being published this year is by Drew Beechum. Everything homebrewing. Amazon link
Due out May 18.

Product Description
Theres no place like home for brewing beer. In this book, you learn the secrets of the master brewersand how you can brew you own beer yourself. Beginners and more experienced homebrewers alike will benefit from the expert tips and fresh ideas in this easy-to-follow, step-by-step guide. With this book, you learn how to:

* Choose among barley, hops, and malts
* Master the chemistry of homebrewing
* Take the appropriate cleaning and sanitizing steps
* Adapt the best recipes to their personal tastes
* Enter (and win!) beer competitions

Featuring 100 delicious recipes, this guide is all you need to ferment endless brewing possibilities. Cheers!

About the Author
Drew Beechum (Valley Village, CA) has been brewing for almost a decade and has won numerous medals for his beer. He was the president of the Maltose Falcons, Americas oldest homebrewing society, for four yearslonger than anyone else. Mr. Beechum also writes a monthly column for BeerAdvocate, the magazine on homebrewing and the culture surrounding it. He also writes several feature articles per year for Zymurgy, the journal of the American Homebrewers Association.

Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Book arrived yesterday from pre-order, Randy's usual highly graphic style and well written, I got it mainly for the food matching section, have only read a few pages but looks like a good one

Do you really need a book to tell you how to drink?

Been reading Randy's book. He links all the variables to how they affect the taste of beer very well. His enthusiasm is very infectious.

Damn the AU$.
Booking a holiday at the moment and was just complaining about the weak AU$ against the .
It isn't much better against the US$.
Hopefully I'll be in the US for work in the next couple of months, so might pick it up whilst up there. Otherwise maybe a combined order of both books.

I also flicked Chad/Shat an email (and got a reply) and TBN should be getting Drew back on around the time of the launch of the book.

Doc

This new book of Randy's is great, in depth, a great read and must have for the serious beer lover IMO.

Screwy

I got an email from the bookdespository.co.uk this morning and they have free shipping again. No affiliation, but the postage can add up on books so not paying it is a bonus.

Also noticed that there's a new edition of Wheeler's Brew Your Own British Real Ale . Sounds interesting, is anyone familiar with the earlier editions?

cheers

grant

I got an email from the bookdespository.co.uk this morning and they have free shipping again. No affiliation, but the postage can add up on books so not paying it is a bonus.

Also noticed that there's a new edition of Wheeler's Brew Your Own British Real Ale . Sounds interesting, is anyone familiar with the earlier editions?

cheers

grant

Thanks for the link Grant. Ive been wanting that one but stumbling over the shipping.

cheers
Andrew.

Latest posts

Back